Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS Hi-Power AxelBack Exhaust Dies off after 3500rpm, Possible Solution: Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 06:01 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking HKS Hi-Power AxelBack Exhaust Dies off after 3500rpm, Possible Solution: Intake?

Hi guys,

Just got my HKS Hi-power installed. Is it me or does the exhaust sound dies off and start to sound like the "stock" exhaust note after around 3500rpm when i go WOT?

If its true for all Hi-Powers, Any suggestions on a solution for this?
Old 01-11-15, 06:49 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

That's because the sound of all axle-backs top off around 3500 RPM and the sound of the intake kicks in for the rest of the powerband.

So a recommendation is to look into an intake that will compliment or complete the sound across the powerband.
Old 01-11-15, 07:30 PM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by jst17
Hi guys,

Just got my HKS Hi-power installed. Is it me or does the exhaust sound dies off and start to sound like the "stock" exhaust note after around 3500rpm when i go WOT?

If its true for all Hi-Powers, Any suggestions on a solution for this?
Mine gets louder after 3500rpm. most Gas pedal = More sound

I guess you need an Intake and mid-pipe.

Make your own F-sport intake and buy invidia mid-pipe or something.
Old 01-12-15, 11:22 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is why F Sport intake is there for it is a such a nice compliment. I thought intake the exhaust should be paired together like wheels and tires.
Old 01-12-15, 05:33 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It dies off like that also for me. I only have the Joe Z intake stock box with K&N filter + M2 Exhaust on my is350. Deep sound but will be getting a F-Sport intake box and Invidia or Megan Mid Pipe Section sooner or later. With mid pipes nothing can go wrong. It'll be the best sound you'll get.
Old 01-12-15, 05:55 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by knguyenk
That's because the sound of all axle-backs top off around 3500 RPM and the sound of the intake kicks in for the rest of the powerband.

So a recommendation is to look into an intake that will compliment or complete the sound across the powerband.
What about the f-sport, doesnt it get louder after 3000 rpm? Any intake recommendations?
Old 01-12-15, 05:56 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by jasonr
Mine gets louder after 3500rpm. most Gas pedal = More sound

I guess you need an Intake and mid-pipe.

Make your own F-sport intake and buy invidia mid-pipe or something.
What exhaust do you have? You mean by cutting a hole, wouldn't that be a bad idea as things can get into your engine easily?
Old 01-12-15, 05:58 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by Keo
It dies off like that also for me. I only have the Joe Z intake stock box with K&N filter + M2 Exhaust on my is350. Deep sound but will be getting a F-Sport intake box and Invidia or Megan Mid Pipe Section sooner or later. With mid pipes nothing can go wrong. It'll be the best sound you'll get.
I would get invidia, but its way too much drone. Any drawn backs on cutting a hole in the stock exhaust box versus buying the f sport? someone is selling the complete f sport intake kit in my area(Toronto, Canada) for $350obo. If I buy from sewell, Ill have to import it from the US which costs $$.
Old 01-12-15, 06:01 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Get the F Sport intake, you will not regret it. The F Sport tube cost about the same as the Joe Z tube if you purchase it alone on Sewellparts but the tube itself won't give you the sound, it does give you the ~5HP. The F Sport lower intake box gives you the sound. I have full F Sport intake system in 3 years and smile everyday with it WOT
Old 01-12-15, 06:16 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like FSportIS said. I don't like to do the bootleg way of punching a custom hole. The Fsport intake box have 2 box opening the stock only have 1.
Old 01-12-15, 06:47 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

What about the f-sport, doesnt it get louder after 3000 rpm? Any intake recommendations?
It's the same with the F-Sport exhaust, the volume of the exhaust will be dependent on the exhaust you have (the Hi-Power is the loudest exhaust by far).

The F-Sport intake and exhaust is the best combination of intake and exhaust sound that is factory aftermarket (well, factory approved aftermarket parts).

What exhaust do you have? You mean by cutting a hole, wouldn't that be a bad idea as things can get into your engine easily?
The F-Sport intake has a lower box that has a cutout behind the headlight to create the sound that you hear about 3000 RPM.
Old 01-12-15, 08:36 PM
jasonr
Driver

F-sport box is same as stock one. Only difference is it has an extra hole in it. You can cut that by yourself. And you need a pipe for your intake. All together cost me around 30 bucks plus a K&N filer.

You can spend $350 or 400 on F-sport. It will not give you more power or sound. No one will see your F-sport box or stock box. Its all covered anyway.

I would rather spend that money on a mid-pipe. Invidia midpipe is around $327 USD.

Last edited by jasonr; 01-12-15 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:09 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The F Sport box doesn't have fins while the regular has. The design could be intentional for better air flow. You don't want to reinvent the wheels. You can cut holes all you want just like people use to cut holes in their exhaust system but that, in my opinion, is not the right way to do it. Also, the box saving is only $69.08, not $300, see below for more info.

As you said, if you just need a pipe, the F Sport pipe itself is 129.59.

You can purchase the F Sport lower intake box for $69.08, the F Sport tube itself $129.59 (similar to Joe Z tube price), and F Sport high flow air filter for $67.65, the couplers and clamps for $37.75 individually here http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/1853.html
Old 01-13-15, 02:43 PM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The F Sport box doesn't have fins while the regular has. The design could be intentional for better air flow. You don't want to reinvent the wheels. You can cut holes all you want just like people use to cut holes in their exhaust system but that, in my opinion, is not the right way to do it. Also, the box saving is only $69.08, not $300, see below for more info.

As you said, if you just need a pipe, the F Sport pipe itself is 129.59.

You can purchase the F Sport lower intake box for $69.08, the F Sport tube itself $129.59 (similar to Joe Z tube price), and F Sport high flow air filter for $67.65, the couplers and clamps for $37.75 individually here http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/1853.html
Ok sir. cutting hole in a exhaust and intake box are totally 2 different things. Would you mind explaining that to me, WHY LEXUS CUT A HOLE IN THAT BOX?
I have removed the fins from OEM. Please don't tell me that F-sport logo in the box gives you 2 HP.

I made my custom pipe for i intake which cost me around $20. I DID NOT SAY BUY F-SPORT INTAKE PIPE.

Its called customization/fabrication. My intake is $300 less than F-sport and does the same thing and same sound. Please do some research before posting such comments. Joe's intake pipe is around $100 which is better then F-sport.

Wheel must be reinvented if its cheaper and give you the same function.
Such as people are fabricating their own S/C kits than buying from companies. which cost 3-4k more.

I guess you are just lazy and do not understand the concept.

I guess your car has better air flow than mine and gets you another 5-10 hp. Enjoy your F-sport intake.

Last edited by jasonr; 01-13-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:28 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Sir, take a chill pill and calm down buddy! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You post yours and I post mine. You can do whatever you like including fabricate the whole IS and save 40k lol. Anyways, peace!

Quick Reply: HKS Hi-Power AxelBack Exhaust Dies off after 3500rpm, Possible Solution: Intake?