Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best intake for hp gains??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 11:23 PM
tk31505
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best intake for hp gains??

I've heard the inked SP intake gives a proven 19 hp per bolt on.. How true is this??

I also like Takeda as well but want to know what other have to say.. Thanks!!

What is the best intake for HP gain??
Old 02-04-15, 05:56 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Neither. Your factory intake is a cold air intake. Bolting on a filter on a stick will just bring in hotter air and will change the resonance pulses which will be of no benefit unless we had a tune for the change. Even the Joe-z intake tube (which is just like the Fsport intake) showed a dyno loss of 10hp.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...o-results.html

Mike
Old 02-04-15, 08:49 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't say for others, but the Takeda/GReddy intakes are dyno proven for about a 4-5 hp gain (258whp -> 262/263 whp). It sounds great and the added hp is just a bonus

edit: had the baseline wrong

Last edited by anthonys2r; 02-04-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 11:33 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Can't say for others, but the Takeda/GReddy intakes are dyno proven for about a 4-5 hp gain (256whp -> 260/261 whp). It sounds great and the added hp is just a bonus
Did someone do an independent dyno on this intake that made gains? I've only seen losses. Do you know who did it? Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-04-15, 12:45 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Did someone do an independent dyno on this intake that made gains? I've only seen losses. Do you know who did it? Thanks,

Mike
Yes, it was on my car and with two different well known performance shops (for r&d purposes), and NOT GReddy or Takeda. Both were run on dyno jets.
Old 02-04-15, 03:06 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Got a link? You're not saying you used two different dynos are you?

Mike
Old 02-04-15, 03:13 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Got a link? You're not saying you used two different dynos are you?

Mike
Unfortunately, I can't release the dyno charts as the products are still in prototype (NDA).

Also - I meant both shops used dyno jets for before/after.
Old 02-05-15, 09:39 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The tried and true Joe-Z intake with a high flow filter (like from the F Sport intake) has been dyno proven for a 4-6WHP gain.
Old 02-05-15, 10:17 AM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

Neither. Your factory intake is a cold air intake. Bolting on a filter on a stick will just bring in hotter air and will change the resonance pulses which will be of no benefit unless we had a tune for the change. Even the Joe-z intake tube (which is just like the Fsport intake) showed a dyno loss of 10hp.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...o-results.html

Mike
Others have had showed results of 5+ WHP gain from the JoeZ as well.

http://my.is/forums/f155/faq-joe-z-d...t-pics-283691/

I personally have one myself. Although i did not get it dyno tested...
Old 02-05-15, 10:52 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by itsjdmyo
Others have had showed results of 5+ WHP gain from the JoeZ as well.

http://my.is/forums/f155/faq-joe-z-d...t-pics-283691/

I personally have one myself. Although i did not get it dyno tested...
Like shown, that person showed a 10hp loss from it.

Even in the link you posted there were significant losses everywhere below 5000rpm (around 30lb of torque loss) but yet there was a "peak" gain of 4hp and 3tq which is statistically a wash since a dyno cannot accurately measure such small amounts.

The point is that there is nothing proven in intakes that makes gains reliably. If you want to replace your OEM rubber tube with a metal tube that more easily transfers heat from the engine bay, go for it. If you want to get a filter on a stick that basically removes the benefits of the OEM cold air intake and sucks in hot air, go for it too. We just shouldnt expect any gains from doing it.

Mike
Old 02-08-15, 11:40 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Like shown, that person showed a 10hp loss from it.

Even in the link you posted there were significant losses everywhere below 5000rpm (around 30lb of torque loss) but yet there was a "peak" gain of 4hp and 3tq which is statistically a wash since a dyno cannot accurately measure such small amounts.

The point is that there is nothing proven in intakes that makes gains reliably. If you want to replace your OEM rubber tube with a metal tube that more easily transfers heat from the engine bay, go for it. If you want to get a filter on a stick that basically removes the benefits of the OEM cold air intake and sucks in hot air, go for it too. We just shouldnt expect any gains from doing it.

Mike
Thanks for posting this. I changed my F Sport intake back to stock. Only removed the metal F Sport tube and put back the plastic stock one with a sound generator. I also left the F Sport top half of the box (mainly for cosmetic reasons) and F Sport filter.

After swapping back to stock I think my car got a bit faster? Honestly this how my impression is. I don't have a scientific evidence other than "butt dyno" feelings. The bottom line after switching back to stock my car sounds better and it feels a bit quicker to me.
Old 02-09-15, 04:26 AM
Loe
Pole Position

The concept of using metal to replace plastic in an engine compartment is lost to me with intake tubes....

Why cant aftermarket pipes use more carefully crafted velocity stacks , Helmholtz chambers, variable diameter piping, and steel-reinforced silicon piping? I'll stick with stock and replace the filter with a higher flow unit, at least the plastic pieces on the OEM unit results in less heat transfer.
Old 02-09-15, 01:42 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Open Air Intake will get you gains. I don't recommend it tho
Old 02-10-15, 01:49 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Unfortunately, I can't release the dyno charts as the products are still in prototype (NDA).

Also - I meant both shops used dyno jets for before/after.
Ha what a joke.

Seriously, intakes aren't going to get you jack squat for power. They are noisemakers and very little more than that.

If you have supporting modifications like exhaust and an ECU tune, then maybe it would be a different story
Old 02-14-15, 12:11 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JGard18
Ha what a joke.

Seriously, intakes aren't going to get you jack squat for power. They are noisemakers and very little more than that.

If you have supporting modifications like exhaust and an ECU tune, then maybe it would be a different story
Agreed, 100%. OP, a new intake without a corresponding tune will net you nothing but intake noise. If you want to go fast in an IS 350, you'll need divine intervention. There are no practical ways to amp the power in these cars, and nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong on this point.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 02-14-15 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Best intake for hp gains??