Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RR Racing ECU tune for 2016 IS350 AWD worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 03:09 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RR Racing ECU tune for 2016 IS350 AWD worth it?

I’ve been thinking long on this one but someone said that an ECU tune could potentially cause problems to a NA engine in contrast to a 2.0L turbo.

I have an Ark GRiP catback installed right now, power difference is minuscule but when pushed in sport plus, this IS350 flies like a bat out of hell. Only gripe is the underwhelming acceleration, there has been suggestions of installing a sprint booster.

Now realistically, if I add an ECU tune as well as an intake to complement my catback exhaust, will I see some power and acceleration improvements? Asking for advice. I know an ECU tune on an IS300 can match that of an IS350’s.
Old 08-16-20, 08:11 PM
ownnij
Rookie

just to clarify.. a reliability of a motor has many variables in it and adding a tune can both bring the best or the worst out. I'm no expert in tuning but i get the idea that tuners basically adjust timing and air fuel ratios to produce the engine's performance. so what i'm trying to say is an ECU tune shouldn't cause any potential problems for both of those motors but if it's a bad tune then it could cause issues like leaning out and knock then boom!

holy crap man i looked up the ARK GRIP exhaust and man that thing is expensive. i think you're in a position where you want more power but unfortunately, i think you have the wrong car if you want to go "fast". based on RR Racing's website it says it'll give you 25hp if you have a exhaust and about 44hp if you have headers/exhaust. honestly... if you spent the money for that exhaust then you might as well get the tune because you're not seeing the full potential of your car without it. i mean you already spent all that money for the exhaust so what's 550.00 bucks? imagine spending like almost 4k for 44hp though LOL i added up the cost of the tune, headers and exhaust (excluding labor/taxes) and it almost came up to be like $4,000.. like i said.. the wrong car if you want to go fast hahaha
Old 08-16-20, 11:15 PM
silbercar
Driver

Originally Posted by ownnij
just to clarify.. a reliability of a motor has many variables in it and adding a tune can both bring the best or the worst out. I'm no expert in tuning but i get the idea that tuners basically adjust timing and air fuel ratios to produce the engine's performance. so what i'm trying to say is an ECU tune shouldn't cause any potential problems for both of those motors but if it's a bad tune then it could cause issues like leaning out and knock then boom!

holy crap man i looked up the ARK GRIP exhaust and man that thing is expensive. i think you're in a position where you want more power but unfortunately, i think you have the wrong car if you want to go "fast". based on RR Racing's website it says it'll give you 25hp if you have a exhaust and about 44hp if you have headers/exhaust. honestly... if you spent the money for that exhaust then you might as well get the tune because you're not seeing the full potential of your car without it. i mean you already spent all that money for the exhaust so what's 550.00 bucks? imagine spending like almost 4k for 44hp though LOL i added up the cost of the tune, headers and exhaust (excluding labor/taxes) and it almost came up to be like $4,000.. like i said.. the wrong car if you want to go fast hahaha
Interesting, yeah that’s what’s giving me the buyer-beware vibe. I’m skeptical about it but I am also interested in seeing if it’s really worth it. But I am definitely getting an intake, it’s the next step after the catback exhaust. After talking this through with a friend who knows a lot more about modifications than I do, I imagine more work needs to be done first before I can consider the ECU tune (exhaust manifolds, headers, high flow cats, and throttle body). Although it’s always nice to see other people’s thoughts on club Lexus.

My aim is to simply add a bit more power (306hp -> 340hp or at least close to it would be nice) and improve the 0-60mph time but I never meant that I wanted fast as in on the level of an F car. I do want to improve the sluggishness on the acceleration part otherwise I am plenty happy with the IS350’s overtaking power on the highway. I’m just looking for more sauce.
Old 08-17-20, 06:18 AM
ownnij
Rookie

Supercharger.. it has your name all over it.
Old 08-17-20, 06:57 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

A tune is worth it, especially if you are looking for more power. I have an older RWD IS350 and a tune with a higher rev limit (7400rpm) which made a noticeable difference. I have probably put 40k on my car with no issues from being tuned. That said, I don't think you will end up putting down over 300hp NA with your awd IS350.
Old 08-17-20, 07:12 AM
silbercar
Driver

Originally Posted by ownnij
Supercharger.. it has your name all over it.
Oh I know about that lol. Wish I have that kind of disposable money 😂
Old 08-19-20, 01:15 PM
Rc760
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same question for my car ('16 350 RWD) since it seems like RR Racing pops up most frequently for Lexus tunes. But while I was reading a bunch of reviews and testimonials it seems like the only cars that really get a noticeable power increase are the IS200t and IS300 models because they tune it to try and match the IS350. But when they tuned the 350 apparently the numbers weren't as impressive (at least relative to the price).

Sadly the only thing I found to really boost the power is the supercharger I can't afford haha
The following users liked this post:
silbercar (08-20-20)
Old 08-23-20, 01:23 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I just went from a Stock 350 tune to the RR racing tune (AWD). Pretty surprised at the difference for the apparently not that great of a power gain on paper. Feels like there is more power there as soon as the gas pedal is touched, and the extra straight line acceleration with the increased rev limit really dose help.
The following users liked this post:
RRRacing (09-17-20)
Old 08-23-20, 04:06 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
I just went from a Stock 350 tune to the RR racing tune (AWD). Pretty surprised at the difference for the apparently not that great of a power gain on paper. Feels like there is more power there as soon as the gas pedal is touched, and the extra straight line acceleration with the increased rev limit really dose help.
Im so curious what that tune does in real life 0-60, quarter mile and trap speed. I know it’s only 10whp peak but those numbers would make it a lot easier to gauge if it’s worth it.
Old 09-06-20, 06:48 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Im so curious what that tune does in real life 0-60, quarter mile and trap speed. I know it’s only 10whp peak but those numbers would make it a lot easier to gauge if it’s worth it.
I'll end up getting around to another timing run one night. Pretty happy with the difference with day to day driving.
Old 09-06-20, 08:10 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I'll end up getting around to another timing run one night. Pretty happy with the difference with day to day driving.
What r u timing with? I tried a few apps they are generally ****, I’m almost tempted to buy the VBox (I think that’s what it’s called) off amazon, time a few runs then return it.
Old 09-06-20, 02:32 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
What r u timing with? I tried a few apps they are generally ****, I’m almost tempted to buy the VBox (I think that’s what it’s called) off amazon, time a few runs then return it.
I've been trying to justify buying a per-owned draggy for a while...I'll convince myself I need it eventually...lol. I went out on a timed a month or so ago with my AWD IS300 with a stock 350 tune timing with a veepeak OBD dongle and TP/OBD Fusion. I'll report back when I get a chance to time with the full RR Racing tune.
Old 09-09-20, 12:46 PM
Atav25
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a fsport 350 awd, I had a custom exhaust done around 20k got the fsport intake not too long after and hated the sluggish feeling as week compared to my last car which was an f32 bimmer. I took my car in to rr racing in May to get ppe headers, their carbon fiber intake tube and their tune installed. The difference is VERY noticeable, definitely worth the money especially if youre going to supercharge the car which is honestly the only realistic way of getting more power out of this car. Their tune almost feels like it brings the car into 2020, if you know what I mean. Doesn't necessarily feel like a completely new experience, but definitely doesn't feel as outdated of a drivetrain as the car does stock. Next up for me is a pair Brembos or Wildwoods havent decided and performance spark plugs.
Old 09-14-20, 12:26 PM
silbercar
Driver

I’m seriously on the fence about the ECU tune from RR Racing. I have the aFe Takeda CAI installed together with Ark GRiP and I know the tune will be beneficial. Added with RSR downs and RCF bushings, my IS350 AWD feels sharper and puts the power down even better. It feels stooooopid fun to drive this beast!!

Question now is will this affect reliability? Or is it going to better overall with the current new set up?
Old 09-14-20, 01:43 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by silbercar
I’m seriously on the fence about the ECU tune from RR Racing. I have the aFe Takeda CAI installed together with Ark GRiP and I know the tune will be beneficial. Added with RSR downs and RCF bushings, my IS350 AWD feels sharper and puts the power down even better. It feels stooooopid fun to drive this beast!!

Question now is will this affect reliability? Or is it going to better overall with the current new set up?
I think RR tune says intake, exhaust & tune is like 25whp over stock... that’s around 280whp or around 330 crank horsepower...not bad just a lot of $ per hp.
reliability should be fine, never heard of 7200 rpm redline causing problems.

Quick Reply: RR Racing ECU tune for 2016 IS350 AWD worth it?