Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GReddy 10 Row Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 04:33 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy 10 Row Oil Cooler

Basically I got a really good deal on a Greddy 10 Row Cooler (NS1010G 12004300) and a Greddy 12002801 Oil Filter Sandwich Adaptor Plate M20x1.5 and 3/4x16 Universal. Free from a buddy that thought he wanted it but didn't. He wants to know if I want it. Should I take it?

My question is if this would work on our cars? I know its possible because this guy has done it.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...ning_menu.html

Any info (besides the "why" comments) would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old 04-09-14, 10:23 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you found a good place where the cooler can get some airflow then yes, that will fit. My guess is front and center in front of the radiator woud be fine. So my suggestion is if you want an oil cooler, take it. The price is right!

However I don't understand how that sandwich adaptor is going to work. It looks like a standard type sandwich adaptor meant to go between a traditional can filter and the engine, which a 2IS does not have. Am I missing something?

The oil filter housing on the oil pan on a 2IS has two ports that are plugged, I haven't confirmed this but my guess is the smaller port is a pressurized feed, and the bigger port would work as a return for a cooler. I would suggest you also plumb in an oil thermostat, oil likes to be hot, but not too hot.

Let us know how it turns out, I'd like an oil cooler someday.
Old 04-09-14, 11:33 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

I got the ISF front bumper conversion coming that has some bigger openings in the front for coolness. Maybe I will put it in front and people will think its an intercooler for my supercharger! haha

I agree on the sandwich adapter, this is what I was most curious about. My car is in the shop getting other work done or I would take a look. Any ideas on a thermostat?
Old 04-09-14, 11:56 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Google, Jegs, Summit, ebay etc. for a "remote oil thermostat". Plan for the space and plumbing to hook it up.
Old 04-09-14, 12:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Figure out which of these two ports are the feed and return and get SS lines plumped into the oil cooler :

Via the pictures online of the upper oil pan, I'm still not able to confirm which goes where or does what. I was trying to help a fellow member with this discussion on figuring out a good place to tap into the oiling systems for his turbos. Didn't really get anywhere.
Old 04-09-14, 01:00 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Unless the factory service manual has something on this the best way to find out would be to put a pressure gauge on the ports. Start with the small one, my money says if one of these is pressurized that is the one.
Old 04-09-14, 01:05 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Is there a port for a temp sensor or should I get a thermostat with one?

Leaning towards this one but no sensor ports.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1074/overview/
Old 04-10-14, 07:44 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

I wouldn't limit your search to something that has a temp. probe port. Many temp. gauges just need a 1/8" NPT port to plumb in a sensor. There is likely somewhere on the block you could plumb in a sensor, if not another fitting in the oil cooler lines. Something like this:

This thread makes me want a factory service manual!
Old 04-10-14, 02:55 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
Figure out which of these two ports are the feed and return and get SS lines plumped into the oil cooler :

Via the pictures online of the upper oil pan, I'm still not able to confirm which goes where or does what. I was trying to help a fellow member with this discussion on figuring out a good place to tap into the oiling systems for his turbos. Didn't really get anywhere.
With your help I was able to find out that the oil pressure line is the bottom bung, the top bung can be used as a return line or you can use the crank case vent hole on the top of the valve cover to dump the oil back into the motor after running it through the oil cooler.
Old 04-10-14, 07:27 PM
Gville350

^Did you find out what the thread pitch was? I'd like to install an oil pressure gauge on the engine; cheap insurance. You going to run an AN fitting into that port on your next turbo setup?

Also, any idea if the potential oil return line is pre or post oil filter? Hoping pre-oil filter and the oil gauge tap point is post filter.
Old 04-11-14, 09:05 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

You'll need a 3/4 x 16 bung to replace the allen keyed bolt that is screwed into the smaller hole. I never tapped into the bigger bung (top one) as dumped the oil through the crank case vent hole on the top of the valve cover. However... for your guys' setups, I would either use the top bung or possibly tapping into the oil pan with a oil return line fitting like this one:
Old 04-11-14, 10:01 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

So it looks like I'll need one of these for the small hole?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...9erl/overview/

My thermostat:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1074/overview/
Old 04-11-14, 10:09 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

That won't work as there is limited space between the hole and the filter housing. There can't be any notches that far low on threaded part because it will hit the housing and won't screw in. Kind of hard to explain unless you actually look at the space you have to work with. I'll try to pull up a pic as soon as I can.
Old 04-12-14, 10:30 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Great thanks! Do you have a link to the fitting that would work? I've googled my bung off looking for a 3/4 x 16 bung

Originally Posted by e46m3lol

That won't work as there is limited space between the hole and the filter housing. There can't be any notches that far low on threaded part because it will hit the housing and won't screw in. Kind of hard to explain unless you actually look at the space you have to work with. I'll try to pull up a pic as soon as I can.
Old 04-12-14, 08:28 PM
Gville350

Google brought this up first :

http://www.professional-products.com...-each-p56.html

BUT don't take mine or his word for it; double-check the thread pitch BEFORE you place an order!

I'd use one of these to test the pitch if I were you :

Quick Reply: GReddy 10 Row Oil Cooler