Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single turbo 02 GS430

Old 12-03-14, 07:14 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Big news!!!!

Yesterday to took a trip to the tuner that is familiar with the aem fic platform. got there at twelve, and for the next 3 1/2 hours watched my gs430 make more pulls on the dyno than I can count. I watched that car go from free wheeling the dyno drum to a full on drag test for horsepower and torque. It was amazing and I was cringing all at the same time. by the time the tuner chris Delgado at d3 motorsports had finally tuned the vacuum section and transition, the boost started to keep getting turned up until it finally put down 453RWHP at 11 psi with 438 ft. lbs. torque!!!!!! it was wicked to watch. I have the dyno printout to back up this outlandish claim. its at work in my toolbox but ill take a pic tomorrow and post it. the horsepower and torque curve parallel each other almost perfectly. it puts down 300ft. lbs. at 3600 rpms. im surprised that stock 3uz held up. at one point the boost was at 13psi for fuel table mapping. total timing removed was only -4.60 degrees at 11 pounds boost. had to pull the plugs back out and gap em' down to 25 thousandths. started missing up top. and with the external trans cooler I have that's bypassed the radiator. the trans temps never went over 160f. even under sever dyno pulls. I also did that mod to the trans valve body for firmer shifts. which works by the way. I got some video ill upload.

Last edited by badblackgs; 12-11-14 at 07:56 AM. Reason: private info.
Old 12-03-14, 07:22 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Angus, the turbo is a journal bearing turbonetics hurricane lety. chosen due to the exhaust a/r ratio for the liter displacement of the engine and the horsepower goal I had in mind. the manifold I made my self. bought all the mandrel bent 304 stainless from Columbia river mandrel bending. I bought the flange from lextreme and went from there. the reason I designed the hot side the way I did was due to a similar design on ls engines that run a single turbo. let me tell you, it was no picnic. I spent six hours just on fabbing up the manifold and crossover pipe. just to take it all back out for some extreme tig welding and ceramic coating. I had a badass kn air filter that fit perfectly on the turbo inlet but discovered very quickly it wouldn't build boost for crap. so screened it up until I get creative.
Old 12-03-14, 07:38 PM
johhntran
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang this is awesome!
Old 12-03-14, 07:59 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default just posted three videos to youtube.

type in single turbo lexus. the name their under is mrbattlelac. ill try and upload them on here.
Old 12-03-14, 08:24 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default heres links to the gs430 build

Old 12-04-14, 06:49 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics of the FIC install? Did you have to wire it in or was there a PNP harness?

Trans is stock other than what you mentioned?
Old 12-04-14, 09:46 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job!
So I know you fabricated a lot of this stuff, but what would a set up like this cost ?
Old 12-05-14, 10:02 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very impressive numbers,
Old 12-05-14, 12:43 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Yesterday to took a three hour trip to the tuner that is familiar with the aem fic platform. got there at twelve, and for the next 3 1/2 hours watched my gs430 make more pulls on the dyno than I can count. I watched that car go from free wheeling the dyno drum to a full on drag test for horsepower and torque. It was amazing and I was cringing all at the same time. by the time the tuner chris Delgado at d3 motorsports had finally tuned the vacuum section and transition, the boost started to keep getting turned up until it finally put down 453RWHP at 11 psi with 438 ft. lbs. torque!!!!!! it was wicked to watch. I have the dyno printout to back up this outlandish claim. its at work in my toolbox but ill take a pic tomorrow and post it. the horsepower and torque curve parallel each other almost perfectly. it puts down 300ft. lbs. at 3600 rpms. im surprised that stock 3uz held up. at one point the boost was at 13psi for fuel table mapping. total timing removed was only -4.60 degrees at 11 pounds boost. had to pull the plugs back out and gap em' down to 25 thousandths. started missing up top. and with the external trans cooler I have that's bypassed the radiator. the trans temps never went over 160f. even under sever dyno pulls. I also did that mod to the trans valve body for firmer shifts. which works by the way. I got some video ill upload.
omgz...i want that power!

congrats. sounds like it was an especially awesome day
Old 12-05-14, 01:31 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Sweet.
Not to be rude, but how much did you spend on the project?
Old 12-06-14, 07:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome! Again, great work man!

The power delivery is just so different and so nice in a forced induction V8. Almost done with mine too.
Old 12-06-14, 08:35 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great work, but I think your motor may not last long at that power level (depending how you drive it)

Any plans to build it?

I am guessing the easy way out may be an early 1UZ block...

Last edited by angus; 12-06-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 08:58 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default power level?

Originally Posted by angus
Great work, but I think your motor may not last long at that power level (depending how you drive it)

Any plans to build it?

I am guessing the easy way out may be an early 1UZ block...
The question is angus, who do know that owns a turbo charged 3uz that was boosting over 10 pounds and blew the engine? Im curious as to who came up with this "no more than 10psi or you'll blow it" theory. Im aware that many 2uz factory supercharged engines were blowing rods due to there weak design but theres many factors to take into account. weight of vehicle, gearing, dead stop punches with excessive load on drive train, tire size. ive seen on lextremes web page his comparison of 1uz to 3uz rods and there is an obvious difference. yes forged internals would be sweet but I just don't wanna do anymore unless someone else is paying for it. based on how much punishment I watched it go thru when it was on the dyno, if it was gonna blow it probably would have. it was pushed up to 13psi many times and watched the car squat in the rear and lift in the front like the straps were gonna break. only time will tell though. I took it up to 120 this morning on the way to work without effort and it feels like its just getting started at that speed. to bad its illegal.
Old 12-06-14, 11:36 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by badblackgs
The question is angus, who do know that owns a turbo charged 3uz that was boosting over 10 pounds and blew the engine? Im curious as to who came up with this "no more than 10psi or you'll blow it" theory. Im aware that many 2uz factory supercharged engines were blowing rods due to there weak design but theres many factors to take into account. weight of vehicle, gearing, dead stop punches with excessive load on drive train, tire size. ive seen on lextremes web page his comparison of 1uz to 3uz rods and there is an obvious difference. yes forged internals would be sweet but I just don't wanna do anymore unless someone else is paying for it. based on how much punishment I watched it go thru when it was on the dyno, if it was gonna blow it probably would have. it was pushed up to 13psi many times and watched the car squat in the rear and lift in the front like the straps were gonna break. only time will tell though. I took it up to 120 this morning on the way to work without effort and it feels like its just getting started at that speed. to bad its illegal.
You are correct and that is why I said "depending how you drive it" but you must know that there are a pretty decent number of guys out there with boosted 1UZ motors who have blown them up by trial and error.

I think that as long as you've seen the same material I have to support the concern over breaking the motor (primarily the rods and the sleeves) then you assume the risk and will not be surprised or angry if it breaks.

Seems that the general consensus amongst 1UZ guys (there are lots of guys out there with plenty of experience boosting them - the 1UZ is definitely a SOLID performer boosted) is that the later VVTi bottom ends are not reliable much over 400hp.

I applaud your work here because I have long thought about how to go about doing it and have yet to come up with a design I like (I am close though). I do not want to do or say anything to criticize or deter you from your project, my only motivation here is to prevent disappointment when (or if) you break the motor - I've seen it happen before, guy spends his time and money building car, car blows up, guy hates car and life - gives up.

Sorry if I sounded like I was just talking **** I guess most people here don't know I have been building turbo setups now for over 20 years and I have seen things done just about every way conceivable, some worked, some didn't. Yours works.
Old 12-06-14, 11:43 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Also any plans to run water/meth?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single turbo 02 GS430