Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sound Generator

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 08:56 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sound Generator

Hey guys, I come to you with some questions.

1) Does anyone have a picture of how the "sound generator" in our intakes looks?

2) Would I be able to swap the sound generator from my stock pipe into a Greddy or Injen pipe?

3) Would adding the sound generator give me more noise or just reduce air flow?

Thanks guys, much appreciated
Old 06-12-14, 02:24 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound generator is just a plastic cylinder, with an airtight tube connecting it to the intake, and a sealed flexible diaphragm (like a speaker cone) on the other end. It's completely sealed and does not reduce air flow into the engine, as air does not pass through it. Intake air (vacuum) pulses cause the sealed diaphragm to vibrate, creating sound waves that you can hear on the other side of the diaphragm.

You can see the noise generator, elbow hose and clamps. You cannot add the sound generator to a Greddy or Injen pipe unless there was a way to plumb it up - which there isn't. If the sound generator could be plumbed in, it would add the noise that it produces to the overall sound. I'm not sure how the Greddy or Injen intakes sound on their own, so I don't know if it would offer a substantial difference or not.
Old 06-12-14, 02:59 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Completely pointless to add to a greddy/injen intake. They are already very loud and you won't benefit in any way, and only distrupt the airflow, if anything. The stock intake is virtually silent without the extra tube, same as the Joe Z intake, but with the latter actually improving the airflow and hp. I'm currently running my stock intake with a slightl mod to the lower airbox and it sounds great, similar to greddy, but without the raspy tin can sound. And once I'd added a new exhaust, the intake sound is now irrelevant.
Old 06-12-14, 04:06 PM
hovik92
Driver

Thanks a lot fellas. Appreciate the help
Old 07-01-14, 12:02 PM
hovik92
Driver

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Completely pointless to add to a greddy/injen intake. They are already very loud and you won't benefit in any way, and only distrupt the airflow, if anything. The stock intake is virtually silent without the extra tube, same as the Joe Z intake, but with the latter actually improving the airflow and hp. I'm currently running my stock intake with a slightl mod to the lower airbox and it sounds great, similar to greddy, but without the raspy tin can sound. And once I'd added a new exhaust, the intake sound is now irrelevant.
Update: I installed the Greddy intake and it actually makes a very big noise difference and although I can not feel a power gain through a "butt dyno", I am feeling a much quicker throttle response. I would test it out if I were you, you might like it! Good luck man
Old 07-07-14, 08:11 PM
sage149
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the F-Sport 250/350's have this "Sound Generator" attached is the pending official 3IS F-Sport Intake (Fall 2014) going to have a similar sound without it? I have had open filter short ram intakes on other cars and I know those are louder in general. Without the sound generator, a closed metal pipe, and a similar filter box (probably smoother inside and an extra hole) it is appearing like this F-Sport Intake is going to make the car quieter than the Stock F-Sport configuration. Hopefully it will provide some performance gain to compesate for the loss of sound and cost....not holding my breath though.
Old 10-03-15, 06:13 PM
maurerc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing the sound generator

Will removing the sound generator and plugging the hole quiet the car? Or stuffing the generator full of fibreglass batting? Is there any reason not to do either?
Old 10-04-15, 06:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by maurerc
Will removing the sound generator and plugging the hole quiet the car? Or stuffing the generator full of fibreglass batting? Is there any reason not to do either?
Yes you can cap the sound generator and the point of intake..

Yes it will get quieter...

No reason unless you want quieter sound.

Joe Z
Old 10-22-15, 05:56 PM
PKSkull77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do our cars have a sound generator? It baffles my mind that a car company would invest any effort into making a noise that didn't add some performance or safety benefit. Now I know that fake sound generation, and/or sound enhancement is all the rage lately, but this particular implementation seems particularly pathetic.