Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new is350 owner. Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 08:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default new is350 owner. Noob question

Hey all, new here

So i just purchased my 2006 IS350 a few days ago and have so far loved every minute of it. (Im coming from owning a constantly broken down 2003 330i) So far everything has been great with the car but however, since this past weekend ive noticed the car has a tendency to idle at 500 Rpm while in "D". Like when im at a stoplight or a drive thru.

Ive never owned any car that has done that and it has me worried. I have searched this topic and it seems its normal for this car to do that (oddly). But ive also noticed that whenever im in D, if i turn on the high beams the Rpm will drop down about another 100 rpm or so. But thats only if i turn them on when the standard lights arnt already on.

Occasionally the car shakes a bit too so now im worried that if i have the car in D for too long or turn on the high beams for whatever reason the car will stall

I left the BMW for a Lexus cuz i thought that the Is350 had great reliability and low maintenance costs. However upon this problem surfacing i searched everywhere on the internet for answers only to find that there are recalls for the valve springs and people having their cars stall out or have an engine rebuilt. Ouch.....

So if anyone could please chime in or shed some light on what this might be id greatly appreciate it. I DO NOT want another bmw on my hands lol. Thanks

Also forgot to mention, i have 80k miles on it and have oil changed and everything

Last edited by Tro209; 05-07-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 08:23 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats normal. The ecu will lean the fuel at idle. Especially on a HOT humid day. You may need a new battery but from what you noted, it seems normal.
Old 05-07-14, 08:37 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Phew.... thats a relief

On a side note. Could this possibly mean i need to replace spark plugs???

I have no idea when they were last done
Old 05-07-14, 10:14 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Our spark plugs are rated at 100k miles but most change theirs out every 60k miles. How many miles on your IS?
Old 05-08-14, 07:20 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I have 80,000 miles on the odometer
Old 05-08-14, 07:36 AM
idoke1
Instructor

I would probably replace it just in case.
Old 05-08-14, 08:47 AM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other guess could be alternator.
Old 05-08-14, 09:29 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend the following services. It is better to overkill maintenance than missing it when you first bought a used car. I did the same on my IS350 2006 as well and just went to autocross with it few days ago. It has been running pretty good for months now. Smooth like new car.

1. Oil and filter change.
2. Engine filter change.
3. AC filter change, I recommend the special one that eliminate odor smell from the AC.
4. Rear differential oil change. This will make the shifting so much smoother without any jerking motion from gear to gear. Acceleration seems smoother as well.
5. Brake fluid flush.
6. Coolant flush. You gonna need this anyways at 100k so why not just do it now. Remember to use the Toyota super long life OEM fluid.
7. Alignment if the tires are still good.
8. Inspect brake pads and rotors.
9. Test battery and replace it if neccessary.
10. Replace spark plugs. This should have been done at every 60k or so. This improves MPG big times and also idle will be a lot smoother.
11. Clean body throttle to make idling smoother and to prevent any shaking.
12. Check springs/shocks for leak and if so replace them. I upgraded the full suspension with F Sport springs/shocks on my car.
13. Call Lexus dealer and give them your VIN number to see if there is any pending recalls. It should be free.
14. Wash, clay, polish, wax the whole car.

I get most if not all major services right out the batch and now I will be just doing regular oil change and so for couple years before another 30k or 60k with the major services. I bought the IS350 at 85k miles.
Old 05-08-14, 10:49 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jasonr
The other guess could be alternator.
Ya i checked the service records that came with car on the carfax report and it stated that it had the alternator replaced about about 5k miles ago. So im positive its not related to that
Old 05-08-14, 10:54 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I would recommend the following services. It is better to overkill maintenance than missing it when you first bought a used car. I did the same on my IS350 2006 as well and just went to autocross with it few days ago. It has been running pretty good for months now. Smooth like new car.

1. Oil and filter change.
2. Engine filter change.
3. AC filter change, I recommend the special one that eliminate odor smell from the AC.
4. Rear differential oil change. This will make the shifting so much smoother without any jerking motion from gear to gear. Acceleration seems smoother as well.
5. Brake fluid flush.
6. Coolant flush. You gonna need this anyways at 100k so why not just do it now. Remember to use the Toyota super long life OEM fluid.
7. Alignment if the tires are still good.
8. Inspect brake pads and rotors.
9. Test battery and replace it if neccessary.
10. Replace spark plugs. This should have been done at every 60k or so. This improves MPG big times and also idle will be a lot smoother.
11. Clean body throttle to make idling smoother and to prevent any shaking.
12. Check springs/shocks for leak and if so replace them. I upgraded the full suspension with F Sport springs/shocks on my car.
13. Call Lexus dealer and give them your VIN number to see if there is any pending recalls. It should be free.
14. Wash, clay, polish, wax the whole car.

I get most if not all major services right out the batch and now I will be just doing regular oil change and so for couple years before another 30k or 60k with the major services. I bought the IS350 at 85k miles.
Thanks

Im going to make this as my personal check list now lol

Most of this has been done already I only need to replace spark plugs, Clean throttle body, Check springs, rear diff fluid change, alignment and I think thats about it hopefully

I wanna get this done as soon as possible so I can start giving my car my own personal touch Then once everything is in order ill be posting some pics on the forum. lol
Old 05-08-14, 10:56 AM
is350x909
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all normal but as stated above tune up wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-08-14, 11:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your IS350. I'm sure you will love this car and be proud owning it for yearssssss to come.

Are you in Southern CA too? If so, sign up for the Lexus of West Minister meet for the next weekend. Then you will see many members on here and their cars in person.

Originally Posted by Tro209
Thanks

Im going to make this as my personal check list now lol

Most of this has been done already I only need to replace spark plugs, Clean throttle body, Check springs, rear diff fluid change, alignment and I think thats about it hopefully

I wanna get this done as soon as possible so I can start giving my car my own personal touch Then once everything is in order ill be posting some pics on the forum. lol
Old 05-08-14, 12:46 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Have your charging systems checked; could be a bad battery, which can then lead to a bad alternator. The rpm should be ~600 @ HOT idle in D, no matter the electrical load.
Old 05-08-14, 03:02 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Congrats on your IS350. I'm sure you will love this car and be proud owning it for yearssssss to come.

Are you in Southern CA too? If so, sign up for the Lexus of West Minister meet for the next weekend. Then you will see many members on here and their cars in person.
Great too hear! I Already love this car lol.

Naw im up in Northern California. Are there any meets you know of around here? Im in the Modesto area
Old 05-08-14, 08:14 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
Have your charging systems checked; could be a bad battery, which can then lead to a bad alternator. The rpm should be ~600 @ HOT idle in D, no matter the electrical load.
Thats what i thought. Because high beams shouldn't put any load on the engine.

Quick Reply: new is350 owner. Noob question