Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 01:32 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Tune???

Someone please explain to me what the safc or neo actually do. After all the experience ive had with tuning my 430 after I put the turbo on, I just can't seem to grasp what anyone of those controllers actually do. Do they intercept the crank signal or injectors, does it alter the intake air temp. readings, does it suppress knock sensor signals? Once anyone installs higher flowing bolt ons like cold air intake or headers, the computer is automatically going to detect the increase in airflow and adjust accordingly to an extent.
Old 02-09-15, 08:30 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Someone please explain to me what the safc or neo actually do. After all the experience ive had with tuning my 430 after I put the turbo on, I just can't seem to grasp what anyone of those controllers actually do. Do they intercept the crank signal or injectors, does it alter the intake air temp. readings, does it suppress knock sensor signals? Once anyone installs higher flowing bolt ons like cold air intake or headers, the computer is automatically going to detect the increase in airflow and adjust accordingly to an extent.
Hey, I've been here before and had just about every bolt-on on my car back from 5-6yrs ago. The Apexi SAFC or Apexi Neo are simple air/fuel controllers; they only adjust AFRs to allow the car to run rich or lean under certain conditions that you want.

These units do not control O2 or cam/crank sensors (for timing). Since its a simple unit it works very well for almost any car but it is typically only used for NA or very low boost applications (under 4lbs).

I gained 20whp and about 22wtq on back to back dyno sessions when my car was NA. My final dyno was approx 282whp and around 306wtq IIRC on stock 16" wheels. My 19" wheels slowed me down a bit with my 275's but with a better tune and I did a little lower at 275whp. All runs were done on a "heartbreaker" Dynodynamics dyno (like a mustang dyno). For the record, the stock ECU NEVER overrode my AFC tune...it stayed the same since my dyno before.
Old 02-10-15, 01:12 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... I may have to rethink selling my Neo then... just need to find a local tuner.
Old 02-10-15, 01:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Hmmm... I may have to rethink selling my Neo then... just need to find a local tuner.
i would keep it,,,, Rock got some good gains with bolt ons...
Old 02-10-15, 01:57 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I hope you keep it..... Cuz I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself I don't need it!
Old 02-10-15, 02:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by clos430
I hope you keep it..... Cuz I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself I don't need it!
LMAO
Old 02-10-15, 03:32 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Seriously...keep it.

I am regretting selling mine to the extent I contacted the buyer of mine in hopes I could buy it back with my custom Boomslang harness; no dice.

I could have gotten away with 4PSI on my SC kit and literally saved thousands! But I want the 8+ PSI that it's calling for. Since selling I've bought the FIC8 for $500 (if tuned properly I actually heard it was a great unit), new Boomslang harness for $350, various tuning and diagnostics at approx $1200. Nightmare. Trying to square up this Thursday; fingers crossed.
Bottom line, keep the Neo...its a great little unit.
Old 02-10-15, 04:12 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Seriously...keep it. I am regretting selling mine to the extent I contacted the buyer of mine in hopes I could buy it back with my custom Boomslang harness; no dice. I could have gotten away with 4PSI on my SC kit and literally saved thousands! But I want the 8+ PSI that it's calling for. Since selling I've bought the FIC8 for $500 (if tuned properly I actually heard it was a great unit), new Boomslang harness for $350, various tuning and diagnostics at approx $1200. Nightmare. Trying to square up this Thursday; fingers crossed. Bottom line, keep the Neo...its a great little unit.
fingers crossed bro . keep us updated
Old 02-10-15, 12:08 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Tune???

Ok so heres the deal. when I was doing my build, I ran my air fuel ratio gauge with wideband sensor for about three months and found that idle or cruising was at 14.7 afr. when I would go wide open throttle and the computer would go into open loop fuel mapping my afr would hold steady at 12.5. so the question is what afr does the safc or neo put the afr at at wide open throttle or cruising. that is the question.
Old 02-10-15, 04:09 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Ok so heres the deal. when I was doing my build, I ran my air fuel ratio gauge with wideband sensor for about three months and found that idle or cruising was at 14.7 afr. when I would go wide open throttle and the computer would go into open loop fuel mapping my afr would hold steady at 12.5. so the question is what afr does the safc or neo put the afr at at wide open throttle or cruising. that is the question.
12.5 is way too rich for an N/A car even at WOT. IIRC, I pushed the envelope at a little over 13.5afr...which is pretty lean at WOT but it extracts as much power as possible.
Old 02-10-15, 04:25 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Default K&N Intake and L-Tuned Exhaust Dyno Charts

Here are the charts from my first tune at Dyno Comp, with only my K&N intake and L-Tuned Exhaust.

Debating on picking up a Tanabe exhaust before my next tune. Still undecided if it's worth the sound. HP gains won't be that noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails What Next?  Headers, TC, other ideas?-20140819_180951.jpg   What Next?  Headers, TC, other ideas?-20140819_181111.jpg  
Old 02-10-15, 04:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Here are the charts from my first tune at Dyno Comp, with only my K&N intake and L-Tuned Exhaust.

Debating on picking up a Tanabe exhaust before my next tune. Still undecided if it's worth the sound. HP gains won't be that noticeable.
i think you can fabricate a better exhaust much cheaper and probably better sounding... Yea its Tanabe but it almost $1000... Topspeed pro with there y pipe on the V8 is impressive IMO... I have the Y-pipe into BlitzNurSpec.

Last edited by tmf2004; 02-11-15 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 10:51 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i think you fabricate a better exhaust much cheaper and probably better sound... Yea its Tanabe but it almost $1000... Topspeed pro with there y pipe on the V8 is impressive IMO... I have the Y-pipe into BlitzNurSpec.
I agree. I have the same y-pipe but going to a Borla, but about to be switched to an HKS... sounds great with the Borla as-is.
Old 02-12-15, 11:50 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
I have had the Borla's and now the full Tanabe touring.
Between the sound they are very similar.. even though the Tanabe removes the resonators in their design. Looks wise\ tips the Tanabe hands down. I'm sure it flows better too.

On to the point of a custom exhaust.
When i was installing the Tanabe I had the Borla's removed and was just running the factory Y pipe and resonators, no mufflers. MAN did our V8 sound sweet! I drove it like that for a couple of days an everyone asked what i had under the hood as it sounded sooo sweet.. had an amazing idle and growl when you got on it. Maybe this summer I will look into running straight pipes from the resonators back with some nice tips.. it sounded that good!
Old 02-12-15, 12:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by GSJake
I have had the Borla's and now the full Tanabe touring.
Between the sound they are very similar.. even though the Tanabe removes the resonators in their design. Looks wise\ tips the Tanabe hands down. I'm sure it flows better too.

On to the point of a custom exhaust.
When i was installing the Tanabe I had the Borla's removed and was just running the factory Y pipe and resonators, no mufflers. MAN did our V8 sound sweet! I drove it like that for a couple of days an everyone asked what i had under the hood as it sounded sooo sweet.. had an amazing idle and growl when you got on it. Maybe this summer I will look into running straight pipes from the resonators back with some nice tips.. it sounded that good!
this i agree with the tips on the Tanabe exhaust are by the far the best IMO...

Quick Reply: What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?