Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Sound Generator

Old 06-12-14, 09:56 AM   #1
hovik92
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

hovik92
Default Sound Generator

Hey guys, I come to you with some questions.

1) Does anyone have a picture of how the "sound generator" in our intakes looks?

2) Would I be able to swap the sound generator from my stock pipe into a Greddy or Injen pipe?

3) Would adding the sound generator give me more noise or just reduce air flow?

Thanks guys, much appreciated
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 06-12-14, 03:24 PM   #2
hades281
Driver

The sound generator is just a plastic cylinder, with an airtight tube connecting it to the intake, and a sealed flexible diaphragm (like a speaker cone) on the other end. It's completely sealed and does not reduce air flow into the engine, as air does not pass through it. Intake air (vacuum) pulses cause the sealed diaphragm to vibrate, creating sound waves that you can hear on the other side of the diaphragm.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the noise generator, elbow hose and clamps. You cannot add the sound generator to a Greddy or Injen pipe unless there was a way to plumb it up - which there isn't. If the sound generator could be plumbed in, it would add the noise that it produces to the overall sound. I'm not sure how the Greddy or Injen intakes sound on their own, so I don't know if it would offer a substantial difference or not.
hades281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 03:59 PM   #3
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Completely pointless to add to a greddy/injen intake. They are already very loud and you won't benefit in any way, and only distrupt the airflow, if anything. The stock intake is virtually silent without the extra tube, same as the Joe Z intake, but with the latter actually improving the airflow and hp. I'm currently running my stock intake with a slightl mod to the lower airbox and it sounds great, similar to greddy, but without the raspy tin can sound. And once I'd added a new exhaust, the intake sound is now irrelevant.
TheShaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:06 PM   #4
hovik92
Driver

hovik92

Thanks a lot fellas. Appreciate the help
Old 07-01-14, 01:02 PM   #5
hovik92
Driver

hovik92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
Completely pointless to add to a greddy/injen intake. They are already very loud and you won't benefit in any way, and only distrupt the airflow, if anything. The stock intake is virtually silent without the extra tube, same as the Joe Z intake, but with the latter actually improving the airflow and hp. I'm currently running my stock intake with a slightl mod to the lower airbox and it sounds great, similar to greddy, but without the raspy tin can sound. And once I'd added a new exhaust, the intake sound is now irrelevant.
Update: I installed the Greddy intake and it actually makes a very big noise difference and although I can not feel a power gain through a "butt dyno", I am feeling a much quicker throttle response. I would test it out if I were you, you might like it! Good luck man
Old 07-07-14, 09:11 PM   #6
sage149
Driver School Candidate

If the F-Sport 250/350's have this "Sound Generator" attached is the pending official 3IS F-Sport Intake (Fall 2014) going to have a similar sound without it? I have had open filter short ram intakes on other cars and I know those are louder in general. Without the sound generator, a closed metal pipe, and a similar filter box (probably smoother inside and an extra hole) it is appearing like this F-Sport Intake is going to make the car quieter than the Stock F-Sport configuration. Hopefully it will provide some performance gain to compesate for the loss of sound and cost....not holding my breath though.
sage149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 09:11 PM