Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo IS250 Research

Old 07-27-14, 03:50 PM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo IS250 Research

Hey guys, just hopped on here to see if there have been any notable builds as far as the IS goes. I'll be working full time next year as an engineer and would like to start a new project.

My initial searching didn't yield much, so it looks like my experience with Lexus will be very similar to Saturn in the sense that I will not have the luxury of finding aftermarket components for this thing.

Any links/reading material would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-14, 04:49 PM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

Things I'd like to figure out is if anyone has a jobber sheet or knows of someone who has had a set of pistons made for these things. Also a source for forged rods would be nice.

Of course the direct injection should be an interesting obstacle to get over. Id rather not have to screw around with the PCM even though Id have access to the software at work. Time to see if Megasquirt has been used on DI cars.

Last edited by GMReject; 07-27-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 06:44 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

^You'll find out soon that there is ZERO tuning on these ECUs, and minimal benefits from piggyback units. Either you convert to a standalone or just boost the stock config to a "safe" 6-7psi. Those numbers of course vary from what method of boost AND size/type of compressor/turbo.

No, to my knowledge there are no pistons or rods available "off-the-shelf" for these motors. However, with money, you can get anyplace to custom make you anything.

Are your thoughts to do a remote turbo setup or make something work under the hood or perhaps post-header?
Old 07-27-14, 06:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

trade for a 350 or ISF
Old 07-27-14, 07:13 PM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

The goal is to end up with something unique. And fast. And also fast.

I would abandon the factory management and DI system as there isnt any possible way to attempt to carry that over w/o a headache that Id rather avoid. I would hope that the previous generation 2.5 with MPFI will bolt it. If that is the case, then Id just throw an MS3 on it and begin building the turbo manifolds.

I havent seen the amount of space there is to work with, but is the area around the headers rather constraining?
Old 07-27-14, 08:26 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ Do the famous 2jz swap. You will be FAST
Old 07-27-14, 10:06 PM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

Not gonna play into all the 2jz nonsense. If I was going to swap in an inline 6, it would be the LL8.
Old 07-28-14, 02:43 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GMReject
The goal is to end up with something unique. And fast. And also fast.

I would abandon the factory management and DI system as there isnt any possible way to attempt to carry that over w/o a headache that Id rather avoid. I would hope that the previous generation 2.5 with MPFI will bolt it. If that is the case, then Id just throw an MS3 on it and begin building the turbo manifolds.

I havent seen the amount of space there is to work with, but is the area around the headers rather constraining?
So the plan is:
custom pistons
custom rods
custom exhaust/turbo manifold
no DI (plan on leaving the injectors in the head?)
likely custom intake manifold
standalone engine management

Calling the area around the headers "rather constraining" is an understatement.

As long as we are dreaming I suggest sourcing an engine from here:
http://www.lynxae.co.uk/ForSale-1.htm

Or better yet since you want something fast and unique, don't start with a 2IS. Find a smaller, lighter, RWD car that you like and source an engine from here: www.h1v8.com
Old 07-28-14, 02:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get an manual SC300 and install the 2JZ GTE. I think you'll get tired with this. Good luck.
Old 07-28-14, 03:48 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want unique, by all means go for it all and be unique. Hell I boosted my 250 for nothing more than the small boost in hp and to be unique for car shows...

Not sure how much you've turned over but just know that removing the stock ecu for a standalone would lose a lot of your cars features... Gauges, climate control, power steering, etc, without extensive knowledge and time to solve the wiring mess between various ecu's. I desperately researched to try to get a 2jz build into my car earlier this year and after taking to the companies who have worked on the swaps (the two stateside, one in a 2is, one in a 3is and Kazama in japan) I was forced to retreat until I want my IS to be essentially a shell with a ton of power...
Old 07-28-14, 06:14 PM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by GMReject
Around the headers, yes; but if you do some relocating or removing of items from the front area of the engine bay, I'm sure you could fit twins under the hood with creative piping. Removing the windshield sprayer tank would alone would be enough room for a T3 55 trim. The other would fit fine in the stock air box location. Others have said that twins could possibly fit post-header with more creative piping.

I've also thought about doing a single turbo "kit", like this bolt-on Nissan kit :