Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 05:28 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carderoni
That actually sounds pretty good, aside from the droning. Is that just with the mufflers and piping removed near the axle (basically an unbolt job) or cut?
Yes. Just with the mufflers unbolted, so the exhaust stops just behind the rear passenger. I am thinking that the droning wouldn't be much different if it had been piped an extra 3 feet. That's why I'm going to see if my straight piped cat and res delete with Joe Z are going to be better. If not, I'll need to fab a custom midpipe because I am AWD :/
Old 05-07-14, 03:05 AM
neilvosko
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may be an opinion, but i think that by going with a 2.25" or 2.5" straight pipe for muffler delete creates the drone.......by going with the 2" or even 1.75" pipe that fits inside the OEM pipe for muffler delete creates a change in resonating frequency, speeds up exhaust gas, and adds the necessary restriction to minimize or avoid drone

if someone else could try it and report back, it would be a good note for others
Old 09-12-14, 02:30 PM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the videos seem pretty great and the sound is not too shabby either! I just purchased a 3IS a few weeks ago and might give this a shot with some left over piping at my friends shop!
Old 09-12-14, 08:44 PM
neilvosko
Pole Position

dont get it twisted, it will drone a bit at 3000 rpm
Old 09-13-14, 05:20 AM
itBurnsISF
Rookie

I had a custom exhaust made with burnt tips at a local shop ... $150 ... just straight pipe from the axle-back, and it is not loud, and absolutely no drone. They used 2.5" pipe. Compared to my old GTO, there is so much restriction in this exhaust with the cats and the countless resonators they have on it, I'm definitely not worried about back-pressure or drone.

I can't even imagine how the cars sound with like the Invidia Axleback that does have mufflers - because even without the mufflers on my car, it is still very quiet, its got just enough growl to it to know it's modded.

I'll get better pictures once my car is fixed from the accident, but this is the only pic I got so far of the exhaust ... can't say no for $150!
Old 10-07-14, 08:52 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itBurnsISF
I had a custom exhaust made with burnt tips at a local shop ... $150 ... just straight pipe from the axle-back, and it is not loud, and absolutely no drone.
i think there is an obvious difference between something that is loud (HKS, Invidia, etc.) to something not loud (stock). This mod sits somewhere in between IMHO and therefore the noise level can be subjective base on individual preferences and taste. the first few vids i saw of the muffler delete on the IS350s sound pretty decent. I'm the type of person who likes the sound of a 335i or G37, small throaty sound at low revs and a tiny bit louder at higher revs. Because i was seriously considering this mod, i searched for more vids on youtube and i found this video, giving me a bit more perspective.. i'm not sure what you meant by "not loud" but after looking at this vid, i say its a still loud, not catback or full exhaust loud, but still loud.

Old 10-09-14, 01:41 PM
itBurnsISF
Rookie

I personally think my car is where it'll be throaty if I want it to be, and mellow if I'm just driving.

I was told from a passenger who sat in the back seat that there was crazy cabin drone in the back, though, I've never had any complaints from front seat passengers, nor do I hear any drone myself.

I don't know if a catback would be louder than this, just because a straight axleback gets rid of the rearward mufflers, while an actual catback exhaust still uses mufflers.

I'd say my 250 is definitely not as "loud" as that 350, though coming from a GTO with cutouts, my perspective is a bit different than what others may consider loud.
Old 11-10-14, 05:34 AM
Sandeman
Driver School Candidate

whats the diameter of the tips that you guys are using? I think I'm going to go with a 4.5" round tips just wondering if anyone did that before i placed the order online
Old 12-01-14, 09:46 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

I have a JoeZ axleback right now and was wondering if it was worth testing this set-up out (or am I crazy for trying this when I already have a solid axleback?). If anyone has heard both in person can you give me some feedback on how they compare? I'm aiming for a slightly higher pitched exhaust note. Was thinking about just getting custom pipes from the axle back instead of cutting my actual stock exhaust I have laying around. Also, would getting 1.75" piping vs. 2" piping make a big difference in sound? I understand the logic behind the smaller piping but was wondering if it would make a difference.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-15, 01:36 PM
chuongzzz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost786
Just got mine done last night... make a short vid while it was on the lift... i will do a proper video a few days once the roads clear up from the snow.

video:

http://youtu.be/w1eBvP-YY8A

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w1eBvP-YY8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What kind of pipe did u use after u deleted the muffler ? And what exhaust tip is that ? Thanks
Old 03-24-15, 04:21 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Got mine done today.

Old 03-24-15, 04:31 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itisme1760
Tempting...
Old 03-24-15, 06:04 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drbazing
Tempting...
It's pretty nice. Definitely a lot louder than before lol. Drones a bit at about 3k rpm but on the freeway there is no drone when crusing at 55, 65, 75 or 85 (highways in AZ are 75mph speed limit).

I've been driving with the window down all day and it sounds super beastly.

$120 for parts and labor. I kept the mufflers just in case I get bored of the vroom vroom.
Old 03-24-15, 09:20 PM
Rockstr512
Rookie

So I had my body shop in Austin take off both rear resonators and this is the sound. It's not bad, some drone but once on the highway it's sounds awesome.
The shop guy was stunned when he lifted the car up. I'm not good with mechanics and stuff but he saw cats up front 2 resonators and 2 big mufflers, which he told me quiets the sound.
Old 03-24-15, 10:20 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockstr512
So I had my body shop in Austin take off both rear resonators and this is the sound. It's not bad, some drone but once on the highway it's sounds awesome.
The shop guy was stunned when he lifted the car up. I'm not good with mechanics and stuff but he saw cats up front 2 resonators and 2 big mufflers, which he told me quiets the sound.
Is there supposed to be a video linked to this?

Quick Reply: Muffler delete?