Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

supercharging my is350

Old 02-17-14, 12:36 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default supercharging my is350

This weekend purchased a LMS kit... C2 Procharger. Not sure if I should run the kit with the C2 charger or have a whole new bracket made up to run a Rotrex charger. Is it worth the extra money?

06 IS350
Mods: BC 14K/12K Extreme Drop Coilovers/ F-SPORT SWAY BARS/ F-SPORT REAR BRACE/ PPE LONG TUBE HEADERS/ PPE DUAL 2.5" EXHAUST SYSTEM/ TSW Interlagos 18s on Goodyears/NGK wideband AFR Monitor/COOLINGMIST GS PRO series water/meth kit/Tial/KN/AMSOIL OILS/C-2 PROCHARGER/.........INTERCOOLED...S/C COMING SOON DSS CARBON DRIVE SHAFT

Last edited by nikogio38; 09-07-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 04:32 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, where'd you find an LMS kit???

But as far as swapping blowers... I wouldnt. I've been running the C2 on my LMS kit for about 18 months, and 20k miles or so, pretty hard, especially lately, and no issues what so ever. If you have everything for the C2, bolt it on and have fun. The C2 has self contained oil for it, where the Rotrex i believe has to be plumbed into engine oil; So it's easier install as well. Just remember to change the C2 oil every 6,000 miles!! Otherwise you risk killing the blower.

Oh and replace your belt before installing (the gates supercharger belt). It's a huge pain to replace once on the car, and its like $18 so might as well get a fresh one now.

Install it, and have some fun!
Old 02-17-14, 04:59 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

I got from a Guy from CL.

Are you running the original pulley that it came with? I'm wanting to hit 7 psi. Did you ever dyno your setup?

Last edited by nikogio38; 03-06-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 05:35 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well congrats. He LMS kit is discontinued for some time now. If you bought it, I'd install it and change the belt and oil like Adam said above. Guesstimates are in he 50HP range for power increase. Search on the forum here for superchargers and you'll get some info from previuos members who had the kit.
Old 02-17-14, 07:00 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nikogio38
I got from a Guy from UT..

Are you running the original pulley that it came with? I'm wanting to hit 7 psi. Did you ever dyno your setup?
I'm running a smaller puley to hit 7.5psi. I believe i use a different pulley than you for 7psi, since i have smaller displacement engine (is250). I ran 8.2psi this winter consitantly and it was fine too. LAregly due to the cold weather, but boost is boost. Pre S/C (with headers, exhaust, intake) and post S/C, gained about 50whp. I didnt have a boost gauge hooked up yet to verify boost pressure then, and my wheels were pretty heavy (old Gnosis that had anodized barrels), for what its worth.

I want to dyno again now that i have my meth injection hooked up though.
Old 02-17-14, 10:00 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Has anyone upgraded the intercooler? The one that came with seems it could be taller
Old 02-17-14, 11:17 AM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've all upgraded that intercooler, lol. Im upgrading mine again once the salt comes off the road.

Originally Posted by heyarms
Wow, where'd you find an LMS kit???

But as far as swapping blowers... I wouldnt. I've been running the C2 on my LMS kit for about 18 months, and 20k miles or so, pretty hard, especially lately, and no issues what so ever. If you have everything for the C2, bolt it on and have fun. The C2 has self contained oil for it, where the Rotrex i believe has to be plumbed into engine oil; So it's easier install as well. Just remember to change the C2 oil every 6,000 miles!! Otherwise you risk killing the blower.

Oh and replace your belt before installing (the gates supercharger belt). It's a huge pain to replace once on the car, and its like $18 so might as well get a fresh one now.

Install it, and have some fun!
To each their own, but I wouldn't run the Procharger C2 if you paid me. The Rotrex c38-71 blower i have is better than the Procharger C2 in every way imaginable. Maybe I had a bad C2, but it sounded like a jar of marbles in a washing machine.

Also, the rotrex has its own oiling system with its own fluid (of course made by rotrex and costing $100 a bottle) but doesn't need to be changed near as often (50kmi/2yrs). Setting up the oiling system is a piece of cake. The switch was worth every penny to me.
Old 02-17-14, 12:10 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stewb10
We've all upgraded that intercooler, lol. Im upgrading mine again once the salt comes off the road.

To each their own, but I wouldn't run the Procharger C2 if you paid me. The Rotrex c38-71 blower i have is better than the Procharger C2 in every way imaginable. Maybe I had a bad C2, but it sounded like a jar of marbles in a washing machine.

Also, the rotrex has its own oiling system with its own fluid (of course made by rotrex and costing $100 a bottle) but doesn't need to be changed near as often (50kmi/2yrs). Setting up the oiling system is a piece of cake. The switch was worth every penny to me.
Yeah we all upgraded the intercooler.

I know you and Mike don't like the C2's, and you've both had experience with them. I really think they upgraded something because I even talked to the guys who were first to own the LMS kits and they all said their C2's blew up once a year. Mine has been flawless, so I'm thinking they changed them up over at Procharger. Wekfest judge last December talked to me about it too and was surprised that I had no problems (he was from
Cali, so knew a lot about LMS).

Didn't know the Rotrex was self contained oiling tho. I'd still rock the C2 only because you have everything needed it sounds. If it gives you hell, swap to a Rotrex like Mike and Stew, they seem to love them.
Old 02-18-14, 02:37 PM
nikogio38
Pole Position

So I'm having the LMS kit installed next week. I'm going see if I can get it dyno before and after. Car will be dyno completely stock...then witg just the supercharger.
Old 02-18-14, 05:26 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Like I replied to your PMs you can likely get $800 for your c2 and with any luck find a new old stock Rotrex for under $2000.

If that doesn't appeal to you I'd run the c2 into the ground and then switch to a Rotrex when necessary.

Stew- YESsss the prochargers I had all sounded like marbles as well! Lol

I think you're right, Adam- Procharger has recently said they reengineered the radial groves or similar on their shafts. For however this impacts rotation it's said to be a less strenuous design and ultimately mitigates the infamous premature bearing failure found in their smaller units. If you are still hammering yours I'd keep at it and not worry!
Old 02-18-14, 07:08 PM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Like I replied to your PMs you can likely get $800 for your c2 and with any luck find a new old stock Rotrex for under $2000.

If that doesn't appeal to you I'd run the c2 into the ground and then switch to a Rotrex when necessary.

Stew- YESsss the prochargers I had all sounded like marbles as well! Lol

I think you're right, Adam- Procharger has recently said they reengineered the radial groves or similar on their shafts. For however this impacts rotation it's said to be a less strenuous design and ultimately mitigates the infamous premature bearing failure found in their smaller units. If you are still hammering yours I'd keep at it and not worry!
yea im going throw this setup on with the procharger on run it until it craps out. i got your pm im still interested in a pulley and bracket. Did your every run the procharger with water/meth? Did it make a noticeable change in power??
Old 02-18-14, 07:09 PM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Hopefully the procharger holds up well.. the guy i bought the kit from built it him self with help from steve at LMS... He said he only put 3000 miles on the kit..

Last edited by nikogio38; 03-06-15 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 10:11 PM
1stGenIS
Driver School Candidate

I've heard great things about the Rotrex chargers. Never bought one before, but maybe I will one day. I currently have a Procharger in my 350z and have had it for the past 7 years. I'm currently rebuilding the motor, but the charger itself is in great condition. I didn't daily drive it of course, and the only thing I really noticed that I would recommend procharger changing is their pulley's and their fuel management. I'm now upgrading my fuel pump and injectors while eliminating their fuel management and external fuel pump.

I would love to supercharge my IS350 though.. One day maybe, unless I end up giving it to my girl and buying a GS or LS.
Old 02-25-14, 02:30 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

LMS kit all cleaned up and ready for install this week!!
Attached Thumbnails supercharging my is350-2014-02-24-08-55-42.jpg   supercharging my is350-2014-02-24-08-55-15.jpg  
Old 02-25-14, 03:57 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Jealous!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharging my is350