Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs430 altered intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 12:19 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Too much money...
I dont think the engine or transmission could even handle that power for very long. I think op,s setup was perfect since it gave the engine and tranny some relief at low rpms while the turbo would build boost
It's been done before, superchargers are no stranger to the 430 platform. And I do believe our engines/trans. are capable of holding up great with low boost yet cranking out 400+ hp.
Old 04-13-15, 06:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
It's been done before, superchargers are no stranger to the 430 platform. And I do believe our engines/trans. are capable of holding up great with low boost yet cranking out 400+ hp.
exactly... that why SRT built the whipple supercharger kit for the 430 and not the 400... It was brought to my attention from bulletcars.com that the 1UZ GS400 manifold is more restricted then the 430.. i think he told me it would hurt performance not increase it... If you go on there website they have supercharger kits for the LS400 pre 1996 non VVTI models...
Old 04-13-15, 07:47 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tmf, do you know or have you heard of anyone using the TTC intake manifold?
Old 04-13-15, 08:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
tmf, do you know or have you heard of anyone using the TTC intake manifold?
i have not.. i've seen pics and installed on Supras..
Old 04-13-15, 08:31 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 10k is bs

srt sells that whipple supercharger kit that is a complete kit. with a standalone computer and injectors and all other r and d. however, theres an insane amount of markup. if you went to bulletcars.com in Australia and bought there intake manifold and top plate than went and bought a low mileage tvs supercharger like from a new Camaro or Mercedes benz than you'd be good to go. id put in some slightly larger injectors and run up to five psi. that doesn't sound like a lot but when my 430 was getting tuned with the turbo on it. a lot of the tuning took place at five psi because that's the spring that was in the wastegate. once we were confident everything looked good up to five psi. that's when we installed the manual boost controller and eventually hit 13psi. now five psi actually put down 315 horsepower to the wheels. that doesn't seem like a lot but the car ran amazingly well and the tires would break loose as the rpms climbed. it was pretty cool. now the benefit of a whipple supercharger puts all that torque down low for some serious tire frying. my trans seemed to hold up to the 453 rwhp at 13 psi I pushed it too but I could tell it didn't like it. so 5 psi. would be a walk in the park.
Old 04-13-15, 10:37 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of SRT... after all the things I read about them keeping peoples money and not sending products (and these are for $5-600 intakes, etc.), there's no way in hell I'd trust them with $10K, regardless if I had the money to spend or not.
Old 04-14-15, 05:02 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by badblackgs
srt sells that whipple supercharger kit that is a complete kit. with a standalone computer and injectors and all other r and d. however, theres an insane amount of markup. if you went to bulletcars.com in Australia and bought there intake manifold and top plate than went and bought a low mileage tvs supercharger like from a new Camaro or Mercedes benz than you'd be good to go. id put in some slightly larger injectors and run up to five psi. that doesn't sound like a lot but when my 430 was getting tuned with the turbo on it. a lot of the tuning took place at five psi because that's the spring that was in the wastegate. once we were confident everything looked good up to five psi. that's when we installed the manual boost controller and eventually hit 13psi. now five psi actually put down 315 horsepower to the wheels. that doesn't seem like a lot but the car ran amazingly well and the tires would break loose as the rpms climbed. it was pretty cool. now the benefit of a whipple supercharger puts all that torque down low for some serious tire frying. my trans seemed to hold up to the 453 rwhp at 13 psi I pushed it too but I could tell it didn't like it. so 5 psi. would be a walk in the park.
I've contacted bulletcars.com several times recently and unfortunately there kit will not fit the GS400.. or will they develop one.... but on the other hand they have complete kits to fit the pre 96 LS400 models and SC400.... 5psi would be fine with me.... want to hear that 'whine"...
Old 04-14-15, 03:03 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

damn straight.
Old 04-17-15, 06:20 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just wanted to show what i ended up with.
4" pipe. cheap couplers. i like it.
thanks for the inspiration. it gave me something to do

Old 04-18-15, 07:04 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshun
just wanted to show what i ended up with.
4" pipe. cheap couplers. i like it.
thanks for the inspiration. it gave me something to do

that metal pipe is going to absorb a lot of engine bay heat and your knock sensors are gonna detect it u should atleast wrap it or spray some temp sealer on it.
Old 04-18-15, 07:08 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Smile power

And just for the record, who ever doesn't have headers and cold air intake has no idea how much fun there missing out on. since ive done those two things, the car is really fun to drive and sounds like an indy car when im in first and stomping it in a parking lot and wrapping it out.
Old 04-18-15, 05:13 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badblackgs
that metal pipe is going to absorb a lot of engine bay heat and your knock sensors are gonna detect it u should atleast wrap it or spray some temp sealer on it.
yeah i thought about that. but i had a 2 hour drive today in the middle of the day, no problems. i felt it when i got to my destination and it was just kinda warm
Old 10-09-17, 09:02 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

i did the same mod too! The difference is very noticeable indeed and sounds dope too! Resonator delete is next mod
Old 10-23-17, 09:29 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Unless I am mistaken, the CEL issues with other intakes were because of an oversized MAF housing. That's where all the measurements happen, right around the MAF. So as long as your MAF housing is stock, you should be able to use whatever size pipe you want after it.

Any specific place to source all this 3" stuff or will any plumbing shop likely be able to get the hookups?
Old 11-02-17, 12:40 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
Unless I am mistaken, the CEL issues with other intakes were because of an oversized MAF housing. That's where all the measurements happen, right around the MAF. So as long as your MAF housing is stock, you should be able to use whatever size pipe you want after it.

Any specific place to source all this 3" stuff or will any plumbing shop likely be able to get the hookups?
I bought the pvc piping from home depot for $8 and had a spare straight coupler laying around.
90 degree coupler from summitracing for $30 make sure you get the 3.5" coupler because I ordered the 3" one and did not fit. So had to return and reorder. You will need fittings for the vacuum lines and extended vacuum hoses. Those I just went to parts store to match up and cut longer length.
The following users liked this post:
eicca (11-02-17)

Quick Reply: gs430 altered intake