Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single turbo 02 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 01:29 PM
MikeSRT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car And great numbers.

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Very impressive numbers,
How's the turbo GS and the 535 doing? ...lol

Last edited by MikeSRT; 12-09-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 02:58 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!! Don't see many turbo 3uz's
Old 12-09-14, 07:43 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Newly discovered 3uz engineering info!!!

So I was surfing the old interweb on 3uz info. on fuel rail pulsation dampers. Came across a forum on lextreme that breaks down the difference between the 2000 gs400 1uz engines, and the 2001 gs430 3uz engines. I'm not talking about the pics between the connecting rods or anything im talking measurements down to the intake valve diameters. More importantly!!! Found out the crankshafts in the 3uz are forged and so are the connecting rods. yes they look thinner but if their made of a more tensile strength material than hell ya'. the link to look for those interested is http://www.lextreme.com/forums/3uzfe.pdf It makes for very interesting reading.
Old 12-09-14, 07:56 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default angus

Originally Posted by angus
You are correct and that is why I said "depending how you drive it" but you must know that there are a pretty decent number of guys out there with boosted 1UZ motors who have blown them up by trial and error.

I think that as long as you've seen the same material I have to support the concern over breaking the motor (primarily the rods and the sleeves) then you assume the risk and will not be surprised or angry if it breaks.

Seems that the general consensus amongst 1UZ guys (there are lots of guys out there with plenty of experience boosting them - the 1UZ is definitely a SOLID performer boosted) is that the later VVTi bottom ends are not reliable much over 400hp.

I applaud your work here because I have long thought about how to go about doing it and have yet to come up with a design I like (I am close though). I do not want to do or say anything to criticize or deter you from your project, my only motivation here is to prevent disappointment when (or if) you break the motor - I've seen it happen before, guy spends his time and money building car, car blows up, guy hates car and life - gives up.

Sorry if I sounded like I was just talking **** I guess most people here don't know I have been building turbo setups now for over 20 years and I have seen things done just about every way conceivable, some worked, some didn't. Yours works.
When I read you second to last paragraph I thought it hit the nail on the head. guy builds car, blows car up hates car and winds up getting divorced when he tells wife how much to make car driveable again. lol... by no means did I take anything you said wrong. sorry if it came off that way. but listen, I gotta tell ya'. im thinkin of jumping ship on the whole build already. its starting to sink in that if anything catastrophic happens I'd be screwed blued and tattooed. this morning on the way to work a brand new bmw m5 was just beggin to get spanked by the old bad black gs. light turned green and i smashed on it, after taking off, looking down the road ahead I realized I wasn't going any faster. looked at my rpms pegging out at 6500 and not shifting. didn't feel like it was slipping just hitting the rev limiter. my trans temps. at the time were steady 135f. let off the throttle and let it regain itself. rest of the drive went smooth but I'm trying to figure out why it pegged like that. im thinking maybe its tune related. like maf data not set up correct in the fic. its got the stock torque converter in it. smelt the trans fluid when I got to work but didn't smell clutch material frying.
Old 12-10-14, 08:28 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default Too any and all gs400/430 owners.

Lets say that I decided to remove everything I've installed on this 02gs430 of mine. sell the entire kit with fic8 and tune and everything. new turbo, intercooler all piping tial blow off valve, ceramic coated manifold, 550cc nikki injectors, turbine style walbro pump, you know. EVERYTHING. I wonder who would be interested and what kind of offers would be made if any.
Old 12-11-14, 09:58 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default Updated complete engine pics

Heres some pics of the engine bay completed.
Attached Thumbnails Single turbo 02 GS430-img_3536.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by badblackgs; 02-22-17 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:58 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dang...thats good lookin.

im super jelly
Old 02-12-15, 07:02 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice build and quality of work. Don't know how I missed this thread but glad I found it.
Old 02-13-15, 08:10 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS160
Nice build and quality of work. Don't know how I missed this thread but glad I found it.
guess i must have missed it as well... very impressive work and rare for that matter... Well thought out build and great numbers to back it up...

someone a while back also fabricated a turbo kit on a GS4 that was impressive as well...
Old 02-16-15, 08:01 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default turbo gs430

Looking back now I jumped ship on that build prematurely. The reason why is because the aem fic8 was the biggest pain in the but. It just wasn't sophisticated enough to be a daily driver. It didn't have cold start fueling control and the extended crank was the deal breaker. I should have just saved up for a motec or other standalone but then would have had problems with emissions testing issues probably. also should have put in a high stall converter. if those had been done than that car would have been un ****ing stoppable. it really was fast as hell at wot when 13psi was being shoved down the 3uz's throat. when I was rocking the five psi. spring in the wastegate, the tires would start breaking loose as I was accelerating in higher rpms. moral of the story.

Last edited by badblackgs; 02-22-17 at 06:21 AM. Reason: bad information
Old 02-16-15, 11:12 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Not a lot of info available for standalone tuning the GS400, however.
Old 02-16-15, 01:09 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Looking back now I jumped ship on that build prematurely. The reason why is because the aem fic8 was the biggest pain in the but. It just wasn't sophisticated enough to be a daily driver. It didn't have cold start fueling control and the extended crank was the deal breaker. I should have just saved up for a motec or other standalone but then would have had problems with emissions testing issues probably. also should have put in a high stall converter. if those had been done than that car would have been un ****ing stoppable. it really was fast as hell at wot when 13psi was being shoved down the 3uz's throat. when I was rocking the five psi. spring in the wastegate, the tires would start breaking loose as I was accelerating in higher rpms. moral of the story. DONT RUN AN FIC8.
On a daily that is, correct?
Old 02-21-15, 02:18 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

badblackgs, what did you do for the turbo oil drain and how did you run your exhaust after the downpipe? Did you just replace the stock fuel pump with a walbro?

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 02-21-15 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 10:17 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Looking back now I jumped ship on that build prematurely. The reason why is because the aem fic8 was the biggest pain in the but. It just wasn't sophisticated enough to be a daily driver. It didn't have cold start fueling control and the extended crank was the deal breaker. I should have just saved up for a motec or other standalone but then would have had problems with emissions testing issues probably. also should have put in a high stall converter. if those had been done than that car would have been un ****ing stoppable. it really was fast as hell at wot when 13psi was being shoved down the 3uz's throat. when I was rocking the five psi. spring in the wastegate, the tires would start breaking loose as I was accelerating in higher rpms. moral of the story. DONT RUN AN FIC8.
I think the key to the FIC is a tuner who is familiar with it.

It is a good tuning tool and we use it on some cars with great success - not to say it wasn't a real pain to get used to.

The extended cranking time can be a pain with many standalone's too.

I think if I were to do it I would stick to 5-7 psi.

Last edited by angus; 02-25-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 09:27 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default factory fuel control???

Angus!!! So heres the deal. sitting here thinking about how to reforce induction my car but not go all out like I did the first time, I had to think about all the things that have to be altered when forcing more air into the engine. so lets say that I slapped on some kind of whipple style supercharger on top of the engine. like from a ford cobra m112 or even a ctsv caddy supercharger known for their large displacement. ok so the supercharger is grafted on some how. slight modification and a belt is matched up to fit. and the throttle body is installed somehow, than injectors of similar flow rate to factory with high impedance resistance for stock computer. now for the most important, fuel. I went back and looked at my fic8 setup window and gauges for fueling and maf map. I discovered that the factory mass air flow sensor was under control all the way up to 8 psi. which than the fic maf clamp took over. so what that tells me is if I had a supercharger with the factory computer than I could in reality run about 7 psi on the risky side. But!!! I wonder what the air fuel ratio would be when boost is being made. also, to make things even more simple and responsive, since an intercooler wouldn't be in the mix. spraying some meth injection with a window switch that kicks in at about 2psi and up. therefore knock would completely be under control. If it wasn't for the fic8 I would have kept the turbo cuz it was sick at wot. so these are some things I was thinking. I messaged blue lex and asked him if he had an air fuel ratio reading on his car (trd supercharger gs400) under boost.

Quick Reply: Single turbo 02 GS430