Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F Sport Intake or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 03:30 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt there will be that much more difference as far as flow. Plus Fsport should last a lifetime with cleaning of course.
Old 04-21-15, 09:41 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
I doubt there will be that much more difference as far as flow. Plus Fsport should last a lifetime with cleaning of course.
it looks very similar to the K&N filter, which I'm using since the day I picked up the 3IS.
Old 04-21-15, 10:01 AM
FPerform
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wongnee
it looks very similar to the K&N filter, which I'm using since the day I picked up the 3IS.
Same. Air flow feels much better compared to that crazy thick OEM paper filter.
Old 05-29-15, 05:55 AM
Stero87
Rookie

Just finished reading this thread since I'm interested in changing my stock intake, and based on your comments I'm unsure about something......the benefits in performance are not contributed at all to the F-Sport pipe?....Changing ONLY the filter/air box will provide the same benefit?....I find that a little hard to believe, but if it's true, then there's no point in getting the full set up, except for the look
Old 05-29-15, 07:00 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Stero87
Just finished reading this thread since I'm interested in changing my stock intake, and based on your comments I'm unsure about something......the benefits in performance are not contributed at all to the F-Sport pipe?....Changing ONLY the filter/air box will provide the same benefit?....I find that a little hard to believe, but if it's true, then there's no point in getting the full set up, except for the look
that's about it. here's the theory to the solution/belief. the f sport or joe z pipes are metal...I believe they're aluminum and though it is smoother on the inside, with it's location (being above the engine), members believe that there is an issue with the heat soaking. there have been dynos that have shown hp loss due to the joe z intake in our gen. I haven't seen a dyno with the f sport kit, but it's pretty much the same type of tube. the stock set up uses an enclosed air box w/ a ram air tube the feeds into the box. the only "issue" with the stock filter is that it's very dense and restrictive. adding the f sport filter element (or any other am filter element) helps w/ more air coming through. there are some short ram intakes that come w/ a heat shield that's designed to separate the heat from the open cone filter as well. but again, those kits come with an aluminum tube. I haven't seen the dynos from those kits, but several owners swear that they get great throttle response after the install. here's the one thing that always gets me though. some members buy an intake kit for looks or sound. yes I understand that everyone has their own...i'll just leave it at that. i'll just say this, if you're one of those guys, it doesn't matter which kit you buy.

until a company makes a carbon fiber tube or maybe a smoother tube (than the stock plastic) that's not susceptible to heat soaking, I'm going to stick w/ the stock tube. or maybe if a heat shield is made to cover the headers/exhaust manifold would be a plus as well. there was a company called luxury motorworks that made one for the first gen IS and it worked great.
Old 06-02-15, 01:38 AM
ramlawih
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the F-Sport intake system and i noticed a slight improve in throttle response but it wast that big of a deal. it does limit the sound of the engine and gear shifts inside the cabin but who needs a fake sound unless you have someone (who doesn't know crap about cars) sitting beside you and you wanna impress him/HER.
Bottom Line, I won't buy it again if i didn't have it.
Old 06-02-15, 05:43 AM
Stero87
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp2
until a company makes a carbon fiber tube or maybe a smoother tube (than the stock plastic) that's not susceptible to heat soaking, I'm going to stick w/ the stock tube. or maybe if a heat shield is made to cover the headers/exhaust manifold would be a plus as well. there was a company called luxury motorworks that made one for the first gen IS and it worked great.
I just saw someone post this in another thread:
"AFE magnum force cold air intake its the best out yet becuase the pipe its not steel"
Anyone else have experience with this product? Their website only has one for the 2IS, but maybe it'll fit on the 3IS?
Old 06-02-15, 08:06 AM
cp2
Racer

Originally Posted by Stero87
I just saw someone post this in another thread:
"AFE magnum force cold air intake its the best out yet becuase the pipe its not steel"
Anyone else have experience with this product? Their website only has one for the 2IS, but maybe it'll fit on the 3IS?

just checked out the website about the product and it looks promising. I would like to see a dyno other than the company's though. powder coated heat shield that still connects to the stock ram air tube and the intake tube is plastic as well. funny how they have a pic of the 3is eng bay, but the years listed are 2is.

but looking at the overall design, I don't see how it differs from the stock set up. it's still a plastic tube w/ a heat shield. the only difference is an open cone filter. unless the open filter inside of the heat shield walls gets more volume of air compared to the air box (with after market filter element ie f sport, toms, k&n, etc) I don't see how it would be better; the stock set up is still getting cooler ram air as the open air filter would.

Last edited by cp2; 06-02-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 04:28 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14 hp and 13 lb of torque dyno tested? i thought most was like 5hp. seems a little too good to be true. i might have to swap out my f sport filter that i just got if this is the case.

In theory it seems to work. heat shield blocks off engine heat and it draws in the same cool air from air ducts. piping made out of some roto molded material possibly better than stock.
filter is a huge open cone, with higher flow filtration using no oils.

one of the pluses is engine noise is real. downside is 350 bucks!

someone please dyno!
Old 06-03-15, 07:41 AM
cp2
Racer

that's what I was saying though. roto molded material that's "possibly" better than stock. the only way it can be better is if it's straighter and smoother on the inside so the air goes through smoothly; the stock tube is pretty straight, but not to sure about the inside. obviously air goes through or passes through the sound generator, but I don't know if that's enough to offset hp. the open cone filter isn't necessarily better than a flat filter either. the cone can have more surface area, but the engine will only suck in what it can suck in. only hindrance would be how restrictive the material of the element is. in other words, if the cone filter uses the same material a flat filter uses, then there is no advantage.
Old 06-03-15, 09:41 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Im gona stick with general consesus you cant get drastic perfofmance changes with an intake without a proper tune. All these claims are just gimmicks to sell stuff.
Old 06-05-15, 09:30 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Default F Sport Intake or Not?

I got the injen cold intake love how it looks , my car is in the shop now getting some goodies on but can't wait to hear how it sounds with my joez catback exhaust
Attached Thumbnails F Sport Intake or Not?-photo937.jpg   F Sport Intake or Not?-photo353.jpg  

Last edited by Kwik8276; 06-05-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 02:27 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
just checked out the website about the product and it looks promising. I would like to see a dyno other than the company's though. powder coated heat shield that still connects to the stock ram air tube and the intake tube is plastic as well. funny how they have a pic of the 3is eng bay, but the years listed are 2is.

but looking at the overall design, I don't see how it differs from the stock set up. it's still a plastic tube w/ a heat shield. the only difference is an open cone filter. unless the open filter inside of the heat shield walls gets more volume of air compared to the air box (with after market filter element ie f sport, toms, k&n, etc) I don't see how it would be better; the stock set up is still getting cooler ram air as the open air filter would.

im the one who said AFE magnum force is the best for daily driving the most important thing about the cold air intake is the pipe ( never buy steel pipe like injen or takeda etc. unless you live in ALASKA

Old 06-07-15, 09:18 AM
cp2
Racer

well congrats on your purchase. it would have been nice to get a dyno from an actual owner and not the company. it the results from an actual customer were similar to that shown by the company (on their site), i'd jump all over it! but until then...maintaining course.

hey mesh704, do you have the opportunity to get a dyno done from where you're located?
Old 06-12-15, 08:49 AM
chuongzzz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N always , that's enough and save ur money for the other toy

Name:  CDBFBD50-1BFB-4DA3-8251-C5FF469B3F29.jpg
Views: 5810
Size:  115.8 KB

Quick Reply: F Sport Intake or Not?