Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single turbo 02 GS430

Old 02-22-17, 06:46 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Update

I feel compelled to do this update and take back some of the negative words I used towards the FIC8. At the time the deal breaker for me and what prompted me to remove the entire turbo kit and FIC8 was the extended crank. I mean it was ridiculous. In the morning the car would start right up, but if running into the store real quick than coming back out, the car would crank for literally five plus seconds before firing off. I made multiple phone calls to AEM tech support to try and find out why. The biggest suspect was the cam crank signals. The thought was that the FIC8 could not sync up the cam and crank signals during hot engine starts due to the FIC8s' universal trigger design. We tried uploading different software into it and changing out the resistors that came in the boom slang harness that I was using. But it never got better. So with that and the first time I experienced my trans banging on the rev limiter, I freaked out and yanked it all out. Oh!!!! and one more thing. Once it was running, it always seemed to be a dog off the line. If the light turned green and I punched it, it always seemed to fall on its face. it would never do a burn out. but once it was accelerating the tires (stock wheels and tire sizes) would break loose in higher rpms. Now that i've been running the supercharger I realized what the problem was. I never turned the traction control (VSC) off. Our cars are very sensitive to the slightest bit of slippage and that is exactly what was happening when ever i'd go to punch it. It was not the turbo lag. Anyways, the reason to this long story is that the extended cranking I complained about turned out the be the aftermarket fuel pump I was running. It was a walbro F10000302 ford gt supercar pump. turbine style not gearotor, worked with pulsewidth modulated fuel pump control units like our cars have and flowed 250lph similar to the walbro gss342 that everyone under the sun uses but walbro told me specifically not to use. the reason was because our original fuel pumps and pulse width modulated. it operates off of three different voltages and thus three different speeds. idle and cruise it gets only 8.5 volts (pwm) and medium acceleration 10 volts than wide open throttle 12.5. because of that, when the pump is spinning slowly, the walbro gss342 design gearotor that picks the fuel up cavitates and will cause early fuel pump failure along with a noisier pump because its not efficiently pulling the fuel up into the pump and keeping the system primed. that almost verbatim from the techs mouth at walbro. The F10000302 seemed like the perfect fit except for one small detail that was never advertised at all. NO CHECK VALVE NO CHECK VALVE NO CHECK VALVE. our factory denso pumps have a check valve built into the fuel outlet of the fuel pump. the F10000302 does not. because of that, whenever my engine was hot, the fuel rails from heat would vaporize the fuel and the vapors would push the fuel back down the line and drain the fuel line. in the mornings it would start fine because the pump could immediately prime the lines and there was no hot vapors that had to be pumped out first. So... I got rid of an awesome turbo setup that had alot of potential for more power because of a stupid lack of check valve. I just went thru the same thing with my supercharger. I installed that same walbro again and got the extended crank and thats when i dug into it and found the issue. so I bought a brand new denso pump and never looked back. The FIC8 was user friendly and had alot of really good features. If I wanted to keep putting money into my supercharger build, I would buy another FIC8 with boomslang harness and run some bigger injectors and be able to pull timing and skew the o2's for closed loop fuel control.
The following 3 users liked this post by badblackgs:
bloodMoney (02-24-17), firelizard (02-22-17), GSJake (03-03-17)
Old 03-14-17, 09:03 AM
JackRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know bhp please . . .could you potentialy fit one in gs 250 2012 ? and potentialy how much extra horse power this would give you ?
Old 02-14-22, 08:19 AM
AsaBanton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Lets say that I decided to remove everything I've installed on this 02gs430 of mine. sell the entire kit with fic8 and tune and everything. new turbo, intercooler all piping tial blow off valve, ceramic coated manifold, 550cc nikki injectors, turbine style walbro pump, you know. EVERYTHING. I wonder who would be interested and what kind of offers would be made if any.
I know this is an old thread but I'd be very interested in buying this turbo kit for my 06 Crown Majesta.