Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

High Idle / Barely accelarates after cleaning Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 01:54 PM
houstex2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle / Barely accelarates after cleaning Throttle Body (fixed)

-----------------------
Been following this forum for years and finally decided to become an actual member and have gotten so much useful information, so first of all thank you Club Lexus! (forgive me if I posted in the wrong place)Now...

Sorry for the essay I wrote, if yo uwant, you can skip down to the summary/last paragraph.

Background:
I've been having performance issues with my 2004 GS300 (140,000miles) lately. Loss of power, all that good stuff so I replaced a couple O2 sensors (per codes p0051, P0057, P0037), cleaned MAF, replaced intake hose (realized it was cracked). Car seemed to be running much better but still wasnt running as it should be and would notice loss of power on the highway (around 40mph).

The next thing I decided to do was clean the throttle body. I had sprayed some TB Cleaner into it after only removing the intake pipe but didnt get much results so I decided I was going to remove the entire TB for a thorough clean. I struggled a bit while trying to remove it and did a really dumb thing and disconnected the TBS (didnt know what it was at the time) thinking i needed to. Before I could completely remove TB, it got late so i decided i'd get back at it the next day. I put everything back together (I admit a bit half-assed). When I tried to start the car, the

After I put everything back together, and started it, it would crank/turn over but would die off immediately. Reading about flooded engines on this forum and elsewhere, i went the route of the whole "turn key, floor the gas pedal" etc..Still wouldnt stay on so went ahead and slept on it.

The next morning (today) I tried to turn it on again and same issue so i decided to this time, really remove the TB completely. I l removed the 5 bolts and slid it out about an inch or so and sprayed TB cleaner again (this time from behind the butterfly. I reconnected everything back together this time, went over everything hose, electrical connection etc and went to attempt to start the car

This time It finally started up immeditely, (must've left something loose the night before) I was really happy but then I noticed it was idling VERY high (2000-3000 RPM) and when I drove off in it, I noticed the gas pedal felt loose and the car did not accelarate until I was basically flooring it. Pressing the pedal 50-80% down did absolutely nothing and it felt a bit loose. Only when I floored it did it finally accelerate a bit. So basically when I floor it, it responds as if I'm just lightly tapping the pedal (in normal conditions).

I don't know if I loosened/pulled the throttle cable (it seems to have a little bit of slack) when I slid the TB out or if I may have damaged the TPS when I removed it.

Summary: After sliding TB out and then putting it back in, it dles high (3000rpm) as well as when it's in neutral. Idles slightly high when I'm stopped in Drive (1000rpm) and worst of all, the gas pedal seems loose and wont accelarte until I floor it. I have to floor it for a while for it go get to 35mph.

Last edited by houstex2gs; 11-18-14 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Resolved
Old 11-18-14, 07:26 PM
houstex2gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved

I resolved the problem by replacing my TPS (throttle position sensor). I had to install it twice and tweak/adjust it a bit to get it just right. My idle is back to normal and my pedal is responsive again however I am back to where I was before i cleaned the throttle body but will create a new thread for that.