Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs430 altered intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:42 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default gs430 altered intake

I just wanted to post a pic of the intake revision I made on my 02 430. The reason I went the route I did was because I wanted to keep the stock air scoop and the stock air box for the best insulation from engine bay heat. But at the same time open some intake sound. Little did I know how restrictive the factory resonator installed on these cars are. I'm not imagining things when I say it made the car come alive. Just installing a K and N drop in filter and putting a straight 3 inch inner diameter clear pvc tube with thick wall made so much difference. I went with the clear tube for cool factor and the thickness of it helps cut back on heatsoak into the intake tract. also the thickness allowed me to tap in two brass fittings to hook up the pcv hose and the evap solenoid. This mod was worth every penny. I think I have a total of 100 bucks invested in it. Including the drop in k and n. I also removed the little resonator underneath the factory air scoop on top of the radiator. Before the car would hesitate when punched and I thought it was because of the big 20's with 275 tires on the rear. even though I installed a supra tt 3.76 diff. But now the air flow is direct the car launches off the line and while cruising, I can punch it and it just ****s and gets. I'm putting the headers on tomorrow so I can only imagine how fast this car is gonna be.
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default intake

figured out the pic posting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
intake.pdf (111.4 KB, 1088 views)
Old 03-25-15, 02:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks good...
Old 04-06-15, 05:37 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No check engine light from the bigger diameter tube? Wouldnt it throw off the MAF?
Old 04-06-15, 06:40 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default gsean

the clear pipe I installed is the same inner diameter as the stock intake pipe. and also the same inner diameter as the mass air flow sensor housing. 3 inches. so technically nothing changed except the looks. so that being said no engine light and only positive benefits from doing the mod.
Old 04-07-15, 03:54 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i can appreciate. looks good to me!

i wonder if you could just get a long 90 and that'd work too
Old 04-09-15, 06:37 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What made the bigger difference in sound? Removing the resonator or doing the pipe mod?
Old 04-10-15, 06:42 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

removing the resonator is the pipe mod. and removing the smaller resonator under the factory air scoop and sealing the small holes under it. and using a k and n filter.
Old 04-10-15, 02:43 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

I didnt see that the maf sensor was still in the same location. Clever.

This is a great idea, i too believe the stock intake was well designed since it catches air right from the front but i was sure there was some sort of restriction somewhere in the intake, where did you get your parts from im thinking of doing the same.

Also what happened to your turbo? You could have went standalone and used car collector insurance to bypass emmisions. I read something on your post about our 3uz's having forged cranks and rods. I feel our engines can make and even surpass the the 2jz. Cant ever go wrong with 2 extra cylinders and bigger displacement.
Old 04-12-15, 10:52 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

gsean, the gs430 maf sensor is in the air box from the factory. its not like on your gs400 cars where the maf sensor is in the actual intake pipe and has a rectangle shaped hole that it inserts into. in actuality the air intake noise I was going for didn't increase that much since I don't have an open exposed air filter. BUT!!!! the improvement in torque while absolutely worth it. on the topic of the turbo I removed. if I had to do it all over again which I probably will someday, ill install a whipple twin screw 2.3 liter displacement supercharger directly ontop of the engine and get all the downlow torque I can handle. that's the way to go not a damn turbocharger which requires fifty feet of plumbing and so on.
Old 04-12-15, 12:31 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

I havent seen the gs400 maf sensor. I had my gs400 7 years ago. i now have a gs430 and the maf sensor is in the same place as yours. I like the idea of a turbo since our cars have enough lowend power at a stop. Thats just me tho.

Where did you buy your pvc pipe?
Old 04-12-15, 03:55 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had stuff laying around and i made one. definitely changed the sound though.

you had only 2 hoses going to your intake? i had 3. 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2".

but since i liked it and its pretty damn cheap to do, i went ahead and ordered silicone couplings and an aluminum tube.

thanks for the inspiration. i didnt even consider changing this. oh yeah, tubing and couplers and clamps came out to about 45 bucks. haha. cant beat that for an intake.
Old 04-12-15, 04:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
gsean, the gs430 maf sensor is in the air box from the factory. its not like on your gs400 cars where the maf sensor is in the actual intake pipe and has a rectangle shaped hole that it inserts into. in actuality the air intake noise I was going for didn't increase that much since I don't have an open exposed air filter. BUT!!!! the improvement in torque while absolutely worth it. on the topic of the turbo I removed. if I had to do it all over again which I probably will someday, ill install a whipple twin screw 2.3 liter displacement supercharger directly ontop of the engine and get all the downlow torque I can handle. that's the way to go not a damn turbocharger which requires fifty feet of plumbing and so on.
can't wait for that....
Old 04-12-15, 09:41 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
How much $$ do you think it's needed to go this route ? SRT offers a bolt on kit for our engines but it's a whole lot of money! 10.5k.
Attached Thumbnails gs430 altered intake-sc1.jpg  

Last edited by clos430; 04-12-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 11:31 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clos430
How much $$ do you think it's needed to go this route ? SRT offers a bolt on kit for our engines but it's a whole lot of money! 10.5k.
Too much money...
I dont think the engine or transmission could even handle that power for very long. I think op,s setup was perfect since it gave the engine and tranny some relief at low rpms while the turbo would build boost

Quick Reply: gs430 altered intake