Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review of darkstar38 Ultimate Performance True CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 05:51 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Review of darkstar38 Ultimate Performance True CAI

Hey CL

I just wanted to put out a review on darkstar38's Ultimate Performace CAI.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ir-intake.html

Above is the initial install that he actually performed so you can see the pics that he has is the same exact one as mine.

Install time was roughly 2-3 hours because I took my time making sure I didn't miss a step or make a mistake. I don't have any engine mods on the is250 but immediately after install I could feel the quicker response of the engine and performance on the wheels. Unlike Darkstar38 who has the is350 I didn't have my tires squeel but definitely a nice performance upgrade that kept cool temps at all times. The great thing for this intake is that the cold air comes directly from the brake duct so you are not having to worry about engine heat at all getting cold air all the time.

For those who are concerned with the water coming where I am in CA and it barely rains and I have not had to go through any heavy puddles since I first started driving. For those outside of CA you can buy an air filter mesh cover that slips on to the filter so that you do not intake any water into your engine. And it is easily accesible in the passenger side brake duct.

As for the sound, it is amazing makes my car sound deep like a v8. Even better if you have the 350 like darkstar38.

MPG was a slight increase, although I can't tell exactly since I like to hear that throaty sound now. But based on my internal gauge on conservative daily drives from and to work and home I average about 30-34mpg. I did a test for 3 weeks now since I got my intake from darkstar38, same routine 5 days a week. Again this is an average because climate and traffic play a big role but I was still able to get that much more on mpg. Now the 1st week I was getting 24-28 mpgs because I was loving the sound of the engine.

Definitely worth the upgrade I dont have to worry about heat intake and again rain not a big problem theres a solution for it. This new upgrade makes me want to get an exhaust even more!

DARKSTAR38 Props to you, Its people like you that keep this car have possibilities that are endless rather than just going for the norm.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-31-14 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 12:07 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how it looked like after the install. So far to date it has really been a very good upgrade for what it is worth. I don't have to worry about heat intake like the f-sport intake and I get more direct air from the brake duct than the mixed hot air from the radiator and engine bay. Since it is a K&N air filter maintenance and filter costs are reduced to a minimum.

Review of darkstar38 Ultimate Performance True CAI-2014-04-08-16.52.37.jpg
Old 05-03-14, 10:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Nicely done cold air. It must growl now haha