Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhausts loudness comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 09:16 AM
spiceboy23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhausts loudness comparison

First of all, I got a 2014 IS350 AWD F-sport

So I've been reading up on all the exhaust options and watching all the YouTubes available. At the end of the day it's still confusing as hell since most of the clips can't capture the real sound.
Anyway, I am looking for something in between a catback and an axleback, in terms of loudness. I was really tempted to get the F-sport exhaust and get the factory warranty and all, but many of you don't like how "quiet" it is. I don't want to go all out with an ARK or Joe Z (these are not available YET for AWD anyway) which might be too loud for my taste.
So help me with putting together this spectrum in terms of loudness. From what I understand:

Stock < F-sport < Tanabe < TRD < Magnaflow < Meistershaft < ARK < Joe Z

Feel free to chime in. Based on my research, I believe Magnaflow might be most fitting for my taste. Perhaps F-sport + aftermarket intake is a better combo?
Old 03-31-15, 09:51 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO Meistershaft GT Haus is the loudest > Agency Power > Invidia > JoeZ (this is where it starts to have a throaty sound instead of raspiness) > Ark

I'm not familiar with the other ones.
Old 03-31-15, 10:13 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F Sport is definitely the most subtle. I personally prefer it over the others, because the sound really only kicks in when you give the car gas. I drive on the interstate for most of my commute, so no drone was a huge selling point for me.
Old 03-31-15, 10:38 AM
spiceboy23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HanaleiISF
F Sport is definitely the most subtle. I personally prefer it over the others, because the sound really only kicks in when you give the car gas. I drive on the interstate for most of my commute, so no drone was a huge selling point for me.
^THIS
Many moons ago I had a Honda Prelude with a GReddy exhaust and would wake up my neighbors coming home. Fast forward 16 years and I just can't stand those notes anymore.

I'm hoping to get something a little bit more noticeable than the F-sport. Something similar to the Infiniti G37 would be the best.

How does an aftermarket intake + F-sport exhaust combo change the sound comparing to just the F-sport exhaust? The synthesized intake noise would be gone with an aftermarket unit, wouldn't that make it quieter?
Old 03-31-15, 11:54 AM
is3501007
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

here's my tommy kaira axleback exhaust on my 350 =]

Old 03-31-15, 02:28 PM
Ecko508
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ARK grip exhaust sounds amazing. personally think its the best sounding for the IS
Old 03-31-15, 04:32 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What? FSport is most quiet ?? No way! FSport is one of the loudest axle back exhaust on 2IS lol.

Megan Midpipe + FSport exhaust on 2IS is one of the best combo on 2IS

Tanabe is the most quiet there.

I'm not sure if Lexus dumb the sound down on FSport for 3IS lol but it sounds awesome in 2IS.

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-31-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 09:01 AM
spiceboy23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
What? FSport is most quiet ?? No way! FSport is one of the loudest axle back exhaust on 2IS lol.
Unfortunately yes. Lexus has dumbed down the exhaust note on the F-sport piece for 3IS
Old 04-01-15, 09:14 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spiceboy23
Unfortunately yes. Lexus has dumbed down the exhaust note on the F-sport piece for 3IS
What the hell is Lexus doing?
3IS is dumbed down on speed, slower than 2IS.
3IS is bumped up on weight, fatter than 2IS.
FSport exhaust is dumbed down on sound on 3IS while the same FSport exhaust is loud on 2IS
I heard the FSport intake is dumbed down on sound as well vs. the one on 2IS

Other brand moves forward while Lexus goes backward!

Anyways, back to topic, I would get the JoeZ in your case, it has proven HP gain on 2IS (10HP or so) and sound very aggressive and yet not riced out loud. I heard JoeZ on 3IS platform in person too, sound as good.
Old 04-01-15, 09:34 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Aesthetics hide these well enough to make me buy one. A bump on weight makes me want to think it's a sturdier car. Speed shouldn't be different by that much, considering the added weight is not too dramatic. FSport was louder for the 2IS vs 3IS, but there are other better options (less pricier too). I could say the same thing with the Intake.
Old 04-01-15, 09:48 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Some members have raced the 2IS bone stock vs 3IS with intake/exhausts and the 2IS walks them every time by 2-5 car length and that is a lot. The speed is not just slowed down by weight, it is also by its transmission refinement. The 3IS 350 no longer has the final drive ratio 4.08 which is super aggressive on the 2IS.

Yeah, the exterior especially the front with FSport package and the LFA cluster is enough for me to buy the 3IS. I'm actually thinking of trading in one of my IS to get the 3IS 350 FSport or a used ISF soon in the future. That is why I have been watching the thread on 3IS sub-forum regarding various mods.
Old 04-01-15, 10:32 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Intake exhaust just adds about 10hp, not much there. As for the differential, I heard people are trying to fit the old one to the 3IS.
Old 04-01-15, 01:39 PM
Alant514
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Ark Exhaust and it sounds amazing, has a nice deep tone
Old 04-27-15, 04:16 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ark too loud...

I just got the ark today and when it started up it sounded great from the outside just like the videos. Then i went inside and drove it...

Way too loud... is this normal because it hasnt settled yet? Every time it hits 2k rpm it sounds like an airplane inside the cabin.
Cruising on the free way is the loudest because the car cruises at 2k rpm on normal mode, invoking the loudest notes of the exhaust.

Another thing i noticed about this exhaust is if you had no rattles before or very little ones, you will get rattles now. The whole care vibrates as the exhaust resonates within the car.
Old 04-27-15, 08:24 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
I just got the ark today and when it started up it sounded great from the outside just like the videos. Then i went inside and drove it...

Way too loud... is this normal because it hasnt settled yet? Every time it hits 2k rpm it sounds like an airplane inside the cabin.
Cruising on the free way is the loudest because the car cruises at 2k rpm on normal mode, invoking the loudest notes of the exhaust.

Another thing i noticed about this exhaust is if you had no rattles before or very little ones, you will get rattles now. The whole care vibrates as the exhaust resonates within the car.
Car drone. Ark actually has the least drone out of all (except F-Sport) other exhaust options for our car..

Quick Reply: Exhausts loudness comparison