Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 08:20 PM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
I did a Muffler delete this past weekend on my iS250 FSport... WORST Decision Ever.
No Mufflers = No Rear End Pressure which results in Huge Loss of Low End Torque and
the car sounded like a riced out civic that barely could accelerate with no low end torque. I paid $120 for the delete.. I drove my car for two days.. roughly 600 miles and I could not stand driving my car.. It felt like a piece of trash on wheels. I went back and had my mufflers welded back on and everything that I lost I gained right back instantly... I had to pay another $120 of course.. Huge waste of time and Horrible mod to do.. Trust me don't do it... I was on cloud 9 when I left the shop with my mufflers back on and the torque I got back was bliss.. I was so happy.. yet so pissed off that I blew $240.00 for no benefit to me.

I have a friend that did a muffler delete on his Q50s and it actually made his car pick up fast and came out great.. Every car is different when it comes to a muffler delete.... It is horrible for the iS250.. You will be slamming on the gas and get a bunch of noise while barely picking up speed.

PLEASE take my un sugarcoated experience as food for thought and don't waste your time. Buy a legit exhaust system if you want sound while enhancing your performance and not depleting it... an exhaust system will produce the rear end pressure and keep or boost your torque on your 250!!
I think the fact that my car is a 350 will help with the exhaust tone for sure, I am still going to get this done tomorrow as the videos posted in this thread have a great sound, but then again they are with an IS350, if it sounds like crap then I can just have magnaflow mufflers installed and then it will be essentially like I bought the magnaflow axle back system.
Old 04-16-14, 08:16 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSPORTJC
I did a Muffler delete this past weekend on my iS250 FSport... WORST Decision Ever.
No Mufflers = No Rear End Pressure which results in Huge Loss of Low End Torque and
the car sounded like a riced out civic that barely could accelerate with no low end torque. I paid $120 for the delete.. I drove my car for two days.. roughly 600 miles and I could not stand driving my car.. It felt like a piece of trash on wheels. I went back and had my mufflers welded back on and everything that I lost I gained right back instantly... I had to pay another $120 of course.. Huge waste of time and Horrible mod to do.. Trust me don't do it... I was on cloud 9 when I left the shop with my mufflers back on and the torque I got back was bliss.. I was so happy.. yet so pissed off that I blew $240.00 for no benefit to me.

I have a friend that did a muffler delete on his Q50s and it actually made his car pick up fast and came out great.. Every car is different when it comes to a muffler delete.... It is horrible for the iS250.. You will be slamming on the gas and get a bunch of noise while barely picking up speed.

PLEASE take my un sugarcoated experience as food for thought and don't waste your time. Buy a legit exhaust system if you want sound while enhancing your performance and not depleting it... an exhaust system will produce the rear end pressure and keep or boost your torque on your 250!!
So glad I saw this because I was honestly considering doing it also but I changed my mind now. Going to save up for a full system instead.
Old 04-17-14, 08:20 AM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I got my muffler delete done yesterday and I couldnt be happier with it. At idle it sounds stock and quiet, at cruising speeds there is no drone and under hard acceleration it sounds smooth and sexy. I honestly could have asked for a better mod. I think anyone with an IS350 should consider doing this before they shell out a grand for an axle back setup.

Old 04-18-14, 01:41 PM
neilvosko
Pole Position

sorry all, i will post ebay link when i get to computer....but i agree i think the 350 due to higher displacement is perfect with muffler delete.
Old 04-18-14, 02:44 PM
neilvosko
Pole Position

Default tips links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261416749955
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261422396462
Old 04-20-14, 11:24 AM
anhzie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mufflet and Resonator delete! IS350 Fsport + Ejen Intake
Old 04-20-14, 11:58 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Any better HQ sound clips of the is350 Straight pipe?

Different RPM range will gladly be appreciated!
Old 04-21-14, 01:53 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

seems like a no brainer for an IS350, i would really like to know if it makes you lose power though, but for the money seems awesome.

I would love the joe-z, but I am AWD and cant get the full.
Old 04-24-14, 12:46 PM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

View My Video

Here is a ****ty Iphone vid of my IS350 with the muffler removed
Old 04-29-14, 07:19 AM
CTLG
Rookie

My question to the IS350 guys that have done this muffler delete: have any of you noticed any loss of power since doing this mod?

Without a way to tune the ECU, some mods like this can actually cause a slight loss of torque under the curve. You may pick up a little power on the upper RPM range, though.

I don't have any knowledge of how the stock ECU is controlling the engine (Fuel, Ignition, Cam Phasing), so I cannot say for sure how these changes will affect the engine on the stock tune. I need to see what AFRs (Air/Fuel Ratio) are before and after making changes like this. I'm also interested in how the stock ECU handles WOT (I.e Open-Loop/Closed-Loop crossovers).... Etc.

Last edited by CTLG; 04-29-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 09:43 AM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CTLG
My question to the IS350 guys that have done this muffler delete: have any of you noticed any loss of power since doing this mod?

Without a way to tune the ECU, some mods like this can actually cause a slight loss of torque under the curve. You may pick up a little power on the upper RPM range, though.

I don't have any knowledge of how the stock ECU is controlling the engine (Fuel, Ignition, Cam Phasing), so I cannot say for sure how these changes will affect the engine on the stock tune. I need to see what AFRs (Air/Fuel Ratio) are before and after making changes like this. I'm also interested in how the stock ECU handles WOT (I.e Open-Loop/Closed-Loop crossovers).... Etc.
I didnt notice any loss in power
Old 04-29-14, 02:12 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took out the muffler before the secondary cat and resonator delete and it droned like no other. About 3 times worse than the HKS Hi-Power of the 2IS. My friend that muffler deleted his E60 had decent sound with barely any drone. We both agreed that the noise was headache inducing after about 30 seconds.

Granted the pipe ended under the front passenger seat which would amplify in-cabin drone, but the noise was really intolerable. I doubt piping that noise to the rear of the car would make much difference.
Old 04-29-14, 06:40 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Video of the car without mufflers. Drones like crazy and I doubt a pipe to the rear would help much.

DAT DOWNSHIFT @ 0:17!
Old 04-30-14, 12:10 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That actually sounds pretty good, aside from the droning. Is that just with the mufflers and piping removed near the axle (basically an unbolt job) or cut?
Old 04-30-14, 12:15 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

How loud is it, for the people with muffler deletes?

Quick Reply: Muffler delete?