Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Invidia midpie install and O2 sensor troubles

Old 01-25-15, 05:14 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Invidia midpie install and O2 sensor troubles

So, I picked up an Invidia midpipe off Craigslist and tried to tackle it myself on Saturday.

I installed the M2 Exhaust myself and I have done a midpipe on my old mustang without too much difficulty.

However, this time I didn't get too far. I got one O2 sensor free without too much difficulty, using an O2 Sensor socket. But the passenger side is being extremely stubborn. Even with penetrating fluid, a torch and O2 sensor socket, I can't get it free. It moves easily about a 1/4" but then stops. After too much time trying, I have managed to round off the sensor. I then decided to cut off the metal shield and see if I would have better luck... nope.

So, now I have a decision to make, I either bring it to a shop and let them deal with it, which I feel would mean a new sensor is necessary. Or, I buy a new sensor and leave the original in the stock pipe. Or I just say screw it, sell the Invidia midpipe and settle with how it is now. Or I get creative and find a way to get that damn sensor out. I'm thinking maybe taking a dremel and grinding down the rounded edges to a flat face that a smaller wrench can grab onto..

Any suggestions/tips? From those that have an invidia midpipe, do you think it's worth all this hassle?
Old 01-25-15, 06:14 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just snip the o2, remove the stock midpipe. Wire up a new or used o2 and install the invidia. Done.
Old 01-25-15, 06:53 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it is rounded, have you tried using a vice grip? Lock it down hard and hit/tap it with a soft mallet hammer to get it loose.
Old 01-26-15, 09:00 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

I would prefer to not have to buy a new one, but it's sounding like that may be my only option.

I tried vice grips, but not with a mallet. I could maybe try it again, but I don't have high hopes. It's weird how I can movie it a 1/4" quite easily, but then it's completely stuck. I have tried going back and forth and spraying lots of penetrating fluid, hoping it would seep into the threads.

Maybe next week I will try and tackle this again. I'm pretty sore today...
Old 01-26-15, 09:01 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

My biggest worry right now is that if I do all this work, what if I don't like how loud the Invidia pipe is... I would be pretty choked if I ended up having to go back to stock. Especially since, even though my O2 sensor is stripped, if I leave it, it won't cost me money right now.
Old 01-26-15, 02:06 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Did you get the bung red hot before attempting removal? Perhaps not enough heat to break the rusted threads.
Old 01-26-15, 04:40 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i had the same issue. i cut that round metal thing but still no help. I drove to one of the local shop and they took it off in 1 min. So just find a local shop and ask them to loosen it for you then change it when you get home.
i guess you don't have enough leverage and room to do it. once car is on the lift it comes off so easy.
Old 01-26-15, 05:41 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure hitting the vice grip with the hammer will work. Hammer is stronger than a humans strength. Never failed for me when I couldn't or my impact gun couldn't do it. Just make sure it doesn't slip
Old 01-26-15, 08:47 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jasonr
dude i had the same issue. i cut that round metal thing but still no help. I drove to one of the local shop and they took it off in 1 min. So just find a local shop and ask them to loosen it for you then change it when you get home.
i guess you don't have enough leverage and room to do it. once car is on the lift it comes off so easy.
Was it stripped when you brought it to them?

It wasn't red hot, but it was fairly hot. Also tried after driving around for a while.

I know I should probably just buy a new sensor, but I can't get any Denso ones at a good price by the weekend, not sure if I want to put in NTK (NGK) and if I wait, it will be a long while. I just bought my first place, so that has me busy and I am getting my tonsils sliced out of me next week.

Or I could try and get a shop to take it out, swap it over to the new pipe and call it a day.
Old 01-27-15, 12:30 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

NGK I'd use as well. It's still a good brand; anything as long as you don't use Bosch.
Old 01-27-15, 01:59 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

I ended up ordering a new Denso sensor today off eBay. I;ll have to go pick it up across the border, but I wanted to do it right and stay with OEM.

Since I have to cross the border anyways, also ordered new pads for the front and back

Hopefully in a couple weeks I will have everything done and good to go.
Old 01-27-15, 10:02 PM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
I ended up ordering a new Denso sensor today off eBay. I;ll have to go pick it up across the border, but I wanted to do it right and stay with OEM.

Since I have to cross the border anyways, also ordered new pads for the front and back

Hopefully in a couple weeks I will have everything done and good to go.
yea bro mine was stripped. all the edges were damaged. I brought to Napa in Blaine and they charge me $20 to loosen them. I guess you will go there to pick up your parcels lol
Old 01-28-15, 08:35 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

yea bro mine was stripped. all the edges were damaged. I brought to Napa in Blaine and they charge me $20 to loosen them. I guess you will go there to pick up your parcels lol
Haha Since I already ordered the sensor, I am just going to install the new one. I destroyed the metal shield on the old one and I don't want to half *** my car and put the old one back in. So, once I unplug the sensor and take out the mid pipe, I should be able to use vice grips and a hammer to remove the old one.
Old 01-29-15, 07:04 AM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Haha Since I already ordered the sensor, I am just going to install the new one. I destroyed the metal shield on the old one and I don't want to half *** my car and put the old one back in. So, once I unplug the sensor and take out the mid pipe, I should be able to use vice grips and a hammer to remove the old one.
yea that will be easier. Good luck. I didn't find the plug. I wish i could unplug it. There is not enough leverage. i tried all sort of grips lol. Nothing work. Metal on o2 sensor is so freaking soft.
Old 02-26-15, 10:53 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

yea that will be easier. Good luck. I didn't find the plug. I wish i could unplug it. There is not enough leverage. i tried all sort of grips lol. Nothing work. Metal on o2 sensor is so freaking soft.
I figured I should post an update. I finally got around to tackling this obstacle again.

Things went smoother this time, but I still ran into issues. Had troubles with one header bolt, but finally got it. And the gaskets I got were wrong. This lead to having to put the old ones back in and get new ones on Monday.

Also had the issue of the mid pipe hitting the cross bar, even after trying to adjust the pipe as high as possible. This was an easy fix with a few washers though.

Putting in the new O2 sensor was actually super easy. I was able to access the plug by just pulling back the carpet near the centre console. Attached a shoe lace to the old one to give myself a pull string.

Now that everything is complete, it sounds awesome! I get a bit of drone, but I can drown it out with music. If I am light on the throttle, it's not excessively loud, but when I step on it, it screams!

So far I haven't had any issues from the install. Car runs great, no leaks no rattles or weird noises

Total cost:
$200 for M2 catback
$300 for used Invidia Mid pipe
$80 for O2 sensor
$20 for gaskets
$0 for labour

$600 for exhaust, not too bad, I suppose