Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Flywheel and shifter recommendations - RA62

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 03:15 AM
diss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel and shifter recommendations - RA62

Hi there,

I'm about to go ***** deep into a 2gr-fse/ra62 conversion into my gt86, and after some advice on the flywheel and clutch options, as well as the shifter. Figured I'd come here and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Yes, I have searched, alot. But it is'nt all that clear what is about.

Flywheel/clutch. I see that assualttech had some fidanza flywheels and spec clutches made into packages. I've always only ever bought Toda flywheels and exedy clutches. Have always avoided alloy flywheels. Is there a crmo option from anyone else?
I'd probably go for the spec 2+ clutch, to suit the 2gr torque. Could probably get away with less, but I will be drifting the car. Not competively, just street car drift days at the track.

I did own a 6mt is250 a few years ago when they first came out. I didn't think much of the gearbox to be honest, started to get notchy after a few thousand kms. Although I was abusing it. But I've been assured by my parts guy that this was more due to me having one of the earlier boxes, and that the new ones are better. Another thing I wasn't impressed with was the OEM throw of the box, so am wanting to shorten it up. I see that theres an FSport adapter that seems to be availble, but also that others have also used a new shifter with the FSport adapter. But I can't find any of these short shifters. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-14, 08:35 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 6MT and i looked into clutches and flywheels. You seem to know the ones out there. I'm not sure which is best or which material options there are. Do look up "clutch chatter" on here. I can comment on the F Sport short shifter though. I too was unimpressed with the throw on the IS compared to my Civic with a short shifter. It was a huge difference but still not as smooth as my Civic. I would recommend getting one. The Lexus dealer sells it if you have one there. If not try Sewell Lexus on here. Sign up with your CL user name and you get a discount. You can also try ebay cause I know theres a Lexus dealer in Miama FL that sells on there with decent prices. Good luck with your swap.