Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Really Loud M2!!! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 04:32 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Really Loud M2!!! Why?

I just got my M2 Performance Exhaust put on and it is insanely loud... After reading reviews and all i thought there would be no drone and it would be pretty quiet, just a deeper sound. Anywhoo.. installed it, and it is very loud, and there is a ton of drone between 1700 and 3400 RPM. I do have a resonator delete, and an x-pipe, so maybe thats why its so loud.

My question is... is there any of you that had the m2 with a resonator, and then got the resonator taken out? Did it have drone before and/or after the resonator delete? and did your guys' M2 mufflers just look like a perforated pipe going through the muffler to the tips.
Old 04-11-14, 04:52 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is not M2 lol. The loudness is from your resonator delete and the mid-pipe (assuming you x-pipe you mean mid pipe). You will get raspy sound too.
Old 04-11-14, 05:16 PM
Mjh609
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
I just got my M2 Performance Exhaust put on and it is insanely loud... After reading reviews and all i thought there would be no drone and it would be pretty quiet, just a deeper sound. Anywhoo.. installed it, and it is very loud, and there is a ton of drone between 1700 and 3400 RPM. I do have a resonator delete, and an x-pipe, so maybe thats why its so loud.

My question is... is there any of you that had the m2 with a resonator, and then got the resonator taken out? Did it have drone before and/or after the resonator delete? and did your guys' M2 mufflers just look like a perforated pipe going through the muffler to the tips.
Your drone is caused by the invidia midpipe you most likely have.
Old 04-12-14, 01:42 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The problem is not M2 lol. The loudness is from your resonator delete and the mid-pipe (assuming you x-pipe you mean mid pipe). You will get raspy sound too.
Your drone is caused by the invidia midpipe you most likely have.
I dont have an Invidia Mid pipe. Let me explain... Stock setup: CATs up at the headers, Cats in the middle, then y's into the resonator, then y's back out to the mufflers.
My setup: Cats up at the headers, cats in the middle, xpipe into the mufflers, i shall post a pic.
I want to keep it true dual, so would i have to buy two resonators?

(Im not familiar with the term midpipe.. i assumed it was a pipe that took out the two cats... or is it the pipe that takes out the resonator?)

So this was my setup after the resonator delte, only thing now is the mufflers are M2's instead of the stock ones. Same dual piping same x-pipe location etc..
Old 04-12-14, 02:03 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^I should take some pics of my custom true duals from behind my car. You can actually see the piping from underneath the rear bumper and it does look nice.
Old 04-13-14, 10:16 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

what type of resonators would you guys reccomend?
Old 04-14-14, 12:52 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

its because of your resonator delete. the m2 muffler will cause drone as well in lower rpms especially under load or going up hill in low rpms.
Old 04-20-14, 09:36 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Bump. Best aftermarket resonators guys?
Old 04-21-14, 08:50 AM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
Bump. Best aftermarket resonators guys?
Amazon.com: Magnaflow 10445 Stainless Steel 2.25" Round Muffler: Automotive Amazon.com: Magnaflow 10445 Stainless Steel 2.25" Round Muffler: Automotive
This should be an improvement from stock and should give you much less drone. Hope this helps!
Old 07-12-14, 01:52 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Bringing this back up!

So I went the cheap way and had my muffler guy throw on two cheapy torpedo resonators... Still have a **** ton of rasp, and basically the same drone. Im guessing this is because i got what i paid for... So now i'm looking to do it the right way.. Gonna purchase two of the Magnaflow resonators Flattire posted above i think. (unless anyone has other input)

Also, should I buy two and keep it true dual?? or should I go back to factory set up and only buy one Magnaflow?
Old 07-12-14, 07:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your objective might I ask? Why are you adamant on keeping it true dual? Most exhaust systems give 5-10 HP. You're spending money Again and you still don't have what you truly want. Do you plan on racing the car?
Old 07-12-14, 07:38 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
What's your objective might I ask? Why are you adamant on keeping it true dual? Most exhaust systems give 5-10 HP. You're spending money Again and you still don't have what you truly want. Do you plan on racing the car?
I want as much performance out of it as i can get, but i want it to sound nice. If there's not really a noticeable difference between true dual and a Y-Pipe then i guess i can just do that.. I was under the impression I got more gains from the true dual.
Old 07-12-14, 08:04 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^True dual will net more HP. I had a custom 2.25 inch y piped exhaust and it was a improvement over the stock one. I decided to do a true dual x pipe and THAT made the most difference. I felt instant torque as soon as I installed it on but I also changed the piping size to 2.5 inch.
Old 07-12-14, 10:12 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^True dual will net more HP. I had a custom 2.25 inch y piped exhaust and it was a improvement over the stock one. I decided to do a true dual x pipe and THAT made the most difference. I felt instant torque as soon as I installed it on but I also changed the piping size to 2.5 inch.
Did you dyno it before and after, or do you just "feel it?" I just don't want the guy to spend more money if he doesn't have to.
Old 07-13-14, 09:26 AM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

^^ Me either haha. the resonators are ~$70 each so i could spend like 90 for one or get two for close to 200 with shipping... and then labor for two. And if its really not that much more significant than its not worth it.

Quick Reply: Really Loud M2!!! Why?