Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bought some high quality GS4 exhaust parts - OBX/Megan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 06:37 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Not really. He runs his own classic car restoration place and he's always busy. Plus it would cost a lot and as there's two sides to do, I cannot afford that in all honesty. I was thinking of a little upgrade between now and the decision to add forced induction to the car in the distant future.
Old 02-28-15, 07:16 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS11
Not really. He runs his own classic car restoration place and he's always busy. Plus it would cost a lot and as there's two sides to do, I cannot afford that in all honesty. I was thinking of a little upgrade between now and the decision to add forced induction to the car in the distant future.
Buy the OBX and take them to someone who can weld, they should be able to spot obvious signs like the OP shows in his pictures. Doesn't really matter MIG or TIG. TIG is obviously cleaner, but the touch ups are so minors you wouldn't really notice a few MIG welds, especially under runners. As for the exposed tubing on the inside, nothing a carbide bit couldn't handle. If I were you, and you're serious about purchasing something like these and don't do your own work. If you don't have a friend, I would find a speed shop near you, take the photos that are posted above and show them and see what they might charge you to finish the welding and clean up the tubing.

If adding a set of headers to your car is this much work, I'm not sure FI is something you want to screw with on a UZ motor.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-15, 08:41 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Sorry dude, I have managed to make myself look like a bit of a novice. When it comes to cars I'll quite happily break down and rebuild an engine. Haven't done it with a Lexus yet, but I have done it with other cars.

What I was getting as was more the reliability of the headers and if they are worth the money or are there other options? I'm in a difficult place with headers as there is nowhere in the UK that I can get a set off the shelf. It's an import only part or custom fab' job. Just trying to go cheap as reasonable without buying something cheap and useless.

OBX headers look like a good price and I think I'll take the jump and get a set. Thanks.
Old 02-28-15, 12:34 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering buying the OBX also
I mean for $350 it can't be too bad
Beats paying like $900 for PPE right now
Old 02-28-15, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i definitely need to hear the high flow cats (magnaflow p/n 59956) and SC430 Y-pipe so i can make my decision on whether to buy this or not...

Angus are these the ones you have magnaflow p/n 59956
Old 02-28-15, 03:44 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I'm over in the UK and have been contemplating getting headers. For me it's an import from America job. I have a welder who can do pretty much any type of welding and do it really well. I was thinking of going OBX knowing that I may have to do some work to them.

Would you guys recommend I go down that route?
Unfortunately, unless OBX makes a set that are RHD specific, you'll have to go PPE as our driver-side header is different from a LHD model. PPE ended up sending me a RHD-specific driver side header as trying to install a US version didn't work out too well...
Old 02-28-15, 03:59 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Unfortunately, unless OBX makes a set that are RHD specific, you'll have to go PPE as our driver-side header is different from a LHD model. PPE ended up sending me a RHD-specific driver side header as trying to install a US version didn't work out too well...
Well that put's a downer on it, but I'm glad I've found out this way!! What's the main difference? I haven't had the engine cover off to have a look around, might do this tomorrow.
Old 03-01-15, 04:27 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Well that put's a downer on it, but I'm glad I've found out this way!! What's the main difference? I haven't had the engine cover off to have a look around, might do this tomorrow.
The runners are different between the RHD [driver's side] and a LHD [passenger's side]. I'm assuming it's due to the relocation of all of the steering equipment. Anyway, I'll let the picture tell the story (for reference, the header with the tag attached is for RHD vehicles]:

FYI (for anyone with a RHD that previously purchased a LHD set): PPE will make and send you a RHD-specific manifold for free, you only cover the cost of shipping.
Old 03-01-15, 04:55 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
The runners are different between the RHD [driver's side] and a LHD [passenger's side]. I'm assuming it's due to the relocation of all of the steering equipment. Anyway, I'll let the picture tell the story (for reference, the header with the tag attached is for RHD vehicles]:

FYI (for anyone with a RHD that previously purchased a LHD set): PPE will make and send you a RHD-specific manifold for free, you only cover the cost of shipping.
Cheers North. I see what you mean now.
Old 03-07-15, 09:52 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS is going under the knife on Monday (friend used to be a Toyota tech but is now opening his own shop). The OBX headers will be installed as-is, and the SC430 Y-pipe as well . He is making a 4" adapter pipe to put after the Y-pipe that will just bolt to the two flanges.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the cat-back (referring to the rear-section after the Y-pipe). The rear section does not appear to be nearly as restrictive in terms of piping size as compared with the front Y-pipe. The SC430 Y-pipe is much bigger than the stocker.

Does anyone know whether there is ANY power available in terms of the rear section being replaced? I would like some more sound, but simply cannot have any drone in my GS! I do not love the look of the top-speed ebay cheapie system, and all the japanese brand names (tanabe/hks/etc) are insanely expensive.
Old 03-07-15, 10:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

i would check out RichS11 new exhaust videos... his sounds pretty good but he also has no mufflers... i believe the SC430 pipe is 2.5'' and so is the cat back pipe so its up to you if you want mufflers or straight pipes...

i'm really curious to see how the SC430 pipe sounds..
Old 03-10-15, 10:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

rw, any update?
Old 03-10-15, 11:42 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if Megan would be interested in making the Y pipe for our cars with the extension?
Anyone ever call em'?
Old 03-10-15, 02:08 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No but they wouldn't have to change much if they did!

GS is on the lift today and the exhaust manifolds come off next. My good friend is a tech and opening his own shop slowly (working there at night while he still has his day job). It should be all wrapped up in a couple of days, but it depends how much time he has off to work on it.
Old 03-11-15, 02:26 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I wonder if Megan would be interested in making the Y pipe for our cars with the extension?
Anyone ever call em'?
Their design definitely needs some re-work - no reason at all to have that silly "noisemaker" flex either - the stock one doesn't have it

Problem is - who knows how many of those they are sitting on?

Quick Reply: Bought some high quality GS4 exhaust parts - OBX/Megan!