CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Supercharger Kit for your IS350?
Absolutely! I would purchase if available.
59.26%
I might be interested.
34.26%
Not really that interested.
5.56%
What's a Supercharger?
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll

Old 04-24-15, 07:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlin89
^^^ what he said. it doesn't even have to be 100hp increase, as long as it stays reliable I'll be happy with a 50hp bump.
he said 100+ whp It's worth the extra weight of the supercharger
Maybe the bumper could be replaced by aluminum or something and use lightweight battery to offset the weight gained.

don't really matter though because the v8 is front heavy too.

IF it does come true, please test it in Sports+ mode to see how the shifting affects the system.
Old 04-25-15, 06:11 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of you guys squaking about reliability clearly don't understand how aftermarket FI works. Stillen can make the supercharger itself reliable, but whether or not your engine remains reliable after it is installed will primarily come down to the tune.

Get your car TUNED properly and it should be nice and reliable.
Old 04-25-15, 07:30 AM
Frisky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STILLEN
Hey Everyone!

As many of you know, STILLEN has been a major manufacturer of performance parts in the Nissan/Infiniti market for over 20 years. We have expanded into other markets in the past with good success and are now looking to move head first in the Lexus scene. Some of our notable achievements have been attaining CARB Certification on almost all of our Performance Intake Systems, and being the only Supercharger Manufacturer offering an aftermarket warranty on Nissan/Infiniti Supercharger Kits.

Building off our success with Supercharger Kits Engineered for Nissan/Infiniti applications, we are looking into building Supercharger Kits for the Lexus RC350, 3rd Gen IS350, and 4th Gen GS350. We do not have any details to release at this time, but the initial goals for the kits would be to maintain Lexus Reliability while gaining 100+ whp. Price point would likely be in the $6000-$7000 range.

We would like to get the community feedback and gauge interest on such kits. If there is enough demand, we would like to move forward with this project.

Thanks for your time!

To answer a few questions I know will come up:
Q: Will the kits be available for the 2nd Gen IS350 and 3rd Gen GS350?
A: We will not be developing kits specifically for these models. If the kit happens to work that would be a pleasant surprise, but we will not be doing the development work on either of those models.

Q: Will the kit offer a warranty?
A: Not initially.

Q: Will the kit be CARB Legal?
A: Because of the substantial investment we do not have initial plans for getting the kit through CARB, but it may be something we will look into as our other kits are CARB Legal.
Yes I would be interested in any kit for Lexus. I have RC350 F Sport and it uses the an engine variant that has been supercharged in both Australia and Overseas. Any idea if any of your proposed Supercharger models would be suitable for the RC350.
Old 04-25-15, 10:42 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frisky
Yes I would be interested in any kit for Lexus. I have RC350 F Sport and it uses the an engine variant that has been supercharged in both Australia and Overseas. Any idea if any of your proposed Supercharger models would be suitable for the RC350.
link to a supercharged RC350 F Sports please. I was not able to find it on the internet. Maybe you are thinking about the v8 F model.
Old 04-25-15, 10:57 AM
breezytint
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES!!!!!!! Please move forward with this project...

It's been way too long and quite underpower......
Old 04-25-15, 12:55 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by a790
A lot of you guys squaking about reliability clearly don't understand how aftermarket FI works. Stillen can make the supercharger itself reliable, but whether or not your engine remains reliable after it is installed will primarily come down to the tune.

Get your car TUNED properly and it should be nice and reliable.
I don't think you clearly understand either...

To add more depth,

Not only a proper tune is needed for obvious purposes, but how much power can stock internals handle in this car? How much power can our transmission handle?

Can Stillen promise +100whp of reliability with the above stated?

Let's get this going Stillen! Lexus owners have been waiting close to a decade for this.
Old 04-26-15, 10:07 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i easily paid 4k more for the 100 more hp from 250 to 350. If i can make my car a 450 that would be great
Old 04-26-15, 02:01 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I don't think you clearly understand either...

To add more depth,

Not only a proper tune is needed for obvious purposes, but how much power can stock internals handle in this car? How much power can our transmission handle?

Can Stillen promise +100whp of reliability with the above stated?

Let's get this going Stillen! Lexus owners have been waiting close to a decade for this.
I think you missed my point.

Stillen isn't going to ship out a kit w/ new rods, rings, piston heads, etc. Won't happen. That's on you to purchase if you want them.

So, when you come in here and go "sure, but will it be reliable" I can't help but laugh. It's hilarious that you're contemplating adding a SUPERCHARGER to your car so long as "it's reliable".

If your main focus is reliability, don't strap a supercharger on to the V6. Pretty easy, don'tcha think?
Old 04-26-15, 02:02 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by Sexis350
i easily paid 4k more for the 100 more hp from 250 to 350. If i can make my car a 450 that would be great
You'd need to bore the engine out to 4.5L for it to be a 450
Old 04-26-15, 08:51 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Stillen isn't going to ship out a kit w/ new rods, rings, piston heads, etc. Won't happen. That's on you to purchase if you want them.

So, when you come in here and go "sure, but will it be reliable" I can't help but laugh. It's hilarious that you're contemplating adding a SUPERCHARGER to your car so long as "it's reliable".

If your main focus is reliability, don't strap a supercharger on to the V6. Pretty easy, don'tcha think?
I never said anything about them shipping out "new rods, rings piston heads, etc." with the kit.

The community (anyone and everyone) hopes Stillen makes a reliable supercharger(+100whp) with stock internals in mind, instead of making a supercharger that adds +100whp when our stock internals can only handle +50whp. Of course, everything can be tuned and ugpraded.

Technically you're saying, all aftermarket turbos, and superchargers will be unreliable on any car if they fit the application. Have you even boosted, son?

I can't help but laugh...
Old 04-27-15, 10:07 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN
Thanks for the great feedback, replies, and votes. Keep it up
Honestly, people will go in many directions on this topic. Bottom line, weather it would be 50whp or 100whp I like the fact of having a forced induction (FI) part on my 3IS 350. Personally, I loved the sound, the torque increase, and questions people ask when they are shocked a Lexus has performance parts.

I almost built my own turbo kit for the IS350 even though the ECU has limited tuning only to a company or two in Japan (for development/race purposes). But 7 PSI would be safe on this engine no prob and those that understand how Lexus produces their autos, we all know they are capable of more power but underpowered for a reason: long term reliability. You build a good car and put limitations on it to make it last.

All in all, keep me on your list or shoot me a PM when you need some support. I'm excited to see a vendor take interest in this and not just those who drive the car. Looking forward to hearing some more information.
Old 04-27-15, 12:06 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I never said anything about them shipping out "new rods, rings piston heads, etc." with the kit.

The community (anyone and everyone) hopes Stillen makes a reliable supercharger(+100whp) with stock internals in mind, instead of making a supercharger that adds +100whp when our stock internals can only handle +50whp. Of course, everything can be tuned and ugpraded.

Technically you're saying, all aftermarket turbos, and superchargers will be unreliable on any car if they fit the application. Have you even boosted, son?

I can't help but laugh...
What the hell are you talking about?

My point is that Stillen can't make any promises regarding reliability about anything that they don't include in the kit. There are too many variables for them to consider. All they can do is build a kit that fits, ship it with a tune that "works", and leave the rest up to you.

For ****s sake, you're talking about strapping on a supercharger on to the car and you're yammering on about "reliability". You can make certain expectations like that if the car came boosted, but anyone with any amount of common sense (you aren't included, don't worry) should quickly come to the understanding that the reliability component of the modification will rest almost entirely with them.

The tune, how you drive, type of fuel you use, etc. all play a part in the "reliability" equation.

Can Stillen make a reliable superhcarger? Of course they can. They've made millions. But the supercharger won't be the component that fails... it'll be the rings, or a piston, or a head gasket, or any number of other things that are likely to fail long before the supercharger does (hence my comment regarding them). Make sense now, chuckles?

The question you should be asking is: what is it going to take to add 100whp with the supercharger and still have a reliable vehicle? Of course, that's also a question that nobody can really answer since it's never been tested with the IS.
Old 04-27-15, 01:29 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I believe the engine is very capable and its obviously de-tuned for reliability.

From what I've read, Lotus Evora S uses same engine as ours with same specs with Eaton supercharger and their engine management system producing about 345 hp at 7k rpm. No internal upgrades.

I wonder if Stillen made a deal with Lotus to use their EM since piggyback system will eventually be over-written by Toyota's EM. But given the price point, it sounds more like piggyback system.
Old 04-27-15, 05:00 PM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frisky
RC350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll

I would be a similar kit, but most likely a little different due to engine bay dimensions.

We have made many "reliable" supercharger kits for the Infiniti/Nissan line up. Yes, forced induction will always add some stress to an engine. We will not make a kit that puts so much stress on the engine that it is likely to fail. Reliability is relative. We can make it reliable for a aftermarket forced induction car. We have many kits out there with well over 100k miles on them. Just a little extra maintenance and you are usually good to go.
Old 04-28-15, 12:15 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I believe the engine is very capable and its obviously de-tuned for reliability.

From what I've read, Lotus Evora S uses same engine as ours with same specs with Eaton supercharger and their engine management system producing about 345 hp at 7k rpm. No internal upgrades.

I wonder if Stillen made a deal with Lotus to use their EM since piggyback system will eventually be over-written by Toyota's EM. But given the price point, it sounds more like piggyback system.
does the Evora 400 have internal upgrade? it's rated at 400hp. The supercharger is lightweight too.

also...seems someone can do ecu upgrade? http://www.hangar111.com/lotus/toyot...rger-upgrades/

seems our engine can take some punishment. Here's a product with ECU flash http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Evora/Su...S-Evora-S.html

Last edited by sam430; 04-28-15 at 12:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll