Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VR Tuned ECU Flash for '14 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 01:23 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to know for sure is to dyno the car. I've seen many instances where people claim that they feel that the car is a lot faster just by installing the JoeZ intake which is only a few whp.

Regarding the GS350 on their website, they are basing their claims on the non weather corrected hp numbers. If you look at the WCF weather corrected numbers (there are 2 numbers - non WCF and WCF corrected numbers), it actually lost 5whp on average after the installing the VR ECU. The owner of the car actually claimed that it felt faster until he dynoed it. It's a placebo effect.

The test above was conducted by a GS owner on this board. Here's the link to the test on the GS350 forum that proves the VR ECU doesn't work and you can read about what the owner has to say:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-3.html

Originally Posted by tx_is300
I do not plan to dyno it. It has increased power for sure.

Exactly how much is not a concern to me. I will say it definitely feels more than you will get from adding an exhaust and intake. I am guess minimum increase feels to be around 15-20+ HP.

I base this on the fact i had 2nd gen IS350 with exhaust and intake and this feels more than that.

Of course this could also be masked by the the transmission shift changes along with throttle response improvements.

Overall, i am pleased with it and the costs spent is worth it to me.

I just saw on Vivid Racing website today they posted clip from some performance shop in Mass. that installed this same ECU flash on a '14 GS F Sport. Though their dyno results only showed about 10 hp and ft lb improvement.

Last edited by infin8ti; 01-31-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 08:47 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey infin8ti - I read the GS dyno you referenced and your point is taken. I am still happy with the results I feel. Maybe when others try this out and actually dyno it , then we can say for sure if there are any gains .
Old 01-31-15, 09:06 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Hey infin8ti - I read the GS dyno you referenced and your point is taken. I am still happy with the results I feel. Maybe when others try this out and actually dyno it , then we can say for sure if there are any gains .

As long as it gives what you're looking for that's all that matters
Old 02-05-15, 12:29 AM
l5JLlll
Rookie

i have the vrtune as well and i have similar results but with dyno numbers , i am really happy with the results and feedback i got from it so dont waste your time and money on dyno runs because IT'S THE EXPERIENCE OF THE CAR, NOT THE NUMBERS THAT MATTERS

Last edited by l5JLlll; 02-05-15 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 06:58 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Hey I5JL - glad someone else is backing me up on this claim!! Guess we need to hear from someone that has the VR Tune that claims it DOESN'T work??

Did you say you actually dyno yours?? If so, what were the changes out of curiousity?

I am not sure but I think the ECU flash also changed my manual mode to where it does not hold the gear till redline now. It will automatically shift on its own. No big deal as this simply avoids bouncing off the rev limiter and you dont worry about over revving the engine.

I will be adding new axle back Tanabe exhaust this weekend, so perhaps will get slight improvement. The sound will definitely be better than the extremely quiet stock.
Old 02-05-15, 07:09 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I5JL never got a baseline dyno for his car so there are no dyno proven gains.

If you want to spend a few hundred bucks on placebo, go for it but to me it is more than the subjective experience. It is whether the product actually works.

Folks, keep in mind the product does not even claim to CHANGE or TUNE any performance maps on your car at all. Even their own advertising states all they do is trick the ECU into accessing the performance maps that are ALREADY ON THE ECU.

From their website:

The Auto Flash tool changes the tuning on your vehicle using factory files which make it undetectable by dealers. Enhancing your throttle response, shifting speed, and gaining you horsepower and torque. Imagine your ECU is like a CD. You are running on track 1 to make your current horsepower. The Auto Flash tool takes you to track 3 which is already on your ECU wakening it up and bringing out the performance you really crave.

So it is basically tricking the ECU into thinking you are always running on a nice cool 45 degree day with perfect east coast 93 octane fuel in the car so the car will run the highest OEM performance maps. That is a really crappy and dangerous way of "tuning". In fact, it's not really tuning. And yes, the car will eventually resort back to its safe maps which is why you see people who dyno several months later have zero gains. This is also why the same "tune" is available for a V8 engined ISF and two different V6 engine IS250 and IS350 cars. This is not tuning.

Mike
Old 02-13-15, 11:19 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

I now have over 1000+ miles since the ECU flash. Has not reset back to stock. Runs great!

Have also installed Tanabel axle back about 250 miles ago but that doesnt add as much as the flash.

I did have to reflash the ECU after the exhaust though as it did not run as strong due to less restrictive exhaust.

Other interesting thing is now when I manually shift from 1 to 2 at redline while in Sport + mode, the extra power is breaking traction on the rear end as I can feel some slippage and the traction control light comes on.

Manual shifts from 1st to 2ns or donwshifting 3 to 2 is more firm and harder than before.
Old 02-26-15, 07:47 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ance-chip.html

Bought resistors that does the same thing for my old civic. I'm glad I only loss $2.

Report update - been over 1 week and 500+ miles on the install. Still works as described with improvements over stock. Despite this, there will be many skeptics I understand. Only time will tell and I will wait for 1000 miles to post again.

There is another company out there (G Force Chips) that sells similar tool $69 but it does not work via the OBDII port as far as i can tell and there are no instructions listed to show it is hooked up. At least the company that sells the ECU flash is a tuner shop that sells other performance parts so I have more faith in them than others that just sell 1 part alone and nothing else.

This ECU flash is not cheap so what you guys ought to do is try the G Force chip which is much cheaper. Their web site shows some dyno tests before and after but honestly the gains are minimal. (ie 5-10hp and 10-20 ft lbs). You guys bought a 45K+ car, surely you can afford $69!

I am already trying the expensive option at least someone can try the cheap option?

The dyno for this ECU flash I bought was done on 2nd gen IS350 and 3rd gen IS250. So, the results are more realistic to what I am experiencing vs what G Force Chip shows for a different vehicle which results can vary.
Old 02-27-15, 07:15 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Exactly how much is not a concern to me. I will say it definitely feels more than you will get from adding an exhaust and intake. I am guess minimum increase feels to be around 15-20+ HP.

I base this on the fact i had 2nd gen IS350 with exhaust and intake and this feels more than that.

Of course this could also be masked by the the transmission shift changes along with throttle response improvements.

Overall, i am pleased with it and the costs spent is worth it to me.

I just saw on Vivid Racing website today they posted clip from some performance shop in Mass. that installed this same ECU flash on a '14 GS F Sport. Though their dyno results only showed about 10 hp and ft lb improvement.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-review-3.html
If your talking about this local guy to me he lost HP didn't gain.
Old 03-02-15, 06:07 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That makes me want to go out and buy one... ;(
Old 03-06-15, 10:39 AM
sloosh
Driver

I've got some snake oil that'll cure all types of cancer that I'd like to sell you.
Old 03-06-15, 10:55 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sloosh
I've got some snake oil that'll cure all types of cancer that I'd like to sell you.
Those work like magic, I am now cancer free.
Old 03-08-15, 03:07 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
Those work like magic, I am now cancer free.
no need to go to the doctor...as long as you FEEL the cancer is gone...
Old 06-07-15, 05:05 AM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

You had me until you said the extra power caused you to lose traction in the rear...come on. There are 400 to 500hp cars that don't have traction issues, but your IS does? I'm guessing your loss of traction had more to do with your driving, a dip in the road, etc. than too much power lol
Old 06-13-15, 08:31 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Clarification - I have half worn tires which in combo with tighter shift can make slippage. Breaking tires loose like burn out is not what I mean. By way over 5k miles now and has not reset to stock. Gas mileage bout same but drives overall better. Guess no one else has tried this yet but I would still recommend it .

Quick Reply: VR Tuned ECU Flash for '14 IS350