Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Mufflers Only

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 11:45 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Mufflers Only

Simple question: What mufflers sound best on an IS350? I'm not trying to get any power out of this. I just want some growl. I searched and searched for exhaust clips but most people have axle backs, cat backs, resonator deletes, midpipe upgrades, or aftermarket intakes involved. I just want to take out these stock mufflers, and weld in some new ones to get a nice sound. I am looking at flowmaster (40 or 44 series?), magnaflows, borla, etc. It doesn't seem like a common thing to do after searching this forum and Google. Thanks for your help guys, any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-23-15, 12:32 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Decide which style canister you perfer and then research via YouTube what each mufflers sound like.
Old 01-23-15, 12:36 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any reason why you don't want to get a catback system?

For example, I have the M2 exhaust (as many others do) and for the price, you simply can't beat it. I think it looks better than stock and sounds better too. You can find them for like $250.
Old 01-23-15, 01:00 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

I have tried youtube searching, but as I mentioned before, it's never just a muffler swap. It's always a combo of things I don't want/need to spend money on.

I don't want to get a cat-back because I don't want to spend the money. This car is fast enough for me, an extra 5hp isn't really worth it. I may look at the M2 in the future because I have heard good things, but I am just trying to keep it simple with a muffler swap.

I know that no exhaust combo is gonna make it sound like my old 92 mustang gt with full exhaust and a cam. I just want it to sound more like the 350z, TL type s, bmw 3 series. Not loud and obnoxious, just an audible growl.
Old 01-23-15, 01:02 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A muffler swap will cost you more than an M2 catback. Mufflers, maybe $80-100 each, $150 labour. And then you don't get new bigger round tips. Personally, I don't like the stock tips.

And I know what you mean, I had a 1999 Mustang GT with O/R mid pipe and flowmasters... sounded amazing!
Old 01-24-15, 02:54 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

So from what I'm hearing is that the M2 exhaust, ~$300 on ebay, will be the best option for getting that growl and not spending a lot of money. As long as I install it myself, which from what I hear should be a pretty straight-forward 1hr job.
Old 01-25-15, 09:36 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delete your Reso. It'll have a growl. only cost u $30-40. Replace it with straight pipe or aftermarket reso. Ppl say it sounds like the G or Z. For your topic I've seen people do a muffler swap from stock to Megan muffler and tip. I don't know how good of a sound it is but its basically like a axle back without the Y-Pipe.
Old 01-27-15, 02:11 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Deleting you resonator will cause a lot of rasp. It does make it a little growlier however... just be warned of the rasp under heavy throttle. I personally just got magna flow (11225) and i love the sound. I have a resonator delete and went true dual so mine is a little louder and raspier, but i love the deep tone the magnaflow's give off.. Cost me $300 to get the old mufflers cut off, and the new ones welded on with tips.
Old 01-27-15, 08:22 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

I looked up the Magnaflow 11225 and I will see if the muffler shop by my house can get that one in. If I do those, with tips, but NOT ]with resonator delete, do you think that will get me the sound I'm looking for? I'm just afraid of spending the money and then not getting any extra sound. I've heard too many sound clips of people getting exhaust modifications, but there is not a discernible difference between the upgrade and stock.
Old 01-27-15, 09:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

If your only looking for sound, I'd get something like this:

Amazon.com: Thrush 17715 Turbo Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Thrush 17715 Turbo Muffler: Automotive

Back in the old days we called these Turbo Mufflers, and the concept is still here. They sounded Great then, and I'll bet they sound Great now.

Lou
Old 01-28-15, 09:13 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brosillo
I looked up the Magnaflow 11225 and I will see if the muffler shop by my house can get that one in. If I do those, with tips, but NOT ]with resonator delete, do you think that will get me the sound I'm looking for? I'm just afraid of spending the money and then not getting any extra sound. I've heard too many sound clips of people getting exhaust modifications, but there is not a discernible difference between the upgrade and stock.
I definitely think you will get the sound you are looking for. I was the same way looking at exhaust videos and none of them sounded the same. My exhaust is way louder than the videos of magna flows with resonator deletes. and way deeper... it is just hard to get the actual sound and tone on a video. It might be a tad quiet to your taste at first, but after a few weeks it should get significantly deeper.
Old 01-30-15, 11:24 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers
Dynomax makes good cheap muffler with good sound but u need to buy a exhaust tip for it.. i had the super turbo muffler on my corolla i had long time ago heheheh... they aren't loud and ricey...
Old 01-31-15, 09:16 AM
Sleepy2is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a muffler delete with custom tips and call it a day if yu want loud. But prepare for some crazy drone.
Old 02-03-15, 10:19 AM
Brosillo
Rookie

Well I'm not looking for crazy loud and definitely don't want drone. I'm just sick of it sounding like a Prius haha!

I have also heard about putting a small, round muffler in place of the resonator to get a good low sound and no drone. Is this a common or proven good idea? I was thinking two of the 11225 Magnaflow oval mufflers for the rear, and one of the 12865 round mufflers to be welded in where the resonator is (or a longer one depending on what's needed). I know someone with a IS250 did something along these lines and people liked the way it sounded. Seems like a cheaper alternative, $75 muffler vs $300 midpipe. See products below:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11245

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11151

Last edited by Brosillo; 02-03-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 02:02 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

I have a little bit of drone with my setup, but i also went true dual... so i can't tell you what the two mufflers with a magna flow resonator would sound like. I do know that my setup has gotten much louder after about 2 weeks of driving it.

Quick Reply: New Mufflers Only