Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:32 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Damn!!!

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Ended up purchasing OBX headers, B&M intercooler, and LALEX's PI TC. Install and dyno to come in the next couple weeks!
if it wasn't for property taxes coming up I would of been all over lalex1 pi converter. let me know how your obx headers turn out. I'm shooting for the same ones. others have seem to have had decent luck with them.
Old 01-14-15, 12:40 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ended up purchasing OBX headers, B&M intercooler, and LALEX's PI TC. Install and dyno to come in the next couple weeks!
Good going, any plans to mod the valve body too when the tranny is out?

I have been running my OBX headers daily now for a few months and they seem great.
Old 01-15-15, 07:18 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
if it wasn't for property taxes coming up I would of been all over lalex1 pi converter. let me know how your obx headers turn out. I'm shooting for the same ones. others have seem to have had decent luck with them.
I couldn't really find any negative reviews on them, mostly just people bagging on them because they are a knock offs of the PPEs. For $350, they're worth a shot. I am going to have my fab guy check out the welds before the install and spot weld if needed to be sure they don't crack.

Originally Posted by angus
Good going, any plans to mod the valve body too when the tranny is out?

I have been running my OBX headers daily now for a few months and they seem great.
That's encouraging! How was fitment? I have read that some people have had issues.

As far as valve body goes, I haven't really thought about it. I'm not planning on going FI. So in theory, it's not necessary, but still would be fun. I'm kind of spent as far as throw around money goes at this point. It's a good feeling knowing that valve body upgrade and LSD are really my last two bolt ons, but I wish I could just afford them now! Lol
Old 01-24-15, 09:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

any update?
Old 01-25-15, 03:30 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
any update?
No update yet. All of the parts came in last week. They are sitting in my living room begging me to install them.

I am trying to figure out a time this week to get everything installed. Everyone is getting ready for Vegas Drift out here so my fab guy (James with 18fab) has been booked for time. I am hoping to have my B&M Tranny Cooler and torque converter installed this week and headers installed no later than next week.
Old 01-25-15, 06:09 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I couldn't really find any negative reviews on them, mostly just people bagging on them because they are a knock offs of the PPEs. For $350, they're worth a shot. I am going to have my fab guy check out the welds before the install and spot weld if needed to be sure they don't crack.

That's encouraging! How was fitment? I have read that some people have had issues.

As far as valve body goes, I haven't really thought about it. I'm not planning on going FI. So in theory, it's not necessary, but still would be fun. I'm kind of spent as far as throw around money goes at this point. It's a good feeling knowing that valve body upgrade and LSD are really my last two bolt ons, but I wish I could just afford them now! Lol
The OBX header fitment is actually fine, you do need to remove the tiny heat shield on the steering u-joint but that's it.

I feel that OBX has come a long way and regardless of the "bad press" from years ago - they are still in business so that should say something at least.

If nothing else I would crank up the selector on the valve body I suppose.
Old 01-26-15, 11:12 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Crankin up the valve body

I can tell you from experience that dropping the trans pan and adjusting the factory setting on the driv. side of the valve body works great. Its set at the lowest setting from the factory and it has 3 settings to choose from. I turned it up to the highest setting and the shifts seems much crisper. No need to worry about trans damage either. the firmer the shifts the better. its been a year now since I did it and no problems.
Old 01-26-15, 12:04 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I am hoping to have my B&M Tranny Cooler and torque converter installed this week and headers installed no later than next week.
What stall RPM did you get?
Old 01-26-15, 12:29 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

The vb upgrade is not only for people going to\running FI. \
I have all the power adders on my 3UZ sans FI and I enjoy it EVERY shift!~
Old 01-26-15, 04:13 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by badblackgs
I can tell you from experience that dropping the trans pan and adjusting the factory setting on the driv. side of the valve body works great. Its set at the lowest setting from the factory and it has 3 settings to choose from. I turned it up to the highest setting and the shifts seems much crisper. No need to worry about trans damage either. the firmer the shifts the better. its been a year now since I did it and no problems.
That's awesome. I didn't even know that was a thing! I will have my guy look at it!

Originally Posted by GSJake
What stall RPM did you get?
2800, Jake.
Old 02-01-15, 03:34 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard negative about OBX headers on any car so I'd be interested to see how you like them. I would love to think they have improved.
Old 02-02-15, 05:17 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zoolander
I've always heard negative about OBX headers on any car so I'd be interested to see how you like them. I would love to think they have improved.
I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and it seems like they have improved. Most of the negative things I found we're people hating on them because they are knock offs of the PPE headers. People are concerned about them cracking so I am having my fab guy check them out. He will reinforce any welds he thinks may be problematic and hopefully I won't have any problems!

Update: I am penciled with 18fab for this coming Saturday to have the OBX headers, PI torque converter and B&M transmission cooler installed. Assuming install goes as planned, I will be headed to DynoComp next week to get the car tuned again.
Old 02-08-15, 05:45 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Install was finished this morning! Took forever but no real hangups. Only issue is the headers rub the heat shield on the steering shaft. Issue should be fixed tomorrow night.

The car drives AWESOME. It is scary easy to get the 17" stock rims to spin with the torque converter installed I am hoping I can get into Dyno Comp sometime this week to get the car tuned again. Awesome mods for sure, should see even better performance after the tune!
Old 02-09-15, 01:36 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can, try to get a before tune run and after tune run. Just to compare the numbers, wondering how much diffirence a tune makes.
Old 02-09-15, 08:43 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I am hoping I can get into Dyno Comp sometime this week to get the car tuned again. Awesome mods for sure, should see even better performance after the tune!
Congrats.. I know how you feel when you first get in and start to enjoy those mods.

Originally Posted by clos430
If you can, try to get a before tune run and after tune run. Just to compare the numbers, wondering how much diffirence a tune makes.
YES! Please do BigG.
I have yet to run my Neo, we have similar mods and want to compare when I do.

Quick Reply: What Next? Headers, TC, other ideas?