Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

C/R and increase power/ fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 08:17 PM
Chevy305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/R and increase power/ fuel mileage

Hello, I'm new to this form so please forgive me For questions you all have heard several times

I am looking to buy a 2002 is300 to make some long hull drivers but I also still want to have a car that is still fun to drive, without slapping a turbo at it so I've came to the idea of raising the c/r and water-meth injection. I have no previous expreance with 2jz engines
What kind of ratio is stock and what should I raise it to? And not have to fiddle with the computer

Thank you for your input
Old 03-05-15, 08:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy305
Hello, I'm new to this form so please forgive me For questions you all have heard several times

I am looking to buy a 2002 is300 to make some long hull drivers but I also still want to have a car that is still fun to drive, without slapping a turbo at it so I've came to the idea of raising the c/r and water-meth injection. I have no previous expreance with 2jz engines
What kind of ratio is stock and what should I raise it to? And not have to fiddle with the computer

Thank you for your input
Stock is 10.5:1 Compression.

cold air, exhaust, cams, tune, throttle body and other bolt ons will only get you about 200-220 wheel horsepower (they dyno 175ish stock).

that's a lot of money for not a lot of power IMO.
Old 03-06-15, 08:49 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I would not mess with the compression ratio unless you were building the motor from the bottom up. Doing something as simple as a thinner headgasket would increase the chances that valves would hit the pistons due to the variableness of the VVTI (I'm not saying it would happen, but in theory it could)

What you should do is intake, header, exhaust, lightweight pulleys, aftermarket crank pulley, upgraded clutch and flywheel if you're manual, LSD, coilovers, and some wider but lighter wheels (something forged).

This would pretty much max out the car without having to open up the head for cams. It also would allow you to do a turbo kit in the distant future if you choose, and all you would need to sell would be the intake and the header.

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 03-06-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 09:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I would not mess with the compression ratio unless you were building the motor from the bottom up. Doing something as simple as a thinner headgasket would increase the chances that valves would hit the pistons due to the variableness of the VVTI (I'm not saying it would happen, but in theory it could)

What you should do is intake, header, exhaust, lightweight pulleys, aftermarket crank pulley, upgraded clutch and flywheel if you're manual, LSD, coilovers, and some wider but lighter wheels (something forged).

This would pretty much max out the car without having to open up the head for cams. It also would allow you to do a turbo kit in the distant future if you choose, and all you would need to sell would be the intake and the header.
It is impossible to go thinner head gasket anyways. Ours are already an extremely thin single metal gasket.

The problem with your list is a lot of it will be replaced if you go turbo down the road. Aftermarket crank pulleys (the good, dampened ones) are actually heavier than stock. Mine weighs almost 3x what the stock pulley does. Intake would be sold/tossed when going turbo, as would exhaust. Also, the stock intake is very efficient - dyno tests show almost zero gain when going with aftermarket.

Many IS300's come LSD from the factory, so, check that first also.