Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 01:15 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?

So I am finally getting around to doing some engine mods. Thus far all I have done is L-Tuned exhaust, K&N Intake, Apexi Neo and dyno tune. Due to the nature of my job, I am keeping my car as professional looking as possible (I often times have clients in the car). I'm rocking the stock 17" chromies with 25mm Ichiba hubcentric spacers in the rear and 15mm Ichiba hubcentirc spacers in the front with L-Tuned suspension and I love the way it looks and drives (check it out below).

I have been talking with my shop out here trying to figure out what mod to do next. PPE headers and PI Torque converter (and tranny cooler) are both on my list. They have recommended doing the headers next and then going from there. I am asking the Club for your input. What do you think I should do next? Headers? TC? Valve body upgrade? Other suggestions? I always love hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

Geigs
Attached Thumbnails What Next?  Headers, TC, other ideas?-gs-400-on-stockies.jpg  
Old 08-21-14, 02:58 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

I'd have said you should've gotten the headers before the tune, then went TC/LSD, etc. Nice ride though.
Old 08-21-14, 03:13 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

I will be tuning again after each mod. I'm considering doing the torque converter, tranny cooler, and headers all at once. I just don't think I want to shell out all that cash at one time.
Old 08-21-14, 03:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

TC, tranny cooler are fine but if you have clients in the car headers and exhaust they may not like... there's pretty heavy drone in the back seats at least in my car..
Old 08-21-14, 03:32 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had all of the above, and th TC will definitely be the most noticeable mod. If you are interested in a TC let me know. I have one that I removed from my GS. I will be posting it for sale soon.
Old 08-21-14, 03:39 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I've had all of the above, and th TC will definitely be the most noticeable mod. If you are interested in a TC let me know. I have one that I removed from my GS. I will be posting it for sale soon.
LALEX just PMed
Old 08-21-14, 03:47 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
TC, tranny cooler are fine but if you have clients in the car headers and exhaust they may not like... there's pretty heavy drone in the back seats at least in my car..
I found this clip with an L-Tuned exhaust and S&S Headers. I would assume the PPE headers would sound similar. When I have clients in the car I'm generally not really getting on the gas. I had a suburban with a Magnaflow exhaust that droned like crazy, it was super annoying.

Old 08-21-14, 03:58 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the PPE headers, SRT intake&piggyback, and tanabe medallion axlebacks.

The headers are great and I can recommend it to any GS4 owner. Be warned that the install is hard though.

I only rolled with the headers alone for about 1 week before the intake+ecu, and it still made a pretty nice difference, the mid range felt a lot better.

Now with it all combined, past 4.5k it really feels way better, I had just the axleback before and it doesn't even sound like the same car.

It's still very quiet though, if I drive gingerly i bet pedestrians 15 ft away couldn't even pick the car's noise out from traffic at all. I don't think passengers would be annoyed by it. You could just crack your window 1 inch and it would cancel out any drone in city driving.

Overall very happy with the PPE headers, I think you will like it, and it's not loud at all.

Only problem was, the steering shaft kind of rubbed on the driver header but it stopped after a week, and it's been fine ever since I think it ground itself a little clearance

Your car looks great BTW, nice to see the stock chromes in good shape, and the grille looks good too
Old 08-21-14, 06:34 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by LALEX1
LALEX, I trust tried to shoot you a PM with my cell and it's saying you need to clear some space before accepting more messages.
Old 08-21-14, 07:10 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
LALEX, I trust tried to shoot you a PM with my cell and it's saying you need to clear some space before accepting more messages.
i cleared some messages now
Old 08-21-14, 11:00 PM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Originally Posted by Ava92
I have the PPE headers, SRT intake&piggyback, and tanabe medallion axlebacks.

The headers are great and I can recommend it to any GS4 owner. Be warned that the install is hard though.

I only rolled with the headers alone for about 1 week before the intake+ecu, and it still made a pretty nice difference, the mid range felt a lot better.

Now with it all combined, past 4.5k it really feels way better, I had just the axleback before and it doesn't even sound like the same car.

It's still very quiet though, if I drive gingerly i bet pedestrians 15 ft away couldn't even pick the car's noise out from traffic at all. I don't think passengers would be annoyed by it. You could just crack your window 1 inch and it would cancel out any drone in city driving.

Overall very happy with the PPE headers, I think you will like it, and it's not loud at all.

Only problem was, the steering shaft kind of rubbed on the driver header but it stopped after a week, and it's been fine ever since I think it ground itself a little clearance

Your car looks great BTW, nice to see the stock chromes in good shape, and the grille looks good too
That's some good info there. I have the srt intake and tanabe medallion catbacks. Headers are next on my list. Then a TC and the 3.76 lsd that's just sitting in the garage.
Old 08-22-14, 05:10 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusjg1
That's some good info there. I have the srt intake and tanabe medallion catbacks. Headers are next on my list. Then a TC and the 3.76 lsd that's just sitting in the garage.
Lol great minds think alike right? I want a TC bad but i kind of want a GTE swap..but I'm conflicted right now since my engine+trans still works perfectly. So let us know how those upgrades feel once you do them!
Old 08-22-14, 07:06 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Anyone dislike the sound after doing headers? The sound clips ive heard have made the exhaust sound tinny and raspy.
Old 08-22-14, 09:31 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the way my set up sounds

PPE Headers
Jic Exhaust
High Flow Resonators
Srt Intake

Eventually I'll add a TC and maybe a LSD, no rush though.

Old 08-22-14, 09:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds good Carlos .

Quick Reply: What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?