Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo or superchargers for the 2014 IS 350

Old 08-21-14, 10:14 PM
alexisfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live somewhere with ethanol you can run 15+ pounds of boost and get huge gains. Compression limitations are much less limiting with e85.
Old 08-27-14, 08:25 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any car can be supercharged or turbo-ed aka Forced Induction. Generally, the more air = the more power and stress to the internal components. Turbo has turbo lag as the exhaust has to flow, before the fins can spin and compress. Supercharger has no lag, but it directly drain the whole engine off the power 10-15% of it.

I honestly think, if you want a mods friendly vehicle, you are on the wrong one. Lexus are for luxury, social symbols/status (FE, Lexus IS250 vs STI,and people think your Lexus is more Expensive, always.) Others AWD performance would be VW GTI, Golf R, Subaru STI/WRX, and Mitsubishi Evo. Those are aftermarket friendly, as many people knows how to work on them, parts are readily available anywhere, cheap. Still, going to mod your vehicle = tons of money wasted.

Here are my ultimate questions, why do you want more power ?

Do you just want to meet people at car meet, coffee and car, and brag about how you can poor your money on the car for more power on the Dyno, and never actually race ?

Do you race ? Do you auto cross ?

What will you gain from having more power ?
Old 09-22-14, 01:03 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Would this work on IS'? An Lotus Evora S Supercharger. I believe it is a same engine derived from camry v6 that uses Eaton supercharger.

http://www.lotuscars.com/our-cars/current-range/evora-s

Last edited by jkonquer; 09-22-14 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 08:29 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Any car can be supercharged or turbo-ed aka Forced Induction. Generally, the more air = the more power and stress to the internal components. Turbo has turbo lag as the exhaust has to flow, before the fins can spin and compress. Supercharger has no lag, but it directly drain the whole engine off the power 10-15% of it.

I honestly think, if you want a mods friendly vehicle, you are on the wrong one. Lexus are for luxury, social symbols/status (FE, Lexus IS250 vs STI,and people think your Lexus is more Expensive, always.) Others AWD performance would be VW GTI, Golf R, Subaru STI/WRX, and Mitsubishi Evo. Those are aftermarket friendly, as many people knows how to work on them, parts are readily available anywhere, cheap. Still, going to mod your vehicle = tons of money wasted.

Here are my ultimate questions, why do you want more power ?

Do you just want to meet people at car meet, coffee and car, and brag about how you can poor your money on the car for more power on the Dyno, and never actually race ?

Do you race ? Do you auto cross ?

What will you gain from having more power ?
You know, I hate posts like this because they offer basically nothing of value to the community or to the OP that asked the questions.

Why do you care if someone want's to turbocharge their IS?

I like my IS quite a bit, but I'd like it a lot more if it packed another 60 horsepower or so.

Your opinions about wasted money and what a Lexus is for are both irrelevant and uninteresting to me. I could give half a crap about what you think about the mods I choose to put into my Lexus.

However, when you come on forums and spout that crap it further deters aftermarket support from ever really developing because companies see a community that says "why would you want to do XX" as opposed to "hey, I can't wait until I can do XX". Would you create a product for a market that does that?

So what will I gain from having more power? More bloody power, that's what. It'll make a car I currently enjoy into a car I *really* enjoy. Why would I want to look at BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Infinity (all of which offer more performance than the IS) if I have a solution for my IS to give it more power?

</rant>
Old 09-26-14, 08:24 AM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a790
You know, I hate posts like this because they offer basically nothing of value to the community or to the OP that asked the questions.

Why do you care if someone want's to turbocharge their IS?

I like my IS quite a bit, but I'd like it a lot more if it packed another 60 horsepower or so.

Your opinions about wasted money and what a Lexus is for are both irrelevant and uninteresting to me. I could give half a crap about what you think about the mods I choose to put into my Lexus.

However, when you come on forums and spout that crap it further deters aftermarket support from ever really developing because companies see a community that says "why would you want to do XX" as opposed to "hey, I can't wait until I can do XX". Would you create a product for a market that does that?

So what will I gain from having more power? More bloody power, that's what. It'll make a car I currently enjoy into a car I *really* enjoy. Why would I want to look at BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Infinity (all of which offer more performance than the IS) if I have a solution for my IS to give it more power?

</rant>
Hells yes sir!!!!
Old 10-24-14, 09:00 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by byujakedmb
So I am completely new to Lexus (just switched over from subaru). Just got the 2014 is 350 f sport, and I am in some desperate need of some more power/torque. From what I have researched, there are not a lot of options out there yet (understandably). So my question is, what is typical for this line of Lexus. In the past has there been quick aftermarket interest in turbo or supercharger production? Are there any logistical limitations to such an addition to this car that would prevent these products from coming to market? Has anyone announced any products that push the car closer to 350-400 hp? Thanks for any info and excuse my ignorance. I imagine it shouldn't be too much of a transition considering the japanese heritage of both of these companies, but I haven't had any time to get under the hood and check out what kind of possibilities await. Cheers!
Trade it in on a used IS-F.
Old 10-24-14, 06:23 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
</rant>
But it is true that, within reason, there isn't much that can be done, especially compared to turbocharged cars, which not only start-out with more torque, but are easily modded to allow more boost and thus power.
Old 10-24-14, 07:13 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@a790 : it is your car, and money, do what you want with it. @dizlex: thank you... It is the fact if some one want to have a modified car, it would always be easier to purchase a car with big after market support. Such as Evo, STI....smaller market support = you can't find part when it break! or it would be 3-4x more expensive to work on. Again, somebody need to start out the trend. A790 may be that person, go turbo charge your car....develop kits...support the platform. Remember to make a progression thread.
Old 02-02-15, 02:36 PM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm liking this thread. Considering doing a custom SC on my 2014 IS 350 but not for power. More for aesthetics and the BOV sound.
The following users liked this post:
Mathieu (04-04-17)
Old 02-03-15, 07:22 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will always have people like the person up above that asks WHY DO YOU NEED TO MOD IT!!

Um...because i want to, and I have the money to do so. Plain and simple.

To be honest, boosting this car (the IS) is going to be a wasted effort to be entirely honest. Since the ECU is locked by Toyota, unless you swap to an aftermarket ECU, you will never be able to get any gains from it. You MUST tune the car in order to gain anything.

Thus, anything that Lexus builds, you will not be able to really mod beyond the basic boltons, which again, will be nullified once the ECU recalibrates the fuel trims.

To the person that said "get an IS-F", you will end up in the same situation again. An untunable car, thus after basic boltons, you're screwed.

OP, you can mod it, but don't expect earth shattering changes. If I could recommend, buy another car and begin to make something out if it.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-03-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 06:10 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You will always have people like the person up above that asks WHY DO YOU NEED TO MOD IT!!

Um...because i want to, and I have the money to do so. Plain and simple.

To be honest, boosting this car (the IS) is going to be a wasted effort to be entirely honest. Since the ECU is locked by Toyota, unless you swap to an aftermarket ECU, you will never be able to get any gains from it. You MUST tune the car in order to gain anything.

Thus, anything that Lexus builds, you will not be able to really mod beyond the basic boltons, which again, will be nullified once the ECU recalibrates the fuel trims.

To the person that said "get an IS-F", you will end up in the same situation again. An untunable car, thus after basic boltons, you're screwed.

OP, you can mod it, but don't expect earth shattering changes. If I could recommend, buy another car and begin to make something out if it.

I really respect your input and opinion; however, it is a little unnecessary but thank you for educating me...and SARD Racing does have access to the maps straight from the Toyota Motor Corp. Of course you'd have to pay for the premiums but it's available. Hope you have a great day.
Old 03-23-15, 10:47 AM
Patrick047
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Velocity
Wow... There are some very constructive suggestions here.
I am looking for more power too just like OP.
I am sure OP would love to have a LFA and so do I.
Now how much do you guys want to sponsor him?
Lolololol this is great.
The following users liked this post:
Mathieu (04-04-17)
Old 10-24-17, 05:20 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but I thought we should update it.

We can tune the 3IS, and we have just released our 3IS Supercharger Kit, with Stage 1 rated at 366whp (about 430 crank hp), fully tuned and reliable:

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-R...isxscr1001.htm

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-24-17, 02:41 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shirosan
I'm liking this thread. Considering doing a custom SC on my 2014 IS 350 but not for power. More for aesthetics and the BOV sound.
I am also liking this thread. I am also of the belief that if you want to add power you can and there are finally some real solutions out there,
Old 10-24-17, 02:44 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

I don't know about this assessment anymore. The guys at RR-Racing are working on some compelling projects, which includes an ECU re-flash and a supercharger kit. Video is posted a couple of posts above, I recommend you check it out and follow their build thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo or superchargers for the 2014 IS 350