Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'09 is 250 thinking of installing intake & exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 08:22 PM
jahuna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 is 250 thinking of installing intake & exhaust?

I'm considering installing a cold air intake and exhaust into my car but I have no idea where to start in choosing one. I mainly want it for the added fuel economy but the horsepower and acoustics are just a bonus. Any help on choosing and price ranges/tips would be appreciated!
Old 09-01-14, 08:22 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will not get better fuel economy with either. Wherever you heard that from, forget it.

The fsport intake ($300 through Sewell Lexus) and joeZ intake tube with a drop in fsport filter ($120 for tube, $67 for filter) yields the best performance. Regardless, the performance is negligeable with only ~6ish HP at most. You will not feel it.

Exhaust is much the same...no noticeable performance. The fsport exhaust ($1300 from Sewell Lexus) is very popular on the forum. Gredfy SP and Tanabe ($600-$1000) are popular options as well that are a little cheaper. There are some cheap knockoffs that you can buy such as M2. I think they run $300ish. Also a midpipe is a nice addition to the catback exhaust. Tanabe and invidia are your options. I suggest you get a few quotes from the vendors on this forum. They all have competetive pricing.

Intake and exhaust are predominantly just for aesthetics and increased noise. You have to weigh the benefits with the price you are willing to pay.
Old 09-02-14, 04:59 PM
caw1984
Driver School Candidate

joeZ intake tube and diy F-sport lower box for the win, oh also a f-sport or hks drop in filter
Old 09-19-14, 08:39 PM
Shanksmoon
Driver School Candidate

JoeZ with a blitz drop in filter is also nifty. I have a tanabe MT and love the low beefy sound that is not loud.
Old 09-19-14, 09:12 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
You will not get better fuel economy with either. Wherever you heard that from, forget it.

The fsport intake ($300 through Sewell Lexus) and joeZ intake tube with a drop in fsport filter ($120 for tube, $67 for filter) yields the best performance. Regardless, the performance is negligeable with only ~6ish HP at most. You will not feel it.

Exhaust is much the same...no noticeable performance. The fsport exhaust ($1300 from Sewell Lexus) is very popular on the forum. Gredfy SP and Tanabe ($600-$1000) are popular options as well that are a little cheaper. There are some cheap knockoffs that you can buy such as M2. I think they run $300ish. Also a midpipe is a nice addition to the catback exhaust. Tanabe and invidia are your options. I suggest you get a few quotes from the vendors on this forum. They all have competetive pricing.

Intake and exhaust are predominantly just for aesthetics and increased noise. You have to weigh the benefits with the price you are willing to pay.
couldnt have said it better myself
Old 09-24-14, 12:47 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jahuna
I'm considering installing a cold air intake and exhaust into my car but I have no idea where to start in choosing one. I mainly want it for the added fuel economy but the horsepower and acoustics are just a bonus. Any help on choosing and price ranges/tips would be appreciated!
There's your problem; you won't find one.
Old 09-24-14, 12:50 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VTsuckah

With a less restrictive filter, tube, and exhaust, meaning better airflow, you will get better fuel economy. In reality that doesn't happen because you're constantly flooring the car for the noise.
Old 09-30-14, 09:15 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Intake I suggest Injen SP series. Real gains felt, not placebo, and 1mpg+ average on the tank
Old 10-10-14, 09:27 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
With a less restrictive filter, tube, and exhaust, meaning better airflow, you will get better fuel economy. In reality that doesn't happen because you're constantly flooring the car for the noise.
This is incorrect. In fact, if you are providing more air or colder air, the fuel injection system will inject MORE fuel at any given throttle setting. Now, this does produce more power at full throttle, but the fuel/air ratio is constant and it will have little to no effect on mileage.

Further, in a modern, fuel injected car, even a dirty and clogged air filter won't have an effect on fuel mileage. It will restrict airflow, but the fuel injection system will only inject enough fuel for the air present. So, total available power will be less, but gas mileage will remain constant for a given power setting.
Old 10-10-14, 09:44 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have not seem any change in mpg with my Takeda... I kinda feel if anything it went down ca use I get on it more than before lol.

Sport shift gears 2 to 3 to 4 sound nice!
Old 10-11-14, 04:12 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

consider this combo if you want that bonus. F-sport intake and F-sport exhaust from Lexus

Old 10-12-14, 06:53 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's say you have joe Z intake already can you take out your air box and add a cone filter and heat shield to Joe z intake? Thanks.
Old 10-12-14, 03:38 PM
TheLoyolan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You typically don't install air intake nor exhaust for fuel economy. Many people don'd seem to understand that air intakes introduce more air into the combustion chamber and the fuel injection system compensates for that by adding more fuel in turn. Simply put: more air = more fuel burned. Now, if you add an intake, and drive normal, the fuel economy should not decrease. However, most drivers are always flooring it to get that added intake growl from the engine. And that plummets the fuel economy. I typically do not see a decrease in fuel economy by adding exhaust systems, except for the a fore mentioned fact where drivers will mash the pedal to get that exhaust up and running. Generally speaking, an exhaust system will make air flow less restrictive and free-flowing. That should help fuel economy. As for myself, I'm considering an air intake from Injen and an exhaust from Greddy.
Old 10-24-14, 09:37 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^ yup... I def didn't do it for better gas lol solely for the growl
Old 10-31-14, 05:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I get better fuel economy (1 MPG) with the F Sport intake if i drive normally. Some other members did report the same gain. However, the thing is, once I have it, I keep flooring the car above 3500+ RPM to hear that intake sound... it is so damnnnnnn addicting

F Sport has been proven with dyno with 6HP gain on IS250 and 4HP gain on IS350 also so usually people in generally say ~5HP gain.

F Sport intake and exhaust need to go together because exhaust scream at 2500 RPM and then kind of higher pitch out at 3500 RPM where the F Sport intake kicks in with rawwwww growll like a tiger. These two items are just made for each others lol.

Quick Reply: '09 is 250 thinking of installing intake & exhaust?