Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2uz intake to 3uz gs430

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 09:10 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 2uz intake to 3uz gs430

Just as the title says. In my pursuit for more horsepower and torque, I'm now going to be testing a newer 2uz 4.7 liter composite plastic intake manifold off a 2005 and up tundra or gx470. the reason why is because of multiple reasons. first being, the intake manifold is a composite plastic which is lighter than the aluminum ones and are much better at heat resistance to keep the intake temps down. second, the 2uz intake still has the variable length runners. longer length for lowend torque than the butterflies open at 4000k and the intake length is shortened for topend. third, the overall height is taller which makes the initial incoming air into the cylinder heads longer travel which should cause a higher torque output at lower rpms. yes there maybe a trade off up top but that is to be determined. for someone like me, Im trying to balance things out after putting the big 20's on the ole' 430. The downsides to this is going to be figuring out the different throttle body setups. Now on both throttle bodies between the gs430 and the 4.7 platform, there are a total of six pins for circuits that control the throttle bodies, two of the terminals control the operation of the electric motor that controls the throttle blade and the other four are for tps sensors correlations. however, the gs430 has its own two pin connector for the throttle motor and the new 2uz throttle body has one big six pin connector for everything. the easiest thing to do would be to use the 2uz throttle body and buy whats called a pigtail with the six wires and splice them into the gs4xx harness. also you'll notice the bolt holes for the throttle body on the 2uz will only work with the 2uz intake. I'll keep my fellow members posted as to the progress. thanks for reading.
Old 04-23-15, 12:43 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the throttle body on the 2UZ that much larger to actually need to change it, or is it just because of the mounting? I'm just wondering if it might actually be easier to just have an adapter fab'd up to mount the 3UZ tb to the 2UZ intake manifold? Also, are you going to be using both the upper/lower parts of the manifold or just one end? Finally, will you be porting/polishing (not sure how this will work out on a plastic piece) either the intake manifold or tb?

Interested to see how this goes and good luck with it. Subscribed.
Old 04-23-15, 06:20 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default northstyle

part of the main reason im going the plastic intake route is because of the plastic overall having a smoother intake tract for the air to flow thru. thus no need for porting and polishing. the throttle body mounting for the 2uz is different. it would be much easier to just use the 2uz throttle body and buy the pigtail that is made for it and rewire the gs430 harness to make it work. the 2uz composite intake will obviously be used as one piece.
Old 04-23-15, 12:03 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Ahhh... I see. Well, looking forward to seeing how it turns out and hopefully you'll have positive results (that the rest of us can benefit from ).
Old 05-30-15, 10:22 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default more than planned

This intake project has turned out to be more than I anticipated. But being a car guy with a hint of stubbornness, I've decided to ride it till the wheels fall off. I initially started off with a bare plastic intake manifold off of a 2006 tundra.I bought the bare intake because I planned on swapping over the fuel rail and injectors from my 3uz intake but I quickly discovered that the 3uz injectors are a diff. design and will not fit in the 2uz intake because their air assisted so their wider at the base. So I had to jump back on ebay and scoop up the 2006 fuel rail and injectors that luckily flow within a few cc's of fuel flow as my 3uz injectors. even after that I now have to seal off the return fuel line on the 2uz because my 3uz is a direct fuel line with no return. Now im on to fabbing up an adapter for using my 3uz throttle body. I just didn't feel like screwing with the wiring and pigtails. So far it's making progress. Ill update pics as I go.
Old 06-14-15, 02:32 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?
Old 06-14-15, 07:50 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default updates

as of updates I have made progress. I went and bought brand new o rings for the brown 2uz fuel injectors from Toyota. cost like 45 just for orings. than had to figure out what to do with the return fuel line. what I did was removed the rubber fuel hose just after the fuel pressure regulator than crimped the metal line that hose connected to than welded it closed. than for safe measure, removed the fuel pressure regulator and added a second weld inside of the regulator than reinstalled it back into the fuel rail. so now that the fuel rail portion and injectors have been trimmed to fit the 3uz injector connectors, I moved onto the throttle body. at first I was going to fabricate an adapter to allow the 3uz throttle body to fit the 2uz intake but after multiple trips to lowes for some kind of adapter that would work I wound up mocking up the 3uz throttle body and figured out how to mount it directly to the 2uz plastic intake with only slight wollowing of the mounting holes in the 3uz throttle body. Im probably going to install it sometime this week. Im also in the middle of trying to find the time to install my brand new dragon torque converter. id like to install the intake first to feel the results before the converter goes on. ill keep yall posted.
Old 06-15-15, 08:47 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=badblackgs;9076467 Im also in the middle of trying to find the time to install my brand new dragon torque converter. [/QUOTE]

Not to go too far off topic but what stall did you get?
Old 06-15-15, 09:20 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default gsjake

2800 stall. got it from a company here in texas called lightning force performance. 803 shipped to my door. I read every single post there is about that converter and that stall and it seems like a total crap shoot. my cars production date is july 2002. so even if it does set a light, depending on how often it occurs, than ill just clear the code but if it begins feeling ghetto fix. than ill restall it down to 2600. all I care about is being able to light the tires from a stop. without brake standing it. its gonna be awesome though. I have the 3.76 lsd diff. from a 96 tt supra and the other day in the drizzle, I whipped a donut effortlessly. that needs to occur on dry pavement.
Old 06-16-15, 09:23 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
2800 stall. got it from a company here in texas called lightning force performance. 803 shipped to my door. I read every single post there is about that converter and that stall and it seems like a total crap shoot. my cars production date is july 2002. so even if it does set a light, depending on how often it occurs, than ill just clear the code but if it begins feeling ghetto fix. than ill restall it down to 2600. all I care about is being able to light the tires from a stop. without brake standing it. its gonna be awesome though. I have the 3.76 lsd diff. from a 96 tt supra and the other day in the drizzle, I whipped a donut effortlessly. that needs to occur on dry pavement.
When I had mine done PI said they cant really dial it in at 200 RPM incriments. He said they go from super tight (about 2450 stall) to the next level which would be your 2800.
I also have the LSD but kept my stock 3:23 gearing.

I love mine and not ONE CEL!

Cool! Keep us posted.
Old 06-16-15, 02:00 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

GSJake - How'd you go about keeping the stock gearing with the Supra LSD? I wanted to get one but the stock 3.76 gearing would kill my mileage on the autobahn
Old 06-17-15, 07:38 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
GSJake - How'd you go about keeping the stock gearing with the Supra LSD? I wanted to get one but the stock 3.76 gearing would kill my mileage on the autobahn
Hello NorthStyle.
I bought just the torsen carrier. Took it to a shop and had them swap out the open unit and place my ring and pinion on the torsen.
The 3.76 does not really affect 0-60 times like it should as the trans shifts from 2-3 right at 60 with the steeper gearing as it holds onto 2 right after 60 with the 3.23, so the gains are really limited.
Old 06-19-15, 09:10 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

what year is your car and the production date GSJAKE?
Old 06-22-15, 07:05 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
what year is your car and the production date GSJAKE?
My car is an 04.
I should note that 04-05 diff's are not the same as 98-03. They changed the housing for the last 2 years of gen 2 production and its not plug and play like 98-03. Just an FYI.
Old 06-22-15, 07:56 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default gs jake

Do you think that tire wheel size and gearing has anything to do with the cel lights that people with converters were getting? Because the code that pops up is for excessive slippage if im not mistaken. so if the gearing or tire size affects the actual output shaft rpm based off of tire wheel speed. than hmmm... Why is it that some get it and some don't? and yes I need to hurry up and get it installed I've just been busy with work stuff. still haven't put that 2uz plastic intake on either.

Quick Reply: 2uz intake to 3uz gs430