Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonator delete and M2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 11:00 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Resonator delete and M2 Exhaust

Hey guys,

I know there's already some info and Youtube videos on M2 exhaust, but I am interested in some updated opinions.

I recently put on the M2 catback exhaust but I am finding it is a bit quiet when I want it loud and drones a bit when I want it quiet. For example, when I am stepping on it, I don't find it much louder or much of a change from stock. But when I am cruising on the highway it starts to get annoying.

The rest of my exhaust is completely stock and I have an Injen intake.

For those of you have deleted the resonator (with M2, stock or other aftermarket exhausts), how did you like it? Was it worth cutting up your stock exhaust? Did you regret it, and if so, why? Did the drone increase, decrease, change?

I know the best option would be to buy a Megan or Invidia mid-pipe, but I have already been spending too much on the car lately and would prefer other parts first (lip kit or rear sway bar).

From what I can tell in videos on Youtube, deleting the resonator matches well with the M2 catback and makes it sound much nicer.. but it's always hard to tell with videos.
Old 06-18-14, 11:35 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my resonator deleted on stock exhaust and I must admit, it was well worth it. It adds a growl when accelerating and has no drone inside the cabin whatsoever.

It was only a $30 modification and I can always have it welded back on. I'd say go for it
Old 06-18-14, 11:38 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shop did you go to remove the resonator for $30? How long does it take? Do you have pictures of the set up?
Old 06-18-14, 11:48 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevinwang
I've got my resonator deleted on stock exhaust and I must admit, it was well worth it. It adds a growl when accelerating and has no drone inside the cabin whatsoever.

It was only a $30 modification and I can always have it welded back on. I'd say go for it
Interesting... This is what I am looking to hear.

On a scale of 1-10, how much more noticeable is the noise when cruising on the highway? (1 being not at all, 10 being ridiculously loud/annoying).

And a similar question, on a scale of 1-10 how much louder is it when accelerating hard?

Have you noticed any downsides? Loss of low end torque?
Old 06-18-14, 12:08 PM
Kd0t
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
What shop did you go to remove the resonator for $30? How long does it take? Do you have pictures of the set up?
I went to Valley Muffler in Covina. I think it was actually 25$ but I tipped the guy.

It took about 30 minutes to take it off and put in a pipe. No pictures unfortunately.

Last edited by Kd0t; 06-18-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 12:18 PM
Kd0t
Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Interesting... This is what I am looking to hear.

On a scale of 1-10, how much more noticeable is the noise when cruising on the highway? (1 being not at all, 10 being ridiculously loud/annoying).

And a similar question, on a scale of 1-10 how much louder is it when accelerating hard?

Have you noticed any downsides? Loss of low end torque?
There is no cabin noise/drone when cruising on the highway at all. On the outside, I wouldn't say its loud/annoying like the fart can Civics we have in SoCal but it's definitely noticeable when pushed. If you're going WOT on the highway you will be heard. But when you're driving conservatively, it's the same as stock.

When I first removed the resonator, I went by myself so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't hear it any difference inside the cabin. However, I had my girl drive it while I stood outside and I was thoroughly impressed. I would definitely say it's an 7 when accelerating hard.

You will not notice the loss of low end torque.

I referenced to this clip when making my decision:

Last edited by Kd0t; 06-18-14 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 12:26 PM
Kd0t
Driver

If you're against removing the resonator completely, you could also get a Magnaflow resonator.

I've heard good things about it.
Old 06-18-14, 09:19 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Yay! Thats my video I posted. Lol. I would stay away from deleting the resonator if you are going to use the m2 exhaust. It will DRONE like crazy. Right now I'm on borla mufflers and it sounds AMAZING but it DRONES so bad. I'm still debating whether to get aftermarket resonators or not. I do have a video clip on borla mufflers if anyone wants to hear how it sounds.
Old 06-18-14, 11:51 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you like it raspy, then yeah do it. I definitely noticed a huge difference in the amount of drone, but that's probably because my greddy exhaust sounded like stock so I wasn't used to the big change. I have a buncha clips on my build thread below of my exhaust. I have a vid right after I deleted it (before the break in period). I have a video after 2 weeks of it breaking into and I have one of with the invidia midpipe that I just got a week ago. A lot of people say it makes it high pitched so I don't know if you like that.
Old 06-19-14, 10:37 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm.. sort of mixed reviews.

Anyone that actually has the M2 catback and resonator delete have any opinions? Did the resonator delete make the M2 catback better or worse?

From the videos I have seen, it seems to improve the sound, but if it makes the drone worse, not sure if it is worth it.
Old 06-19-14, 12:02 PM
RobLambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here do you stay? Maybe we can do a side by side conparison in person? I have res deletes on my M2, which was installed with the red off so idk how it would have sounded with it on....

Personally, I like the sound in sport shift mode, you can manipulate the sound, in auto I want to blow my Brains out lol... I miss my quiet IS
Old 06-19-14, 12:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it's quiet and it will get louder with the resonator deleted but the drone will also get louder.
Old 06-19-14, 12:45 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RobLambo
Here do you stay? Maybe we can do a side by side conparison in person? I have res deletes on my M2, which was installed with the red off so idk how it would have sounded with it on....

Personally, I like the sound in sport shift mode, you can manipulate the sound, in auto I want to blow my Brains out lol... I miss my quiet IS
Haha well, there's already a video on Youtube that compares the two, but it's still hard to tell. And it doesn't really demonstrate the cabin highway noise.

So, in your opinion, would you prefer the stock exhaust, or m2 catback + resonator delete? If you could go back to stock easily, would you?
Old 06-19-14, 01:24 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking about m2 (already have) + reasonator delete but i hate drone. Does that combo sound similar to F Sport exhaust which I super super like lol.
Old 06-19-14, 01:55 PM
RobLambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Haha well, there's already a video on Youtube that compares the two, but it's still hard to tell. And it doesn't really demonstrate the cabin highway noise.

So, in your opinion, would you prefer the stock exhaust, or m2 catback + resonator delete? If you could go back to stock easily, would you?

Ahh it's so hard to tell, the are moments where I really like it and others where I don't... I would need to hear in person with the resonator on...

I dislike the sound under 3k Rpms ATM

Quick Reply: Resonator delete and M2 Exhaust