Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?

Old 09-26-14, 08:39 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing I wanted to mention is that the SRT intake is a drastic power increase from the K&N you have - I did it and it was a huge difference.

Also - not too sure that the 2JZGTE is a plug and play for the GS400 - in a GS300 it is a straight plug and play (you need to jump only one wire from the igniter).
Old 09-26-14, 11:53 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my PPE headers, higher stall (2400) TC,IPT valve body, and supra LSD (kept stock 3.23 gearing) installed for about 3K now.
This combo has completely transformed the car.
As previously mentioned the headers waken up the 4.3\4.0. It feels a ton more responsive throughout the whole RPM range.
The Valve body\TC make the transmission much more "alive" also.. the shifts are crisper and the torque curve seems more suited for each shift point.
The limited slip is just the icing on the cake as it not only gives much more traction, its just a lot of fun!
Less of the intrusive traction control module is needed.
Old 09-26-14, 12:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I have had my PPE headers, higher stall (2400) TC,IPT valve body, and supra LSD (kept stock 3.23 gearing) installed for about 3K now.
This combo has completely transformed the car.
As previously mentioned the headers waken up the 4.3\4.0. It feels a ton more responsive throughout the whole RPM range.
The Valve body\TC make the transmission much more "alive" also.. the shifts are crisper and the torque curve seems more suited for each shift point.
The limited slip is just the icing on the cake as it not only gives much more traction, its just a lot of fun!
Less of the intrusive traction control module is needed.
sounds like you have the perfect combo... I'm jealous lol....
Old 09-26-14, 04:56 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
If you think the headers wake the car up, wait until you throw a 3000 stall torque converter combined with the Supra 3.73 gears! This is an even more dramatic difference IMHO.

Obviously they don't add any power but it multiplies the power being made and puts it to the ground...when you're not sideways that is. Lol 😃 Unfortunately, parts and install for this combo will probably set you back close to $2500. The whole tranny has to come down and apart to install the TC.
Looking forward to installing a TC and a Lsd. Just sitting back waiting for some to pop up for a good price. As for labor, that's not a problem as I can do that myself.
Old 09-26-14, 08:21 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clos430
Looking forward to installing a TC and a Lsd. Just sitting back waiting for some to pop up for a good price. As for labor, that's not a problem as I can do that myself.
What would you consider a good price? There's one close to me for sale for around $500 from a Supra breaking yard; wondering if I should jump on it or wait it out for a cheaper one.
Old 09-27-14, 06:04 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All, IMHO I would either do only the TC or both TC and LSD at the same time. The TC by far will make the most dramatic difference; both is the ultimate but I feel you need the steeper gears to get that increase acceleration in every gear. Keeping the same 3.26 gears will feel exactly the same under acceleration. Only you'll have added grip from the LSD which you WONT NEED unless you have the high stall torque converter or putting out a good amount of power over stock from added mods. If you don't have either you should NOT have traction issues and adding only a 3.26 LSD will be a WASTE. trust me on this. If you are under say 280whp def get a high stall TC of around 2800-3000rpm stall. Then get the 3.73 geared LSD (either from a Supra TT or the RMM one sold by L-Tuned parts...however they're the same).

If you KNOW you will go forced induction one day then yes, stick to the 3.26 stock gearing when getting your LSD. Other than that get the 3.76 gears, you WILL feel the difference in acceleration! The only downfall regarding BOTH of these mods is reduced mpg (about a 2 mpg drop) and your tranny will shift to 3rd at 58mph with the steeper 3.76 gears. As opposed to 62mph with the stock 3.26 gears. So, technically, if measuring exactly to 60mph your car will be slower. But it will only be slower exactly to 60; all other speeds will be quicker. AND if you also have the high stall TC as well it will STILL be quicker to 60 because the high stall TC would give such an incredible jump off the line that even though you'll shift a little sooner you'll still be way ahead by 60. . This is why I DO NOT recommend only going with the LSD mod by itself (regardless of gearing used).

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just trying to help out as I've been there already. Good luck all!

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 09-27-14 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 08:31 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Rock.. good post and I mostly agree, but I had some traction issues without any mods at all, lol. You were never able to have a one wheel wonder burn out with just your stock 400?

The LSD will help with traction IN ALL situations. When in spirited driving the factory traction control is not intervening as much.. and when its turned off its very easy to get a drift going. Makes the car much more confident in entering and exiting the apex.

And remember for all you 4.3 guys out there.. anything higher than 2500\2600 may produce a CEL from your TQ converter mod.
From the research I did it looked like ~2400 was the sweet spot over factory that is why I went this route.
Old 09-27-14, 08:37 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
sounds like you have the perfect combo... I'm jealous lol....
It is perfect for my daily! Its rather comfy (my JIC's are a tad stiff) and has more than enough power for the commute. Very happy how it all tuned out.

I may.... may look into a 50 shot next summer...
Old 09-27-14, 11:22 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the PI TC from my 02 gs430 2800stall. Don't know if it was just the car or the way the TC was built but It never threw a cel in my car. Definitely best mod for these cars aside from FI
I will have this unit for sale sometime soon (whenever I get around to finally posting all of my parts for sale)
Old 09-27-14, 12:10 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I should point out from what I read it was random. I was just not going to take the chance for issue for 400/rpm.
Thanks LALEX1.
Old 09-27-14, 03:01 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rock.. good post and I mostly agree, but I had some traction issues without any mods at all, lol. You were never able to have a one wheel wonder burn out with just your stock 400?

The LSD will help with traction IN ALL situations. When in spirited driving the factory traction control is not intervening as much.. and when its turned off its very easy to get a drift going. Makes the car much more confident in entering and exiting the apex.

And remember for all you 4.3 guys out there.. anything higher than 2500\2600 may produce a CEL from your TQ converter mod.
From the research I did it looked like ~2400 was the sweet spot over factory that is why I went this route.
Hey. Perhaps you don't have good tires OR you were trying to lose traction like mashing the gas WOT off the line with traction control off. Then yes, you would lose traction. Previously, with my last bolt-on mod setup I would lose traction going 3/4 throttle off the line. Would let up off the gas at 25/30mph and go WOT again and lose traction (sideways) again. That is real traction issues where you CAN'T put it down to the ground when you are trying not to. A stockish GS4XX should NOT have severe uncontrollable traction issues where you NEED an LSD; it would be more of a want where you COULD then just mash the gas off the line with little or no wheelspin. But again, it is not necessary for a stockish GS4XX IMHO.

Everyone should get the steeper gear setup for better performance and quicker shifting. It pulls SO NICE on the highway.
Old 09-29-14, 01:25 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
What would you consider a good price? There's one close to me for sale for around $500 from a Supra breaking yard; wondering if I should jump on it or wait it out for a cheaper one.
That's a great price, I would jump on it. As far as the TC I missed one a couple months ago in the classifieds that sold for 200$ I'm pretty sure I won't see one for that cheap of a price.

Great info Rock, I always look forward to your input. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the info man, I remember reading something about the check engine light coming on also when you use higher stalls.
Old 10-27-14, 03:03 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is a good place to source TC's and valve body upgrades? Any of the forum vendors sell these for a GS400?
Old 01-12-15, 11:23 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Ended up purchasing OBX headers, B&M intercooler, and LALEX's PI TC. Install and dyno to come in the next couple weeks!
Old 01-12-15, 11:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Ended up purchasing OBX headers, B&M intercooler, and LALEX's PI TC. Install and dyno to come in the next couple weeks!
can't wait for a video and your review....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?