Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS300 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 12:26 PM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 Manual Transmission

Does anyone here have any experience with the new manual transmission on the IS300?

I'm thinking of taking a look at one but don't want to waste my time if the transmission isn't right (e.g. short throw, smooth, tight, close gearing, etc.). Is the transmisssion anything like the 3 series, in particular, the 330Ci?

I want to stay within the Lexus family because of reliability.
Old 01-30-03, 08:08 PM
Cleo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey....i've got a 2003 manual...

pros:
1. more fun to drive
2. short throws
3. that's it...

cons:
1. one of the hardest manuals to master because you can never smoothly engage 1-2 or 2-3 ALL THE TIME. Due in part to something called the CDD, clutch dampening device.
2. clutch does some weird thing where it release slowly when engine is above 3500 rpm, again caused by CDD. Sometimes it doesn't even release at all and you're just burning the clutch.
3. clutch engagement is *somewhere* in the middle of the pedal movement...(sometimes i don't know where it is until, bam, the car lunges)
3. ABSOLUTELY NO CLUTCH FEEL
4. Makes a loud "thump" sound when selecting gears, unless you let the synchro-mesh gears have time to sync with the intermediate shaft by easing into a gear selection.
5. original text replaced with this: since the IS has an drive-by-wire system, throttle response is horrible...you notice it especially when trying to revmatch the engine and transmission....you have no "feel" for the accelerator and engine rpms...very odd car....

i drove a 328ci, not a 330ci, 2 years ago and it's 1000% better....so smooth and precise...those germans make excellent transmissions......

If i had to do it all over again, i'd would've went with the automatic. You MUST testdrive yourself....you can't go wrong with the auto, although i've heard that it's got quirks of its own. Take a manual for a very long drive...don't let the dealer talk to you while you're driving...listen for the thump....

Actually, if i had to do it all over again, i would've bought the 330i....BUT...didn't have the extra dinero...

BTW: the 2002 is300 is rated 2/5 by JD Power for initial mechanical quality. 2002 3-series was rated 4/5. so much for lexus reliability...

Last edited by Cleo; 02-04-03 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 08:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i read about the rating, no idea why..... what's wrong anyway? i don't see anything wrong with the car

i thought you can disable CDD right? i know some people have done that?

if the 330ci is not that expensive i would have considered it
Old 01-31-03, 05:34 AM
SmokeyBurnout
Driver School Candidate

Default Luxury car transmission

My wife and I can light the tires going into 2nd with four passengers, totalling more than 700 pounds, on board. That would be good enough for us.

Sorry Cleo.
Attached Thumbnails IS300 Manual Transmission-sigzx6r_rr_low_small.jpg  
Old 01-31-03, 05:38 PM
Cleo
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
yeah i read about the rating, no idea why..... what's wrong anyway? i don't see anything wrong with the car

i thought you can disable CDD right? i know some people have done that?

if the 330ci is not that expensive i would have considered it
yeah, you can disable it...but it will void your warranty....if they find out....

the car has been fine so far....i actually don't know why it got a low rating....no complaints except for that annoying thump which is supposedly normal...
Old 01-31-03, 09:56 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Even my wife will only drive manual, come on guy, there shouldn't even be a choice, especially if you plan on upgrading it, stock auto trannies can usually only go so far.
Old 02-02-03, 10:05 AM
mrlexusmn
Driver School Candidate

It can be a little difficult to master the smoothest shifts at first. But you will be able to opperate it flawlessly after driving it awhile. I've had both, and I would get the stick again if given the choice. Much more fun to drive.
Old 02-02-03, 07:30 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally posted by Cleo
hey....i've got a 2003 manual...

pros:
1. more fun to drive
2. short throws
3. that's it...

cons:
1. one of the hardest manuals to master because you can never smoothly engage 1-2 or 2-3 ALL THE TIME. Due in part to something called the CDD, clutch dampening device.
2. clutch does some weird thing where it release slowly when engine is above 3500 rpm, again caused by CDD. Sometimes it doesn't even release at all and you're just burning the clutch.
3. clutch engagement is *somewhere* in the middle of the pedal movement...(sometimes i don't know where it is until, bam, the car lunges)
3. ABSOLUTELY NO CLUTCH FEEL
4. Makes a loud "thump" sound when selecting gears, unless you let the synchro-mesh gears have time to sync with the intermediate shaft by easing into a gear selection.
5. engine speed hangs or revs higher (for emissions reasons) after releasing the throttle and disengaging the clutch (pressing the clutch pedal) so that you have to wait a bit longer to engage the next gear.

i drove a 328ci, not a 330ci, 2 years ago and it's 1000% better....so smooth and precise...those germans make excellent transmissions......

If i had to do it all over again, i'd would've went with the automatic. You MUST testdrive yourself....you can't go wrong with the auto, although i've heard that it's got quirks of its own. Take a manual for a very long drive...don't let the dealer talk to you while you're driving...listen for the thump....

Actually, if i had to do it all over again, i would've bought the 330i....BUT...didn't have the extra dinero...

BTW: the 2002 is300 is rated 2/5 by JD Power for initial mechanical quality. 2002 3-series was rated 4/5. so much for lexus reliability...
Cleo, I completely agree with everything you said about the IS300 manual. I would never get an IS300 manual again.
Old 02-02-03, 08:30 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

You guys have to remember we have an OBDII car. From what I understand, the RPMs hang for a second is because it lowers emissions. It is the ecu that causes the throttle to stay up for that short time causing it. With my standalone, I don't have it anymore.
Old 02-04-03, 06:19 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman
You guys have to remember we have an OBDII car. From what I understand, the RPMs hang for a second is because it lowers emissions. It is the ecu that causes the throttle to stay up for that short time causing it. With my standalone, I don't have it anymore.

...yeah but, you shouldn't have to spend another $1300 for a stand alone ECU whne you buy a new car, I bought a 2001 IS 300 auto new, and actually it had some issues, that were solved in the 2002 model, which is exactly why I traded it in after only 13K miles....of course they only gave me 25.5K for the trade-in but I didn't care, my 2002 has had zero problems......and manual..no way...with my hands already full with a quad shot mocha, cell phone, changing CD's, wife's boobies, etc......no time to shift
Old 02-04-03, 04:39 PM
Cleo
Driver

Talking

Originally posted by AlBoston
Cleo, I completely agree with everything you said about the IS300 manual. I would never get an IS300 manual again.
thank you, Al...you're the first person who has said that the manual sucks big time....so many people are too caught up in this whole "Lexus" image...the car's not that great...they think just because it's a lexus it was meant to work that way, the transmission that is...over at is300.net, everytime i complain about the transmission, i get flamed big time....thanks for your support!!!
Old 02-04-03, 05:13 PM
Cleo
Driver

Originally posted by Turbo'd_Wxman
yes, you're right about that....i've edited my original post and replaced with something else that's a problem (affects both manual and auto but more perceptible in manual)
Old 02-09-03, 06:34 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Cleo, how many miles do you have? I am at 11.9k I can now finally get smooth engagements from 1-2 and 2-3. For about the first five minutes of driving the tranny will make a light deep grinding noise from 1-2 (clutch all the way down). It pisses the hell out of me, Lexus dealer is working with me to try and fix the problem. The 325i i drove b4 buying the IS300 had a MUCH BETTER manual. The IS tranny makes me hate driving manual. I love the car, just wish I got the E-shift.
Old 02-11-03, 10:08 PM
Melissa
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy I am so confused!!!

I don't know which car to buy. I would never get an automatic. The IS300 was very "notchy" when I test drove. Maybe another test drive is in order. The Mazda6 has a very nice shifter, but has less residual value.
Old 02-13-03, 03:42 PM
r.maestas
Driver

Exclamation

Hey guys...

I just bought an '03 5spd LSD in december...before I bought it, I did drive the 330i and the 330cic. Dont get me wrong, the beamers are nice, but I LOVE TO DRIVE MY IS!!! Its all about personal preference. The only hard shifts I notice with my IS are when it is cold and/or granny shifting. There is the 'tranny thump' from 1-2 and 2-3, but I feel it gives the 5spd IS some character...there are SO many cars that have something that sets it apart from its competitors...the 'tranny thump' is just one of them. If this 'thump' was doing something detrimental to the drivetrain then it would not be cool. BUT THAT IS THE TRANNY'S CHARACTERISTIC. The throws are short, it is fun, but like any manual tranny, there is some getting use to. It took me about two days to be able to predict the clutch. Probably due to its breaking in. I have 4k on it now...I can drive it smooth if I want or dog it if I want (cause that's fun sometimes). There is a lack of throttle response to me...probably cause it is still bone stock...

the only thing I would change is keep those ratios, just add a 6th speed!!! 5th could be taller...

TWO WORDS...PERSONAL PREFERANCE

Quick Reply: IS300 Manual Transmission