Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

straight pipe setup; different sizing for piping=deeper and louder the sound?

Old 01-29-15, 08:59 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight pipe setup; different sizing for piping=deeper and louder the sound?

So last week, I got a custom magnaflow axle back exhaust system made for my '15 IS 250. I love the tone of it but I would like it to be a lot louder. I already have an invidia midpipe so the only thing I can do now is to remove the mufflers and replace them with 2.5" piping. My question is, will my exhaust pitch stay the same and increase only the volume of the exhaust? Or will the sound become higher pitched and increase the volume at the same time? Thanks!
Old 01-29-15, 10:41 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2.25" straight piping from axleback and it's louder and higher pitched than my old JoeZ axleback. From what I heard, piping size is more volume than tone.

How loud are you trying to get? If you already have a midpipe and a axleback system then it should already be pretty damn loud. The next step is either muffler delete or a GT Haus Meisterschaft.

All I have to say is that having a muffler delete on top of a invidia midpipe on a 250 will probably make your car drone like a mothereffer and lose that low-end torque. There are a few mixed reviews here about the muffler delete on a 250 so make sure you take that into consideration. Goodluck with your setup. Can you also post some sound clips? Would love to hear how your car sounds right now.
Old 01-30-15, 09:08 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-30-15, 09:56 AM
EdoApero
Rookie

It'll sound horrible.
Old 01-31-15, 11:05 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AndrewP930
I have 2.25" straight piping from axleback and it's louder and higher pitched than my old JoeZ axleback. From what I heard, piping size is more volume than tone.

How loud are you trying to get? If you already have a midpipe and a axleback system then it should already be pretty damn loud. The next step is either muffler delete or a GT Haus Meisterschaft.

All I have to say is that having a muffler delete on top of a invidia midpipe on a 250 will probably make your car drone like a mothereffer and lose that low-end torque. There are a few mixed reviews here about the muffler delete on a 250 so make sure you take that into consideration. Goodluck with your setup. Can you also post some sound clips? Would love to hear how your car sounds right now.
I'm trying to get it to be pretty loud. If you search videowatcher93 megan racing exhaust, you'll see my exhaust setup on my 2012. I had an invidia midpipe with a megan racing axle back system but I did muffler deletes and replaced the mufflers with 2.5" piping. I would get a GT Haus system but it's not worth the price for the loudness and I don't really like the sound of it tbh. My friend has a GT haus exhaust on his G37 but imo it sounds better on standard sized 6 cylinder engines. My 2012 did have a **** of drone and I did feel a decrease in torque in the low end but I love the volume of the exhaust. I'll try to get an exhaust clip within this week but I do have a video of when the axle back system was first completed and installed on my instagram (username is 3IS_250FSPORT).

Originally Posted by drbazing
I like calvin chui's exhaust loudness but definitely not the exhaust pitch.
Old 02-01-15, 12:34 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

in general, mufflers and resonators clean up the sound (take away rasp) and quiet the overall sound. so if you remove mufflers, or cats, then the sound volume will increase and you'll get a raspier tone.
Old 02-01-15, 04:52 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CLUM
in general, mufflers and resonators clean up the sound (take away rasp) and quiet the overall sound. so if you remove mufflers, or cats, then the sound volume will increase and you'll get a raspier tone.
Yeah on my 2012, the exhaust did get a tiny bit more raspy but in trade for the volume of the sound, I didn't mind and I had both mufflers deleted and had a midpipe on. I'm just trying to see if I can go for the same setup on my 2015 as my main goal in terms of exhaust. I have magnaflow mufflers as a temporary setup.
Old 02-03-15, 12:58 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Both my go pro and my Sony action cam are out of battery so I'll charge them later today and hopefully get a video out by the end of this week!
Old 02-11-15, 09:03 PM
Rockstr512
Rookie

Question, got the F Sport exhaust and Intake and it doesn't have a good sound. Loved it in my 09 IS. Was wondering if I could install a resonator delete? Would it sound better or go with a mid pipe?
Thanks!
Old 02-12-15, 02:33 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockstr512
Question, got the F Sport exhaust and Intake and it doesn't have a good sound. Loved it in my 09 IS. Was wondering if I could install a resonator delete? Would it sound better or go with a mid pipe?
Thanks!
You could do a resonator delete if you want. All you're really doing is cutting off your stock resonators and replacing it with piping. I have to warn you though it will sound very raspy and a bit too dirty for a lexus, imo. I guess it really depends on what type of sound you're going for. You should definitely check out some soundclips of the 3is with resonator deletes before you try it.

Also, when you say it doesn't have a good sound do you mean the exhaust tone or the volume?
Old 02-12-15, 06:29 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Thanks!
purchasing an entire midpipe while not changing the setup will just make the entire sound in general, louder. The stock pipes for the IS is smaller than the midpipe size by a full inch. Removing the resonator will the exhaust sound smoother and a tiny bit louder but like what Andrew said, it will definitely sound raspier.
Old 02-12-15, 09:05 PM
Rockstr512
Rookie

Exclamation

How awesome is this sound!

Wish I could get it like this?

Old 02-13-15, 08:56 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha well first you need to buy an ISF
Old 02-15-15, 10:07 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
Haha well first you need to buy an ISF
Agreed! because making a V6 sound like a V8 would be hard otherwise!
Old 02-15-15, 10:19 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

How awesome is this sound!

Wish I could get it like this?

INSANE SOUNDING LEXUS ISF - ISSforged Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust System - YouTube
I wish as well haha but no matter what kind of combination of exhaust system that you can do, nothing will be able to make up for the extra 2 cylinders. My goal for my own exhaust setup was to make it sound like a v8 while keeping the exhaust as non raspy as it could be and the setup on my 2012 was as perfect as my ideal sound was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: straight pipe setup; different sizing for piping=deeper and louder the sound?