Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-15, 02:26 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Japan has higher octane gas than just 94. So they can push the timing further than I think we could in North America.
Old 05-25-15, 05:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What is the octane rating of the fuel you'll be using pre and post tune?
Old 05-25-15, 06:26 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong and probably am! lol It would be great if there was more left in these engines//drivetrains.

And thanks for taking the initiative to try this. I know it's not cheap and easy but this is what it takes.
Old 05-25-15, 10:16 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

So having a look at wiki, in Japan premium is 100 octane (RON) which corresponds to about 94 octane (AKI) used in Canada and U.S.
Premium here (Canada) is around 91. The 94 stuff, which I don't use, is an ethanol blend. Because of the ethanol it would correspond to about 101.5 in Japan. Not sure from the wiki if Japanese premium is part ethanol or not. So if I'm willing to switch fuel, maybe I COULD add 30-40 whp with this
Old 05-26-15, 06:11 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I am using 91 octane for the dyno pulls. The same tank if I can put the miles on the car and still have gas to get to the shop.
Old 05-26-15, 06:18 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1256c
So having a look at wiki, in Japan premium is 100 octane (RON) which corresponds to about 94 octane (AKI) used in Canada and U.S.
Premium here (Canada) is around 91. The 94 stuff, which I don't use, is an ethanol blend. Because of the ethanol it would correspond to about 101.5 in Japan. Not sure from the wiki if Japanese premium is part ethanol or not. So if I'm willing to switch fuel, maybe I COULD add 30-40 whp with this
I did some more research in regards to the 30-40rwhp gains from the SARD ECU tune for the JDM IS-F and IS350 and in regards to the octane used, here's what I found:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8535355

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts

To everyone that is concern about the ECU reflash.
SARD Racing is simply bringing out the full potential from the ISF that should be coming from stock.
They are not cracking the ECU or any add on reflash ecu box like VW/Audi etc.
They are rewriting the whole map in the ECU with the data provided by Toyota and Denso Japan.
SARD Racing are Lexus Racing Team in Japan, they race with Lexus and they work on Toyota and Lexus everyday.
http://www.sard.co.jp/race_r/
All Japanese tuner who tune Lexus are using SARD Racing device, the base map is all written by SARD Racing. Novel, iCode etc etc.

I asked SARD Japan, they said their tuning do not have any problem with Lexus Japan.
Their customer are able to go back to the dealer and warranty is valid.
The dealer program will not be able to detect if you ECU is reflashed or not.
The tuning is written base on 91 U.S. Fuel = 95 JP Fuel.
(Require to fill up with 91 Gas or UP.)

What does SARD ECU tuning do?

- fuel injection timing
- ignition timing
- Throttle control
- Throttle response
- Rewrite the transmission program to increase the accelerator response and linear
- Faster shifting time
- Increase midrange accelerate speed and response
- 7-12% increase in HP.
- Cancel the speed limiter.

Thank you

Nigel
Old 05-26-15, 09:55 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Huh, I had always thought that SARD only made a tune for the ISF?

So then if this is true, then simply raising the rev limiter and tuning the ecu a bit can bring a big increase in power to the is350? That would be awesome if this is true. But I can't help but wonder how this affects the reliability of the vehicle in the long term
If tuned correctly the only potential problem would be with the raised rev limited, and even if the rev limiter is raised, how often are you really going to go over the factory limit?

People are forgetting that it has been possible to tune these cars with the MAPECU3 piggyback, there just hasn't been an easy plug and play option that works.
Old 05-26-15, 10:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I did some more research in regards to the 30-40rwhp gains from the SARD ECU tune for the JDM IS-F and IS350 and in regards to the octane used, here's what I found:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8535355
Just to make sure the comparison is clear - SARD worked with Lexus / Toyota on their product being discussed in that thread. It's a re-write of the ECU, not a piggy back that intercepts and updates air/fuel. Definitely would set expectations that they are two VERY different products.

From what I've read of the RRM product, sounds pretty much the same as an Apexi AFC. It makes more power simply by making your car run a bit leaner by adjusting the air/fuel mixture. If so, the good news is that it typically works well. Manufacturers leave a bit of 'room on the table' with a margin to keep engines a bit more reliable and safer. A bit more aggressive mixture is typically still pretty safe and makes a bit more power. Having the ability to tune for other mods (intake, exhaust, headers, etc) is also good.

The downside is that being leaner is a little less safe / reliable. You are likely going to void any engine warranty should you still have if there is an issue and its discovered. Also, the Lexus ECUs across most models tend to adapt over time and you'll lose the benefits of the tune unless you reset the factory ECU. So the dyno you get at 100 miles might look great but at 1000 miles you might be back closer to your baseline.

Certainly don't have any direct experience with this product, just sharing the pros/cons from a bunch that sound like they're similar.
Old 05-26-15, 10:39 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just to make sure the comparison is clear - SARD worked with Lexus / Toyota on their product being discussed in that thread. It's a re-write of the ECU, not a piggy back that intercepts and updates air/fuel. Definitely would set expectations that they are two VERY different products.
Absolutely! The topic of SARD Racing's involvement with Lexus/Toyota in the past was in response to how much untapped power is potentially available to gain from the stock 2GR-FSE NA setup.
Old 05-26-15, 02:39 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If everything go well would love to get one 7-12% increase HP.
Old 05-26-15, 05:06 PM
lexus316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you receive it?
How much does it cost?
I havent find any link on their web site
Old 05-27-15, 12:14 AM
jrule2
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
If tuned correctly the only potential problem would be with the raised rev limited, and even if the rev limiter is raised, how often are you really going to go over the factory limit?

People are forgetting that it has been possible to tune these cars with the MAPECU3 piggyback, there just hasn't been an easy plug and play option that works.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...the-title.html

Don't forget the F-Con IS which has also been out there for a long time.
Old 05-27-15, 08:01 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Road Race Motorsports has very little posted about this. Did anyone ask them if it allows adjustment to timing? There is a link someone provided to a mitsubishi that indicates timing can be adjusted for that car. If this would allow timing adjustment for the ISx50, then that would be an improvement over the MAPECU3 (I know nothing about F-Con), but if no timing adjust, I don't know where you'd see improvement over MAPECU3. Did anyone ever do a before and after dyno on the MAPECU3? I know one member here had one, and from memory I recall 10whp, but as I get older my memory is as flawed as the rest of me. i.e. I can't remember who had it, but I think he got his car seized.
Old 05-27-15, 10:04 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes I did recieve it. here is what came from RRM..

Box included the fuel calibrater module, 2 zip ties, double sided tape, a tuner program disc and install instructions. Oh and like 4 RRM stickers. The module is plugged in now but I have yet to put miles on it. As you can see, it is a MAF interference device so timing adjustments are not a option. Unless you can somehow adjust that through a MAF. I think the difference between this and the MAPECU3 is they claim this one will keep countering the corrections the ECU puts out. We will see though.

I think after the 100mile dyno, I'm going to let my tuner get ahold of it and let me know what this thing is really doing. 1000 miles dyno pulls might be in order as well.
Old 05-27-15, 10:36 AM
lexus316
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool
How much $$$

Quick Reply: Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test