Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Road Race Motorsports Piggy back dyno test

Old 06-26-15, 08:04 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm lost on the E85 thing. You added E85 to your tank? How would that lean you out? If anything you hurt your power output because the E85 has less power than pure gas. I know E85 is more stable, hence why guys use it on turbo apps, But we have no way of effecting out timing so we can not take advangtage of this. Help me out on what you did.
Old 06-26-15, 09:44 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I'm lost on the E85 thing. You added E85 to your tank? How would that lean you out? If anything you hurt your power output because the E85 has less power than pure gas. I know E85 is more stable, hence why guys use it on turbo apps, But we have no way of effecting out timing so we can not take advangtage of this. Help me out on what you did.
Less gas more ethanol = leaner

Yes E85 is less power dense than gasoline but that is way you inject 30% more E85 than gasoline. In the end you make more power because it has a higher octane rating and cools the intake charge. On this experiment I am making more power because I am running leaner therefore closer to the optimal AFR for power.
Old 06-26-15, 10:38 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Leaner? Ethanol is fuel. Would be injected just like normal fuel at the same amount. You are not leaning your car out. AFR, Air/Fuel (any fuel) ratio would still the same....right? You are just getting a more stable, less powerful fuel. I am still lost on how this would help in a non boosted set up where timing can not be changed.

An octane rating is not power, it is stablity. Stabilty that you can not take advantage of because your timing is set by the ECU (out of your control).

I get the intake charge cooling concept. Same principle of one of nitrous' perks.

I'm legitametly lost on this. Anyone have a link to some kind of testing or explaination to this?
Old 06-26-15, 07:19 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Leaner? Ethanol is fuel. Would be injected just like normal fuel at the same amount. You are not leaning your car out. AFR, Air/Fuel (any fuel) ratio would still the same....right? You are just getting a more stable, less powerful fuel. I am still lost on how this would help in a non boosted set up where timing can not be changed.

An octane rating is not power, it is stablity. Stabilty that you can not take advantage of because your timing is set by the ECU (out of your control).

I get the intake charge cooling concept. Same principle of one of nitrous' perks.

I'm legitametly lost on this. Anyone have a link to some kind of testing or explaination to this?
Maybe I am not explaining correctly but you need 30% more injector for E85.

If you are at 60% IDC with gasoline and run E85 you will at 90% IDC. If you look at my AFRs you will see that my car was running rich for a NA motor on gasoline only but by adding 30% E85/ E30 I was able run a more optimal AFR for power. You can make power from leaning out the mixture and also by adding timing. In this case I just lean out the mixture....
Old 07-20-15, 11:48 PM
atomiclex
Driver

Default Road Race Motorsports Piggy back

It has been a week since I installed the piggy back and I can honestly say I feel the difference. the first thing that had me buy it was my experience with the piggyback for my last car which was a Lancer GTS. I dont have any numbers to show however I will say I was very happy with the power from it. MPG did go down but I can deal with that if I get the extra power. installation was pretty simple.
Old 08-25-15, 02:33 PM
4grDrvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buister
Skyshadow, thanks for testing this device and post the results. Don't listen to the naysayers. They don't understand the difference between open-loop and closed-loop. This device alters the A/F ratio in open-loop only. In this mode, the car relies completely in a look-up map that is stored in the car's ECU. It has nothing to do with the oxygen sensor. Whenever the car accelerates, it is running open-loop. That's when this device makes a difference. It simply subtracts the fuel injection voltage that is sent from the ECU to increase the A/F ratio as you saw on the dyno graph. So what I'm trying to say is when you dyno it again in 1000 miles, the AF graph should not change (or go back to stock). Also don't be bothered by the mere 6hp. Based on the before and after dyno you got, I bet that your 1/4-mile time is improved by possibly 1/2 sec. The increased area under the curve is what matters.
^^he beat me to it... he is absolutely correct.. as for the 1/2 sec in 1/4 mile ET.. debateable... but then again you cant compare a simple 10 hp gain (top end) to this estimate.. torque is what "pulls" you down the road.. so increasing it ~15hp in the midrange like that through all gears, I bet he is close.. def more than a .10 second gain.. but seriously he says "I bet" and "possibly" and you guys rule him out..

That's the thing with forums.. there are always "nay-sayers" because "they know a guy who did..." hats off to you for taking a step outside of the crowd.. If I am understanding the setup of your RRM device, its doing the same thing that MAPECU does as far as fuel tuning is concerned.. MAF intercept.. this is just more plugNplay it seems. And to clarify MAPECU can control timing. 06isDriver chose not to touch it at first..

As for dip in the (stock) HP curve.. look at the AFR dip.. and then tell me it shouldn't be there.. lol. If you don't believe me, go look at PPE's dyno that they list on their website.. dip is still there (stock/before)..

But honestly you paid a little too much for this device. Not to **** in your lemonade.. essentially it does what an Apexi SAFC would do for you.. depending on how many tuning points it has.. and one of those can be had for about ~$200.. depending on which version you get.. but then again.. that isn't plug and play.. you have to hardwire it in.. don't be ashamed of your gains so far.. that's a good mid range increase.. more area under the curve is always more fun IMO... and it will only get better with more bolt-ons..

As you started to say.. the more you bolt on.. the more the tuning is needed and the more you benefit.. headers install will definitely benefit more with the proper tuning.. looking forward to getting my MAPECU3 and PPE's on soon.. just too D**N HOT! lol..

Last edited by 4grDrvr; 08-28-15 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Changed VAFC to SAFC. Typo
Old 08-27-15, 08:01 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Apexi VAFC work for our car? I thought that was more of a vtec controller?