Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonator Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 07:54 PM
Brands
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator Delete

What are the pros and cons of taking out my resonators? does taking out the res make my exhaust a catback? and is there an good parts to replace the resonator with for the 2006 IS350? thanks
Old 02-28-15, 10:27 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your resonator is only there to lower noise. there really isn't any con unless you dont like the increase noise. i have my resonator removed and it doesn't sound that much louder than stock. you dont need to replace the resonator with anything. any muffler shop would have a straight pipe to replace the gap
Old 03-01-15, 04:37 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pro : Weight Reduction & Good Sound
Cons : Will add drone =)

Resonator are made to compress the sound noise from the car and prevent it to not drone in the car. The Reso is like a giant tube like box right behind your axle pipe mufflers. People remove them to increase noise w/ or w/o a Aftermarket Axle-Back Exhaust.

will it be a Catback = No
Cat-back are aftermarket exhaust from your Cat( Catalytic Conv ) - Back to the end of your exhaust.
Old 03-24-15, 02:00 AM
TLRD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be a stupid question.. But does deleting the Resonator throw a CEL? My only concern is failing EM here in Utah. I currently have a Tanabe Medallion catback on, curious how it will sound without the res... O_o
Old 03-25-15, 04:35 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLRD
May be a stupid question.. But does deleting the Resonator throw a CEL? My only concern is failing EM here in Utah. I currently have a Tanabe Medallion catback on, curious how it will sound without the res... O_o
No, It won't throw any lights. No worries and you can pass because the Resonator is just for sound and I don't see any problem passing the test. People can get away with even a aftermarket exhaust and muffler deletes, according to what I've been hearing.

Tanabe does have a Catback but that's with a mid-pipe section and you gotta order that separately.
The Tanabe Med. you have is a Axle-Back which is the rear Y-Pipe to the Box Muffler Tip.

Curious of how it sounds? simple youtube search here :