Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS300 (2003) 2 questions--Eibach install question and-steering wheel/turning noise..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 06:41 PM
CapeCodder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 (2003) 2 questions--Eibach install question and-steering wheel/turning noise..

Hello Fellow Lexus Lovers!

I hope this is posted in the correct place--if not, please let
me know! Also, if I need to break this into 2 postings, please let me know...My first time posting...and I am a NERVOUS CAR OWNER--I hate dealing with car issues--don't know as much as I probably should about cars, and need help!!! (and a good honest mechanic boyfriend--just kidding--but I do need a mechanic).

I have a 2003 IS300 automatic and standard paddles sedan. I never use the standard function. (I do know how to drive a stick/ but I was advised not to use the paddles because it can cause a lot of problems) The car has @150k miles on it. I am the 3rd owner. The other 2 owners put some mods/after market stuff on the car--like Eibach lowering springs--and every time I take the car in for service, they tell me something was added in the past that I didn't know about.

I had to replace the rear Eibach spring in December; the mechanic found out the Eibach company replaces the springs for free (with warranty) and he was sent the pair (front and rear) for FREE! This was GREAT as I am a single parent on SSDI, so my funds are limited--especially at holiday time. And this was the best option/lowest priced used car when I bought it a few years ago--BUT
(My first question):

How long should it have taken to install the one Eibach spring? I was charged $720 for "labor only" by the mechanic (who had the car for almost 3 weeks!) He gets $62 an hour for labor--is this right? I can't believe it took 11+ hours! Should I contact him or is this a reasonable fee?

Next question:

Now there is a new problem..when I turn the steering wheel to the right I hear a loud squealing/squeaking/rubbing noise (and I am starting to hear it when turning left too lately)--the noise(s) seems to be coming from steering column and right tire area. The the noise when turning has gotten louder and louder this week, and the bouncing spring noise when going over road bumps (like when spring went out) from right front started last week. THE WEIRD THING IS THAT THE NOISE GOES AWAY WHEN IT RAINS/snows! Any ideas??? .

Obviously the horrible snow we have had lately has done a number on lots of cars--this one was not meant to be an SUV, but I have had to drive through snow piles on the road, ice buildup on driveway (and having to rock front back to get unstuck). I have use the snow and power buttons lately too.
(sadly, the snow button does NOT turn off the snow when unengaged--lol).

Thanks in advance for suggestion and help placing my questions in the right place--

CapeCodder