Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE headers w/o cats + dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 09:06 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPE headers w/o cats + dual exhaust

I'm posting this due to the fact that it seems many of the PPE header owners went catless and love it, which couldn't be any further from the truth for me.

For anyone who has an x-piped exhaust or a true dual exhaust and plans to go catless, please reconsider. , I had 2 virabants 16" resonators, a magnaflow x pipe, followed by 2x 26" magnaflow resonators and 2 oval Megan Mufflers, and it sounded amazing. After getting the headers put on without cats, it made the most ungodly metal on metal noise you could imagine. When the air converged in the xpipe, it sounded like someone shaking an aluminum can full of marbles.

Thinking maybe it was a defective resonator as it sounded like something was inside them when you hit them, I had the vibrants removed, which only made the noise coming from the x pipe even worse. So I figured what the hell, let's take out the x pipe too. Now the car sounds like a beefy civic lol.

So I called PPE, and they pretty much said the same thing, that without cats, it has a really metal on metal noise that just can't be avoided. The best way they had found so far was to use 2 high flow cats that they sell(magnaflows that are fabbed to get welded in right after the headers with an O2 bung), along with a muffled x pipe (magnaflow MPE-14385). These have been ordered and should be here by the end of the week. I'll post again once I get the cats and xpipe in.

Last edited by DaXxJaPxX; 09-21-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 11:12 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm....interesting. Keep us posted and if you can make a video clip, do indeed.
Old 09-23-14, 06:16 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Well its not painfully loud and obnoxious without the x pipe, but it still sounds like garbage. I'll get a few videos up, they'll be crappy phone ones, but oh well.
Old 10-01-14, 10:12 AM
alee350
Pole Position

Just installed my headers and yup I got a lot of rasp as well curious to hear how it will sound most likely will end up going the same route! I have a quick question for you though how did you manage to get the ac line away from the driver side headers?
Old 10-06-14, 07:31 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Originally Posted by alee350
Just installed my headers and yup I got a lot of rasp as well curious to hear how it will sound most likely will end up going the same route! I have a quick question for you though how did you manage to get the ac line away from the driver side headers?
I'll see if I can shoot a vid sometime this week. With the high flow cats and muffled x pipe, its relatively quiet but sounds deep, and has little to no drone. As far as the AC line goes, i'm not sure, I didn't do the intall myself.
Old 10-29-14, 07:49 PM
Shanksmoon
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe exhaust with stock mid pipe and catless PPE header setup sounds great. Tiny bit of rasp when cold and at mid rpm but this was PPE's recomended setup for the best sound under 100db catless. Love it
Old 10-29-14, 11:32 PM
jrule2
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanksmoon
Tanabe exhaust with stock mid pipe and catless PPE header setup sounds great. Tiny bit of rasp when cold and at mid rpm but this was PPE's recomended setup for the best sound under 100db catless. Love it
Would love to hear a video of this setup if you've got one? Similar to what I was thinking of running.