Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My '99 V300 wannabe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 05:29 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '99 V300 wannabe

Hey CL,

Just wanted to share one of my many JZ cars. I'm not going to do much to this car and would like to keep it OEM-ish. Maybe touch up the paint/body a little and get some IS-F wheels/spacers/slight drop. What do y'all think so far?

Last edited by SZA; 08-12-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 05:32 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

Some more info:

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 2jz-gte VVT-i Twin Turbo Engine w/matching A340-e 4 Speed Automatic transmission (shifts like butter)

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT matching Driveshaft

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT matching Differential

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT OEM Intercooler System w/piping (extremely rare & hard to find)

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT Air Intake System w/OEM Cowl & HKS Air Filter (extremely rare & hard to find)

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT Engine Harness with matching MAF/MAP & all other sensors

-1999 Toyota Aristo V300 TT Fuel Pump Assembly w/Fuel Level Sender/Sensor (fuel gauge is not accurate without this)

-Fully Functioning Air Condition/Heater

-Fully Functioning Power Steering w/Brand New OEM Toyota Pump

-Fully Functioning Rebuilt Sequential Twin Turbo System (not JDM Ceramic; USDM Steel Wheels CT-12B turbos)

-Genuine OEM Toyota; 93-98 Supra TT (USDM) Throttle Cable

-Genuine OEM Toyota; JZS161 Turbo Gasket Set

-Genuine OEM Toyota; JZS161 Engine Gasket Kit including Head Gasket, Front/Rear Main Seals, Valve Stem Seals, etc

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Pistons w/Piston Rings (160-165 PSI across the board; machine work done @ C Advanced Precision Machining in Houston)

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Denso PK20TR11 Spark Plugs

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Automatic Transmission Fluid Type IV ($$$)

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Coil Pack Connectors w/New Lead Wires

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Radiator with Hoses, Cap & Thermostat

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Timing Belt & Water Pump

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Upper/Lower Ball Joints all around

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Upper/Lower Control Arms; Front/Rear

-Genuine OEM Toyota; Differential Fluid

-Custom Turbo-Back 3 inch exhaust

-New 1200 CCA Battery

-Auto-leveling OEM HID Headlights; Philips 3800k Pure White (factory originals, never replaced; now rare and discontinued)

-Philips Xenon 3000k (yellow) HID Fog Lights 55 watts each

-Professionally Tinted at Executive Motorsports; 5% Double Limo in the back & 20% in the front more info:
Old 08-12-14, 02:26 PM
GS4hunnit
Driver

Very clean. Time to address suspension, brakes, wheels and tires?
Old 08-13-14, 05:27 PM
SZA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS4hunnit
Very clean. Time to address suspension, brakes, wheels and tires?
You got it right on the money. I'm working on replacing all the bushings as we speak.
Old 09-09-14, 05:51 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car runs very well. How does it compare to a sc300 swap? Does it seem just as quick on stock twins? How much boost are you running with the 440cc injectors?

That engine bay looks super clean.
Old 09-09-14, 07:21 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Why does the air scoop look so photoshopped in the 4th pic?
Old 09-09-14, 08:45 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Zeeshaun and Big Bertha?
Old 09-16-14, 02:15 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusdog
Your car runs very well. How does it compare to a sc300 swap? Does it seem just as quick on stock twins? How much boost are you running with the 440cc injectors?

That engine bay looks super clean.
Thanks.

My SC was definitely faster. I had all kinds of mods and maxed out my stocks twins on that car. Had great suspension and sticky tires. Made a little over 400. I don't think the comparison would be fair.

The GS is definitely more enjoyable though. It's so big, comfortable and smooth that I forget that this car is GTE. I can only say that it feels like driving a Supra with a lazy boy as a driver seat.

I'm on the stock sequential setup and run stock boost. I daily it and have a lot of fun driving it the way it sits. It is fast but it doesn't feel the same as driving a SC or Supra. On those cars, you feel like you are in a jet fighters cockpit and the feel is different on the road.

But still, the GS managed to take out an Audi S4 with ease just playing around for comparison. The GS does feel heavier and could use some coilovers and performance tires/wider wheels. Regardless, the potential for power is defiantly there. Just need to make more money.
Originally Posted by RoMiLex
Why does the air scoop look so photoshopped in the 4th pic?
It's not photoshopped. I just keep my **** clean.

Last edited by SZA; 09-16-14 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 04:29 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Video not working...
Old 09-16-14, 03:22 PM
SZA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Video not working...
Old 09-21-14, 12:05 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

[QUOTE=SZA;8713664]Thanks.

My SC was definitely faster. I had all kinds of mods and maxed out my stocks twins on that car. Had great suspension and sticky tires. Made a little over 400. I don't think the comparison would be fair.

The GS is definitely more enjoyable though. It's so big, comfortable and smooth that I forget that this car is GTE. I can only say that it feels like driving a Supra with a lazy boy as a driver seat.

I'm on the stock sequential setup and run stock boost. I daily it and have a lot of fun driving it the way it sits. It is fast but it doesn't feel the same as driving a SC or Supra. On those cars, you feel like you are in a jet fighters cockpit and the feel is different on the road.

But still, the GS managed to take out an Audi S4 with ease just playing around for comparison. The GS does feel heavier and could use some coilovers and performance tires/wider wheels. Regardless, the potential for power is defiantly there. Just need to make more money.

----–--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like it moves really good. What is stock boost for that setup? Could that aristo pump and stock injectors handle 18psi, or would it need bigger injectors or a bigger pump? They definitely are comfy cruisers.

I saw that you went with the steel blade USDM turbos, is there a reason why you didn't use the stock aristo turbos? Or did you just not want to deal with the ****ty ceramic turbo blades?

Does it feel laggy at all from a stop or is it similar to a TT Supra? Does it allow you to tach it up to 2200 RPMs or does it spin in place from a stop when brake boosted? If you have any videos from a stop to 60, could you post them up on your youtube channel? Thank you

I will be doing my swap soon and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on boost levels and performance. Your swap looks like it was done very well without taking any shortcuts. Thanks for posting all of the parts you replaced with your swap, it will be very helpful with my swap.
Old 09-22-14, 02:59 AM
SZA
Pit Crew

It seems like it moves really good. What is stock boost for that setup? Could that aristo pump and stock injectors handle 18psi, or would it need bigger injectors or a bigger pump? They definitely are comfy cruisers.
Thanks. Stock boost was at 11 psi. But I did a few things recently to gain a little more performance with my stock setup. To answer your question though, the stock 440 CC injectors and Aristo pump have no issues at 18 PSI. I can confirm this.

-I converted to TTC (True Twin Conversion). Car sounds more beefy and doesnt spool too bad with the auto. Full boost around 3500 RPMs. It's not really faster but "feels" faster.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/andy.htm

-I performed the bleeder T mod which is an old trick to raise boost safely and for free that many have forgotten. Boost gauge reads 19 psi steady with a 1/4 inch vacuum T.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/bleedert/bleedert.htm

-12 volt mod on Fuel Pump ECU. Simple and does what I need it to do.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/12v_mod/12v_mod.htm

-(This one is kind of controversial.) I lost my HKS FCD so I tried the Free Fuel Cut Bypass since the VVT-i GTE runs with a MAP and MAF sensors. It works great! Idles great and no fuel cut! On the VVT-i GTE, the MAF sensor controls almost all of the air fuel mixture. The MAP sensors on the same motor only triggers fuel cut and slight AFR variances when elevation changes. Living in Flat Land, USA, I have no issues. And this will do me fine until I go single/standalone/Tremec T56 Magnum.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/ffcd/freefcd.htm
I saw that you went with the steel blade USDM turbos, is there a reason why you didn't use the stock aristo turbos? Or did you just not want to deal with the ****ty ceramic turbo blades?
Well when I first had the swap done, I did have the ceramic turbos. The guy who did my swap back then did a great job but the JDM motor ended up with low compression. I got the car back and completely re-did everything on my own. Had the block built with new OEM pistons/rings/bearings. I used a new OEM VVT-i GTE gasket kit from North Shore Toyota in New Zealand. So at that point, I decided it was smart to use USDM turbos too. I had plenty of JDM turbos blow on me but never a USDM set. Basically, on the second rebuild, I wanted to do it right and make the car as reliable as possible so that I can have a good base to build on.
Does it feel laggy at all from a stop or is it similar to a TT Supra? Does it allow you to tach it up to 2200 RPMs or does it spin in place from a stop when brake boosted? If you have any videos from a stop to 60, could you post them up on your youtube channel? Thank you
No it doesn't feel laggy. Even in TTC with an auto. As far as power goes, yes it is similar to a Supra but the feel on the road is completely different between the two. I don't really track 0-60 or anything. I drive it work or maybe the gym, lol. But yeah, I'll get some more videos up soon once I save some dinero for a GoPro.
I will be doing my swap soon and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on boost levels and performance. Your swap looks like it was done very well without taking any shortcuts. Thanks for posting all of the parts you replaced with your swap, it will be very helpful with my swap.
Cool I'm glad I could help. This swap isn't really that hard at all. It is almost completely plug and play. If you are mechanically inclined and have all the parts you need ready to go, I don't see why you couldn't knock this swap out in less than a week. Just keep a 6 pack of booze handy, some bandages and you're golden.

Last edited by SZA; 09-22-14 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 01:27 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Thanks for the links! I tried most of those modifications when I had my Supra TT and my SC300 TT. I noticed that in TTC mode that the performance from a stop was a good amount slower. I even gteched it in sequential and in TCC mode, and the TTC mode was almost 1 seconds slower to 60. I always liked how the sequential turbo system felt on these cars.

Did you by any chance check that the car was not running lean with a wideband? Only reason I asked, is because with my SC300 with US DM turbos, and supra TT pump, it would run lean with 18 psi boost. This was with 440cc injectors and the 12v fuel pump mod. I ended up having to install 550cc injectors for it to run on higher boost.

Do you know if there's anywhere to purchase a downpipe if you were to stay with the stock ceramic twins? I know the upper downpipe where it bolts to the turbos has a different flange.
Old 10-04-14, 11:07 PM
SZA
Pit Crew

Thanks for the links! I tried most of those modifications when I had my Supra TT and my SC300 TT. I noticed that in TTC mode that the performance from a stop was a good amount slower. I even gteched it in sequential and in TCC mode, and the TTC mode was almost 1 seconds slower to 60. I always liked how the sequential turbo system felt on these cars.

Did you by any chance check that the car was not running lean with a wideband? Only reason I asked, is because with my SC300 with US DM turbos, and supra TT pump, it would run lean with 18 psi boost. This was with 440cc injectors and the 12v fuel pump mod. I ended up having to install 550cc injectors for it to run on higher boost.

Do you know if there's anywhere to purchase a downpipe if you were to stay with the stock ceramic twins? I know the upper downpipe where it bolts to the turbos has a different flange.
Yeah, I hooked up my AEM AFR gauge from my Supra and there was a lean spot right around 4500 rpm. But I only noticed that when the car was still in sequential mode. Once I converted to TTC, the VVT-i GTE ECU seems to have compensated. I also no longer have any lean spots. Actually, it's a little rich and I could make a lot more power with a bit of tuning.

Yeah, from a dead stop, it is a bit slower. But being a second slower doesn't really bother me. Besides, I am planning out a single turbo kit in the near future. Hell, I even want to go 6 speed.
Old 10-05-14, 11:34 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Sounds good. I think that lean spot when both turbos come online with thensequential system is common in the Supras. That is why most people go the same route as you and put it in TTC. I remember when i use to have my Supra there was a company that had an electronic switching system that would allow the car to swittch between sequential and TTC with a flip of a switch. It is amazing how many tricks and simple mods that are available for this engine setup.

Quick Reply: My '99 V300 wannabe