Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my 98 GS400 on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 08:25 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 98 GS400 on the dyno

So yesterday (April 26th) I attended my friend's carmeet/dyno day event here in DFW. I was reluctant to do it, but thankfully the car came out fine.

Car's mileage: 257,xxx miles
Mods: Rear muffler delete

Dyno: Mustang
Weather Corrected Results: Yes

My car got 3 pulls, the best of which had the following results, very consistent, if a little confusing perhaps:

239 hp
237 lb-ft of torque

Due to the automatic trans downshifting from 3rd into 2nd every time we went WOT, the lowest point we got the car to go WOT in 3rd was at over 4000 RPM, so the reading was probably missing some key (higher peak?) torque data.

Now here's the weird bit. ImportTuner magazine online has an article where in 2002 they dyno'd a stock '98 GS400 that put down 237 hp and 254 ft-lb torque ---- on a Dynojet! They mentioned the car was dyno'd from 3750 RPM due to the same auto downshifting issue, although mine took 4000 RPM to achieve the same.

I'm guessing the rear muffler delete may have attributed to the higher hp and lower tq numbers? Or perhaps starting at 4000-4200 RPM onward may have missed the peak torque range by a bit? I need to google the factory RPM range for peak torque to clear that up...

Anyway, was an interesting day! My brother's 99 Trans Am stock with a muffler and intake lid mods put down 293 hp / 310 tq! Not what we expected either, in a good way.

Old 04-27-14, 12:04 PM
GRANYZ400
Driver

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting info! I highly doubt a muffler delete would result in this kind of loss of TQ without showing a gain a bit higher up (peak HP/TQ). To me, the variability you mentioned in numbers posted elsewhere is related to the things you talked about (auto tranny related).

You sparked my curiousity so I searched for the Import Tuner article and found it if anyone is interested:
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...0_power_pages/

What's super cool I think is that you have 257K miles and are still putting down respectable numbers. These engines are awesome!
Old 04-27-14, 12:11 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRANYZ400
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting info! I highly doubt a muffler delete would result in this kind of loss of TQ without showing a gain a bit higher up (peak HP/TQ). To me, the variability you mentioned in numbers posted elsewhere is related to the things you talked about (auto tranny related).

You sparked my curiousity so I searched for the Import Tuner article and found it if anyone is interested:
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...0_power_pages/

What's super cool I think is that you have 257K miles and are still putting down respectable numbers. These engines are awesome!
Yup that's the one! And yes, I also surprised myself yet again when I used my Scangauge II to do a quick 0-60 sprint on the way home...

5.8 seconds on the friggin' dot!

And no, I kept the PWR mode off.
Old 04-28-14, 06:39 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

not bad... and 5.8 is pretty good as well since factory is 5.7
Old 04-28-14, 03:46 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually 235 - 245whp is the norm for a rather stock 2GS. IIRC my car did 244whp a while ago with just an intake and rear section exhaust. Then it did 264whp when I added the Apexi Neo and finally 282whp with the addition of 3rd batch S&S headers.

Good run though!!! Keep the mods coming!
Old 04-29-14, 02:29 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Hold up, the car is rated at 300 hp from factory, but it's ACTUALLY only putting out 239? Am I understanding this correctly??
Old 04-29-14, 02:29 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Hold up, the car is rated at 300 hp from factory, but it's ACTUALLY only putting out 239? Am I understanding this correctly?? Why say that it's 300 hp if that's a lie?
Old 04-29-14, 02:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Hold up, the car is rated at 300 hp from factory, but it's ACTUALLY only putting out 239? Am I understanding this correctly??
yes. 15% drive train loss. maybe more . which brings it to 250 ish .
Old 04-29-14, 03:10 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

If you had it in "M" Mode. It won't downshift. Only GS400's have the "M" mode which is tiptronic. The GS300's in '01-'05 have it too.
Old 04-29-14, 03:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Our cars are rated more like at a 20% drivetrain loss.
Old 04-29-14, 04:09 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
If you had it in "M" Mode. It won't downshift. Only GS400's have the "M" mode which is tiptronic. The GS300's in '01-'05 have it too.
I have driven my GS400 in M mode alot, and believe it or not, it will downshift regardless of which gear number shows up on the dash.

M mode is more of a "don't shift higher than X gear" than "only stay in gear X." That is why, when you shift up from 2->3 too early, but are pressing all the way down on the gas pedal, the car won't immediately shift into 3rd, it may continue to peak out a bit more RPM before going into 3rd. For that matter, you can come to a full stop, and keep the gear # 4, for example, and take off again. The car will go from 1.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Our cars are rated more like at a 20% drivetrain loss.
I've read 21% But yes, take 300hp and times it by .80 (which would be 100% - 20%) and you get 240, but most cars I've seen or read fall just a tad below given their age and maintenance, so IF the 20% figure is accurate, my car is running exceptionally well in terms of horsepower. Unfortunately, it would seem the dyno read the torque much lower than I would think, given the factory AT THE CRANK specs are 300 hp and 310tq (or so).

Hold up, the car is rated at 300 hp from factory, but it's ACTUALLY only putting out 239? Am I understanding this correctly?? Why say that it's 300 hp if that's a lie?
I'm not sure why this is a surprise to you, but I'm assuming you've never seen another car dyno sheet before (?) (I was surprised when I first found out how it works!). Every major car maker in the world will typically give you the engine horsepower/torque at the CRANK, and even then there are many, many different things that can affect what the "true" power rating can be.

In 2005 (or '06) the SAE got together and changed how horsepower is noted or given for an engine, to make it more 'accurate'. So, many car models starting in the next model year (06 or 07) displayed lower HP ratings even though they were otherwise the same car/engine. For example, some manufacturers gave specs using premium gas and others didn't. Toyota and Lexus had to change the figures for a few models (the Camry comes to mind, it went from 200 to 190 something hp). The rating is also affected by what accessories are attached (or not, such as power steering, etc.) for the engine dyno tests that manufacturers use to rate their engines.

As such, our 20-21% drive train loss is actually pretty terrible, but considering most manual FWD still lose about 10-12%, and auto FWD lose 15%, RWD AND AUTO at 20% isn't all that bad. And if you think that sucks, my '91 Land Cruiser AWD had something around 30% drive train loss with all those axles, wheels and gears, transfer case (they were rated at 155 hp but put down 89-90 awhp!)

Last edited by Sampak; 04-29-14 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 04:20 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Good info, Great post..
Old 04-30-14, 01:37 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Sampak
I have driven my GS400 in M mode alot, and believe it or not, it will downshift regardless of which gear number shows up on the dash.

M mode is more of a "don't shift higher than X gear" than "only stay in gear X." That is why, when you shift up from 2->3 too early, but are pressing all the way down on the gas pedal, the car won't immediately shift into 3rd, it may continue to peak out a bit more RPM before going into 3rd. For that matter, you can come to a full stop, and keep the gear # 4, for example, and take off again. The car will go from 1.

I've read 21% But yes, take 300hp and times it by .80 (which would be 100% - 20%) and you get 240, but most cars I've seen or read fall just a tad below given their age and maintenance, so IF the 20% figure is accurate, my car is running exceptionally well in terms of horsepower. Unfortunately, it would seem the dyno read the torque much lower than I would think, given the factory AT THE CRANK specs are 300 hp and 310tq (or so).

I'm not sure why this is a surprise to you, but I'm assuming you've never seen another car dyno sheet before (?) (I was surprised when I first found out how it works!). Every major car maker in the world will typically give you the engine horsepower/torque at the CRANK, and even then there are many, many different things that can affect what the "true" power rating can be.

In 2005 (or '06) the SAE got together and changed how horsepower is noted or given for an engine, to make it more 'accurate'. So, many car models starting in the next model year (06 or 07) displayed lower HP ratings even though they were otherwise the same car/engine. For example, some manufacturers gave specs using premium gas and others didn't. Toyota and Lexus had to change the figures for a few models (the Camry comes to mind, it went from 200 to 190 something hp). The rating is also affected by what accessories are attached (or not, such as power steering, etc.) for the engine dyno tests that manufacturers use to rate their engines.

As such, our 20-21% drive train loss is actually pretty terrible, but considering most manual FWD still lose about 10-12%, and auto FWD lose 15%, RWD AND AUTO at 20% isn't all that bad. And if you think that sucks, my '91 Land Cruiser AWD had something around 30% drive train loss with all those axles, wheels and gears, transfer case (they were rated at 155 hp but put down 89-90 awhp!)
Great post. New information to me. So my already weak 300 is only pushing about 200hp at the wheel. Awful.
Old 04-30-14, 07:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Great post. New information to me. So my already weak 300 is only pushing about 200hp at the wheel. Awful.
Actually 225hp @ crank should equal more like 175whp.
Old 05-01-14, 08:22 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Actually 235 - 245whp is the norm for a rather stock 2GS. IIRC my car did 244whp a while ago with just an intake and rear section exhaust. Then it did 264whp when I added the Apexi Neo and finally 282whp with the addition of 3rd batch S&S headers.

Good run though!!! Keep the mods coming!
Hey Rock, curious since you mentioned the Apexi Neo -- I've read of users with this device over the years on car modding and never quite understood if it 'works' or how it works with respect to N/A tuning. I'm a complete newb as far as advanced tuning and only know the basic theories on exhaust/intake...

How 'difficult' is it vs. cost benefit for example if I were to use it on my car as it sits (Muffler delete). Or is intake at least recommended to get anything out of it? Can it be used to 'fine tune' a stock-ish car? Any dangers (other than screwing up far too lean of course). I've seen folks get decent 5-10% increase in WHP so I'm just curious what I can do without blowing up the engine. I'm thinking of actually getting a custom mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust or at least some similarly effective cheap aftermarket bits (y-pipe, axlebacks) and get rid of the old triple resonators and 'custom' muffler delete hodge podge my car currently came with, in the future.

Also, headers -- seems like a good bit of $$$$ but I take it it's got the biggest kick in the can if that is all I did? Any emission issues?

Last edited by Sampak; 05-01-14 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Got my 98 GS400 on the dyno