Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus F sport Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 06:18 PM
KevnGarvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus F sport Intake

So I emailed a dealership that sells on Ebay and they said that there is no sold separately lower intake box. I was looking for the lower intake box (F-Sport), you know the one with TWO square holes in it. The dealership said Lexus only sells the upper cover of the box, filter, and tube. The dealership said that you use whatever lower box you already have. I am curious then which model Lexus 3IS F sport has the extra square hole in the front of the box. I check my box and it is the one with only one square hole that leads to the opening in the front of the hood.

If it doesnt matter about that extra hole then what is the whole point of even changing to the F sport filter and tube?
Old 09-29-17, 12:28 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

3IS only upper airbox lid.

What you've seen with the hole in lower box is 2IS specific.

2IS got lower box and kept stock top lit, total opposite of 3IS setup

Last edited by specONE; 09-29-17 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:59 AM
KevnGarvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
3IS only upper airbox lid.

What you've seen with the hole in lower box is 2IS specific.

2IS got lower box and kept stock top lit, total opposite of 3IS setup

https://youtu.be/yK0BI7UgCj8
thanks! I was very curious why I only see the top lid for 3IS. What are your thoughts on which one is louder (3Is f sport intake or oem with sound generator)? Also is there any gain from the f sport intake on 3Is?
Old 09-29-17, 09:58 AM
specONE
Racer

3IS intake is not loud at all, in fact its more quieter than the stock 3IS intake =
the reason for this is the sound generator on the stock plastic pipe is gone on the Fsport metal pipe.

the 2IS is most likely louder due to the hole in the lower box.

I have considered cutting a hole in my stock box to gain the noise but have not in fear of losing performance.

Aftermarket intakes like Takeda etc supposedly makes the car slower in response but create a lot of noise. You are robbed of performance with these in exchange of alot of low grunt noise, This is what tuners typical are stating they are seeing on the dyno. I will just relay this information and you take it how you wish.

Last edited by specONE; 10-16-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 09:23 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by KevnGarvey
So I emailed a dealership that sells on Ebay and they said that there is no sold separately lower intake box. I was looking for the lower intake box (F-Sport), you know the one with TWO square holes in it. The dealership said Lexus only sells the upper cover of the box, filter, and tube. The dealership said that you use whatever lower box you already have. I am curious then which model Lexus 3IS F sport has the extra square hole in the front of the box. I check my box and it is the one with only one square hole that leads to the opening in the front of the hood.

If it doesnt matter about that extra hole then what is the whole point of even changing to the F sport filter and tube?
I went with HPS intake pipe because it kept the sound generator for the FSport cars. I used the stock box, and just cut out a hole in the lower portion that faces forward. I just bought the FSport drop-in filter, and it's kinda like a poor mans FSport Intake.
Old 10-04-17, 02:25 PM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
I went with HPS intake pipe because it kept the sound generator for the FSport cars. I used the stock box, and just cut out a hole in the lower portion that faces forward. I just bought the FSport drop-in filter, and it's kinda like a poor mans FSport Intake.
Thats exactly what I did. But I used a k&n filter because I got it cheap. Works perfectly. Sounds awesome paired with my apexi mid pipes and Stillen axle back.
Old 10-04-17, 03:22 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by TJR14IS350
Thats exactly what I did. But I used a k&n filter because I got it cheap. Works perfectly. Sounds awesome paired with my apexi mid pipes and Stillen axle back.
Be careful, make sure the K&N filter is the dry type and not oiled ones.
The oil can mess up MAF sensors.
Old 10-04-17, 04:28 PM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Be careful, make sure the K&N filter is the dry type and not oiled ones.
The oil can mess up MAF sensors.
lol its oiled but it's been installed on the car for for 8 months no problem haha.
Old 10-07-17, 10:13 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevnGarvey

buy the 2is air box system and use the lower f sport air box. There's a lot of used air box out there. The 2 gen f sport air box will be better in sound and performance. I have the 3is f sport box and it did t do anything at all maybe 2-3 hp
Old 10-07-17, 10:53 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LexoDAV
buy the 2is air box system and use the lower f sport air box. There's a lot of used air box out there. The 2 gen f sport air box will be better in sound and performance. I have the 3is f sport box and it did t do anything at all maybe 2-3 hp

I consider that before and spec one save me some money cause i cancelled it right away. The 2nd gen box will not fit the 3rd. So it's not an option.
Old 11-29-17, 11:12 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you like your setup? Feel the difference? Post a pix! I just purchased the HPS intake! I will probably do the same! I have the Fsport filter as well.

Old 12-05-17, 10:17 AM
BRiCCFLAiR
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't seem to find an F Sport intake for my 2015 IS250. Are the 2014 p# compatible?
Old 12-05-17, 10:25 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by BRiCCFLAiR
I can't seem to find an F Sport intake for my 2015 IS250. Are the 2014 p# compatible?
Yes the same part numbers apply for 2014-2017+PTR03-53141
http://ebay.to/2jfJn3Z

Last edited by specONE; 12-05-17 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BRiCCFLAiR (12-05-17)
Old 12-06-17, 11:36 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
How do you like your setup? Feel the difference? Post a pix! I just purchased the HPS intake! I will probably do the same! I have the Fsport filter as well.

I don't really feel too much of a difference. The HP you might gain is so small, that you won't feel it. That being said, I have no regrets doing it.

Last edited by evltwn; 12-06-17 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 10:00 AM
BRiCCFLAiR
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really feel too much of a difference. The HP you might gain is so small, that you won't feel it. That being said, I have no regrets doing it.

Wow, the F Sport blue engine cover is a nice touch!

Quick Reply: Lexus F sport Intake