CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Supercharger Kit for your IS350?
Absolutely! I would purchase if available.
59.26%
I might be interested.
34.26%
Not really that interested.
5.56%
What's a Supercharger?
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 12:50 AM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN
We have secured exclusivity rights and have a car on its way
Can't wait to see the results of this
Old 05-09-15, 07:06 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you are gauging interest I would much prefer this be a roots/twin screw/Whipple type setup as opposed to centrifugal.
Mike
Old 05-11-15, 08:43 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
As long as you are gauging interest I would much prefer this be a roots/twin screw/Whipple type setup as opposed to centrifugal.
Mike
We did discuss this and we don't see a way to fit one without modifying the hood
Old 05-11-15, 12:11 PM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Mike
We did discuss this and we don't see a way to fit one without modifying the hood
I am a big fan of the twin scroll SCs since they provide an increase in power from idle and up (Positive Displacement); it would be my first choice. But centrifugal SCs are more easy to install and remind me of a turbo, yet lack on the low end. Overall, I'd be happy with any setup that adds a sweet sound to the car, has minimal maintenance, and is reliable.

You can put me down for one of the first orders. I'm hoping the first group of people will get an extra special introductory pricing. I'll be sure to do reviews and put a vinyl sticker on my car . Keep me posted!!!
Old 05-11-15, 01:37 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is this going to affect the hood? will there be huge bump on the hood after installing the supercharger?
Old 05-12-15, 10:12 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shirosan
I am a big fan of the twin scroll SCs since they provide an increase in power from idle and up (Positive Displacement); it would be my first choice. But centrifugal SCs are more easy to install and remind me of a turbo, yet lack on the low end. Overall, I'd be happy with any setup that adds a sweet sound to the car, has minimal maintenance, and is reliable.

You can put me down for one of the first orders. I'm hoping the first group of people will get an extra special introductory pricing. I'll be sure to do reviews and put a vinyl sticker on my car . Keep me posted!!!
Glad to hear you are excited for the kit. I got your email yesterday and was super busy. I'll be in touch.

Originally Posted by Sexis350
how is this going to affect the hood? will there be huge bump on the hood after installing the supercharger?
Because of the amount of hood clearance on in the Lexus, putting a positive displacement blower on top of the intake manifold would create space issues. We could potential test a couple ideas, but the easiest/simplest packaging would be with a centrifugal. If we did positive displacement, it would probably require a power dome hood like we had on the 350Z and G35...

This adds a lot to the cost, and I don't think it would look so great on the IS, GS, or RC.
Old 05-12-15, 10:38 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah not a fan of hood modification. so centrifugal requires no hood modifications? What are the disadvantages of it vs other ones?
Old 05-12-15, 10:44 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
yeah not a fan of hood modification. so centrifugal requires no hood modifications? What are the disadvantages of it vs other ones?
Needs to spool, so you don't build boost right from idle.
Old 05-12-15, 06:03 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
Yes and the centrifugals require more maintenance usually and can just be more finicky. You don't see the OEM using them. I track the is350 and I wouldn't go with a centrifugal. Its too expensive to throw away a great track weekend because a part doesn't work on the car.
Mike
Old 05-12-15, 06:08 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your supercharger is broken, they make boost any time the bypass valve closes even with something as small as a P1SC.
In fact, the power delivery of a centri is nice because you don't have a bunch of torque that causes excess wheel spin with even minor throttle application.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-12-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 10:02 AM
shirosan
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Unless your supercharger is broken, they make boost any time the bypass valve closes even with something as small as a P1SC.
In fact, the power delivery of a centri is nice because you don't have a bunch of torque that causes excess wheel spin with even minor throttle application.
Exactly, there's nothing wrong with a centrifugal setup. Actually, I'm pretty stoked for it since they have a unique sound instead of a "whine" that the positive displacement SCs have.

Plus, I don't see this hindering track times (I believe it would balance out) unless there is a substantial parasitic loss from the SC. Overall, still stoked and itching for more details. It is a very exciting add-on for the Lexus that we don't usually see.
Old 05-14-15, 11:41 AM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
True, but it makes less boost down low compared to a screw/roots SC.

I'm not saying they're bad. Sexis350 asked for the disadvantages, and I listed the only one I could think of. I'd prefer centrifugal to other options TBH.

What I want the most is a turbo kit though, but this will do just fine
Old 05-14-15, 01:57 PM
R8RDIVA
Driver School Candidate

100% would buy this right now if it was available for my 350.
Old 05-14-15, 01:58 PM
CJW
Pole Position

I like the idea of this, but I'm thinking at 7k or so and by the time it's released, I might just be in the market for a new S3/S4 that are significantly faster out of the gate.
Old 05-14-15, 04:38 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

True, but it makes less boost down low compared to a screw/roots SC.

I'm not saying they're bad. Sexis350 asked for the disadvantages, and I listed the only one I could think of. I'd prefer centrifugal to other options TBH.

What I want the most is a turbo kit though, but this will do just fine
The way you posted it makes it sound like a poorly built turbo kit. I was just clarifying that they will make boost from idle if you go WOT and the bypass closes, since it's connected directly to the engine.

Quick Reply: Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll