Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 04:41 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhaust Backfire

Hey guys, I want to get some backfire crackles and pops from my exhaust. I currently have a Greddy intake and a custom axleback exhaust. It all makes a pretty good noise but I have absolutely no backfire. Do you guys know how I could get a little backfire? Thanks.
Old 12-17-14, 04:54 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your first step should be deleting all the cats and running a straight pipe.
Old 12-17-14, 09:34 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove all cats....
Old 12-19-14, 12:59 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you do something stupid like removing your cats, consider these facts: your car will be illegal to drive, especially in CA..., and the worst part is it'll smell like a bus all the time, even when just cruising. You'll wish you never took them off, and you'll be driving with your windows up all the time. Done it on my 350z, hated driving the car sometimes because of that. No amount of backfire is worth the smell and the paranoia of being fined. I heard that the Ark exhaust gives you some backfire sounds and overall sounds amazing, so consider that.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheShaddix:
Atav25 (02-09-20), GR3Y5H3ART (01-31-20), momak (03-26-20)
Old 12-19-14, 08:17 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well let's see.

An exhaust backfire is from an overly rich mixture that ends up combusting in the exhaust as opposed to in the cylinder where it is supposed to.

So what you are really asking is, "How do I screw up my car and make it really run like crap?"

I would suggest completely removing all exhaust components including the header. This should probably be enough throw off your expertly engineered fuel tables and make your car run crappy enough to make nice backfires.

Enjoy.

Mike
Old 12-19-14, 11:45 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Well let's see.

An exhaust backfire is from an overly rich mixture that ends up combusting in the exhaust as opposed to in the cylinder where it is supposed to.

So what you are really asking is, "How do I screw up my car and make it really run like crap?"

I would suggest completely removing all exhaust components including the header. This should probably be enough throw off your expertly engineered fuel tables and make your car run crappy enough to make nice backfires.

Enjoy.

Mike
lol that escalated quickly.

To the OP, are you looking for straight up backfire like gunshots or exhaust pops, gargles, etc? You can get the latter with just a simple axleback. My straight pipe axleback and my JoeZ axleback both get pops and gargles when you let the gas off around 2.5k-4k. When I'm in low gear and the rpms get around 1k the exhaust note shuts off and I get a nice little pop too.

Pretty sure this is what the OP is looking for, not necessarily backfire.
Old 12-19-14, 11:46 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndrewP930
lol that escalated quickly.

To the OP, are you looking for straight up backfire like gunshots or exhaust pops, gargles, etc? You can get the latter with just a simple axleback. My straight pipe axleback and my JoeZ axleback both get pops and gargles when you let the gas off around 2.5k-4k. When I'm in low gear and the rpms get around 1k the exhaust note shuts off and I get a nice little pop too.

Pretty sure this is what the OP is looking for, not necessarily backfire.
Oops, just read the post again. Seems like you are looking for straight backfire. In that case refer to the guy ^^^

Also, straight piping a IS250 is going to sound pretty ricey, especially when you're pulling 0-60 in like 8 seconds
Old 12-19-14, 02:26 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the full Ark exhaust for my IS350 and theres some blurps and pops when it down shifts. Sounds nice. The sound of the Ark exhaust in general is IMO the best sounding exhaust for the 3IS.
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-26-20)
Old 12-20-14, 01:31 AM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been having minimal amount of backfire since i replace my axelback, thought it was due to Takeda Intake, then I replaced it with JoeZ doesn't seem to eliminate the backfire. I am actually trying to eliminate backfire as it's running a little too rich no idea why....
Old 12-20-14, 04:19 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I think a better approach would be to find someone to program the sound you want thru your audio system, kind of like some other cars do. That way it can be as loud as you like and others wont have to hear it
Old 01-09-15, 11:10 AM
hovik92
Driver

Jesus Christ! Asking a question in this forum is like placing your head in a guillotine. First of all, to bhvrdr, calm down. Secondly, to drbazing, forum429, TheShaddix, I completely understand you guys which is why I don't want to remove my cats due to the smell and emission laws in CA. I've had catless downpipes and removed cats from my other cars and the smell gives me headaches on any journey longer than 15 minutes so that isn't an option for me. For everyone else, I appreciate all the advice. From what I can see, I should swap to the Ark exhaust to get the sound I want. For Nelexus88, no thanks. lol

Thanks to all of you for contributing
Old 01-09-15, 11:34 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hovik92
Jesus Christ! Asking a question in this forum is like placing your head in a guillotine. First of all, to bhvrdr, calm down. Secondly, to drbazing, forum429, TheShaddix, I completely understand you guys which is why I don't want to remove my cats due to the smell and emission laws in CA. I've had catless downpipes and removed cats from my other cars and the smell gives me headaches on any journey longer than 15 minutes so that isn't an option for me. For everyone else, I appreciate all the advice. From what I can see, I should swap to the Ark exhaust to get the sound I want. For Nelexus88, no thanks. lol

Thanks to all of you for contributing
Great. I'm kind of leaning towards the cat back Ark too. I feel like the GT Haus/Agency are too loud and ricey.
momak (03-26-20)
Old 01-09-15, 11:37 AM
hovik92
Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
Great. I'm kind of leaning towards the cat back Ark too. I feel like the GT Haus/Agency are too loud and ricey.
My thoughts exactly, I am not looking for anything obnoxiously loud or ricey. My set up now sounds very nice but I want the Ark cat back. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger >.<
momak (03-26-20)
Old 01-09-15, 11:42 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hovik92
My thoughts exactly, I am not looking for anything obnoxiously loud or ricey. My set up now sounds very nice but I want the Ark cat back. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger >.<
Have you looked at the new Joe Z systems?
momak (03-26-20)
Old 01-09-15, 12:24 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I when Straight direct pipe *NO CAT* for a while and it backfire pretty good... Also on a custom made axle back..
Let me see if I can find a video I had with this set up and I would love to share it..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Backfire