Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VR Tuned ECU Flash for '14 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 08:10 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting/promising results... especially since it doesn't "require" aftermarket bolt ons.
Old 08-23-15, 11:13 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I5JL never got a baseline dyno for his car so there are no dyno proven gains.

If you want to spend a few hundred bucks on placebo, go for it but to me it is more than the subjective experience. It is whether the product actually works.

Folks, keep in mind the product does not even claim to CHANGE or TUNE any performance maps on your car at all. Even their own advertising states all they do is trick the ECU into accessing the performance maps that are ALREADY ON THE ECU.

From their website:

The Auto Flash tool changes the tuning on your vehicle using factory files which make it undetectable by dealers. Enhancing your throttle response, shifting speed, and gaining you horsepower and torque. Imagine your ECU is like a CD. You are running on track 1 to make your current horsepower. The Auto Flash tool takes you to track 3 which is already on your ECU wakening it up and bringing out the performance you really crave.

So it is basically tricking the ECU into thinking you are always running on a nice cool 45 degree day with perfect east coast 93 octane fuel in the car so the car will run the highest OEM performance maps. That is a really crappy and dangerous way of "tuning". In fact, it's not really tuning. And yes, the car will eventually resort back to its safe maps which is why you see people who dyno several months later have zero gains. This is also why the same "tune" is available for a V8 engined ISF and two different V6 engine IS250 and IS350 cars. This is not tuning.

Mike
From reading that it sounds like it is simply putting the car in Sport mapping for the ECU without you turning the ****. Same exact effects are generally described as Sport mode: Better throttle response, quicker shifts, holding gear longer, etc.

What I want to know is if anyone ever dynoed in regular mode and Sport mode back to back to see if there is a readout difference?

Next time I go to the drag strip I will run back to back in both modes to see if there is a mph or ET difference.
Old 09-02-15, 08:11 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobeanspls
From reading that it sounds like it is simply putting the car in Sport mapping for the ECU without you turning the ****. Same exact effects are generally described as Sport mode: Better throttle response, quicker shifts, holding gear longer, etc.

What I want to know is if anyone ever dynoed in regular mode and Sport mode back to back to see if there is a readout difference?

Next time I go to the drag strip I will run back to back in both modes to see if there is a mph or ET difference.
This would be different than sport mode. This is actually accessing different engine maps in the ECU. When the car is in cool weather, for example, the sensors that measure incoming air temperatures will see that it is safe to add more timing and will give you that additional timing. This is why your car can feel sluggish when it is the middle of the summer. Since this program claims to access these performance maps that are already on the car this must be what it is doing. It is forcing the car into thinking it is running in perfect conditions at all times. Eventually the car will sense knock or raising exhaust gas temps, etc and reduce the performance to the safe levels again.

Mike
Old 09-02-15, 09:54 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_is300
Clarification - I have half worn tires which in combo with tighter shift can make slippage. Breaking tires loose like burn out is not what I mean. By way over 5k miles now and has not reset to stock. Gas mileage bout same but drives overall better. Guess no one else has tried this yet but I would still recommend it .
I'm Sorry, but there's a Reason no one else has tried it. They sell these things on Every Vehicle claiming to add 20-30 more HP & save 5-10 more mpg for $69 REALLY! Like someone else said IF you Really want to know the truth put it on a Dyno, if not just Keep Believing! As long as Your Happy that's All that Matters, but it's Not Reality! HP & Torque is NOT that CHEAP!
Old 09-03-15, 06:48 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

The other thing to do would be to just take it out to a 1/4 mile track for 20 bucks and run it "tuned" and stock for 3 runs each or so. Same day, same conditions. On an auto car using the same launch it should be pretty consistent and at least show some results. It would be good to see some positive objective data.

Mike
Old 09-03-15, 12:08 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

The other thing to do would be to just take it out to a 1/4 mile track for 20 bucks and run it "tuned" and stock for 3 runs each or so. Same day, same conditions. On an auto car using the same launch it should be pretty consistent and at least show some results. It would be good to see some positive objective data.

Mike
I think the question here is if the new tune holds. There may be a gain on day 1 but what about day 101.
Old 10-13-15, 06:57 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Larry - I can confirm the mapping does not reset to stock as I have had this since Feb this year. What is true though is the results will vary based on temps as someone has already stated. Compared to stock - it consistent runs better at all temps but is more apparent in cold temps below 60.

Also, The shift points is something that will be obvious IF it resets to stocks. This is also another change by flashing ECU. Normal mode is so sluggish and now it is more responsive.

So I have over 10k miles on this, so I know it does not reset itself.
The people who are claiming this "resets" back to factory settings are also the one who don't have this chip. Wow... What a coincidence???

Anyway, the drive ability is much better than stock and there is an increase In power and torque. But I will confirm there is no increase in gas mileage though but that's ok consider I am not using up more gas for more performance.

I believe they offer a money back guarantee within certain time like maybe 30 days? So what you got to lose?! Go try it out for yourself.
Old 10-13-15, 05:11 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Larry - I can confirm the mapping does not reset to stock as I have had this since Feb this year. What is true though is the results will vary based on temps as someone has already stated. Compared to stock - it consistent runs better at all temps but is more apparent in cold temps below 60.

Also, The shift points is something that will be obvious IF it resets to stocks. This is also another change by flashing ECU. Normal mode is so sluggish and now it is more responsive.

So I have over 10k miles on this, so I know it does not reset itself.
The people who are claiming this "resets" back to factory settings are also the one who don't have this chip. Wow... What a coincidence???

Anyway, the drive ability is much better than stock and there is an increase In power and torque. But I will confirm there is no increase in gas mileage though but that's ok consider I am not using up more gas for more performance.

I believe they offer a money back guarantee within certain time like maybe 30 days? So what you got to lose?! Go try it out for yourself.
I really think the only way to prove this thing really works is to do a before dyno, an after 100 miles dyno, and then a 1000+ miles dyno, all with temps and humidity as close as possible to one another.

I've attempted these dyno's but the last one was inconclusive as it was a rushed session, but yeah the numbers seemed down after 700+ miles of driving.

I would attempt them again, but at $75+ a pop, and now with headers my baseline is now no longer the same, so yeah...

Plus if my 2is 350 differential swap project is a success, forget about a 6th gear 1:1 dyno pull, my gear ratios will be all out of wack.

In the end though, as I mentioned before, this thing works provided one keeps flashing the thing!

Last edited by LexSense; 10-13-15 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Closing remarks
Old 10-16-15, 11:24 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexSense
I really think the only way to prove this thing really works is to do a before dyno, an after 100 miles dyno, and then a 1000+ miles dyno, all with temps and humidity as close as possible to one another.

I've attempted these dyno's but the last one was inconclusive as it was a rushed session, but yeah the numbers seemed down after 700+ miles of driving.

I would attempt them again, but at $75+ a pop, and now with headers my baseline is now no longer the same, so yeah...

Plus if my 2is 350 differential swap project is a success, forget about a 6th gear 1:1 dyno pull, my gear ratios will be all out of wack.

In the end though, as I mentioned before, this thing works provided one keeps flashing the thing!

Its not a bad idea but dyno numbers can be so finicky. My other car dynos 30whp differences with no changes made to it whatsover except heat soaking.

The simplest and cheapest thing to do is just hit the strip before the "tune" and with the tune and compare trap speeds. You cant fake trap speeds.

No offence intended to anyone, but "feeling" the tune is still working is unfortunately extremely unreliable and usually pretty inaccurate as well.

Additionally, VR Tuned seems to offer returns on UNUSED products and even then charges a 25% restocking fee. Thats pretty shady IMO.

Mike
Old 10-16-15, 12:00 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

No offence intended to anyone, but "feeling" the tune is still working is unfortunately extremely unreliable and usually pretty inaccurate as well.

Mike

you don't know!!! what if those guys had their butt dynos cal'd recently?!?!

Last edited by cp2; 10-16-15 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 01:14 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Actually I had thought of the drag strip option also but just do a street race with a similarly modded car. If the chip really adds power, then I should win every time. no dyno needed to prove increase then.

So if we ever get a meet going,
I can do this.
Old 10-17-15, 07:11 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Actually I had thought of the drag strip option also but just do a street race with a similarly modded car. If the chip really adds power, then I should win every time. no dyno needed to prove increase then.

So if we ever get a meet going,
I can do this.
Unfortunately not. I'm not trying to be negative but "street pulls" are also pretty crappy measures of small performance increases. Cars within 50hp of each other can produce results that actually go either way. Lets think about this....

If you go to a 1/4 mile strip it will measure your launch giving you a 60ft time. This way we can tell exactly how your launch impacted your 1/4 mile time, yet you still should produced a better trap speed with the modded car than with the unmodded car. The point is though that we can get all of that data as to how your own driving affected the time as well. Keep in mind a difference in 60ft time of only .1 tenth of a second can impact the 1/4 mile ET by .2 seconds or so.

So in a street race when someone "honks it out" lol, you both get on the gas and if one of you is off from each other by just .1 tenth of a second than it will significantly affect the results. Add to that, cars with 30hp differences don't "pull away" from each other. It would still be close with probably 1 car length at the 1/4 mile assuming you could get all the human factors controlled for (which you cant in a street race). Street races are fun for youtube videos and forum posting but not really for actual performance testing. The 1/4 mile track is better and safer

Here's an example of a piggy back testing...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...rke-piggy-back

Mike
Old 10-17-15, 07:59 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Mike - ok guess my idea won't work then. I am still not interested in dyno so guess someone else will have to dyno it to see what results are. I can live without dyno and am still happy with the prouduct and results whatever they may be.

I will be reflashing it today as I had an exhaust leak when the mid pipe was installed couple weeks ago and it sounded like it was farting!

So now they realign the pipes and the leak is solved. Sound is better also as half of the sound was leaking out before the muffler. But I can tell the change has impacted my performance now as you would expect due to change in back pressure.
Old 10-17-15, 08:56 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike - ok guess my idea won't work then. I am still not interested in dyno so guess someone else will have to dyno it to see what results are. I can live without dyno and am still happy with the prouduct and results whatever they may be.

I will be reflashing it today as I had an exhaust leak when the mid pipe was installed couple weeks ago and it sounded like it was farting!

So now they realign the pipes and the leak is solved. Sound is better also as half of the sound was leaking out before the muffler. But I can tell the change has impacted my performance now as you would expect due to change in back pressure.
Still sounded mighty nice with the leak might I add.
Look forward to updated sound clips

Last edited by LexSense; 10-17-15 at 08:56 AM. Reason: emoticon fail
Old 10-17-15, 10:02 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexSense
Still sounded mighty nice with the leak might I add.
Look forward to updated sound clips
Got leak fixed but still may have problem with clearance between driver side pipe and the frame . I used a rubber coupler to insulate the pipe but it may eventually melt off. If so, will try shoving coupe metal washers In there.

Quick Reply: VR Tuned ECU Flash for '14 IS350