IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 09:50 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You just need a piggyback computer and a trip to the dyno. I used a SAFC2 from apexi on my Tacoma back in the day. I'm sure someone makes something that works on the same principles, intercept the MAF signal and manipulate it to alter the AF ratio in open loop.
Old 05-12-14, 11:09 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

So the SC with the 1JZ motor people used to turbo. As well, the Scion have turbo kits out so there has to be a reflash or a piggy back available. The most reputable Toyota Tuner I know is Sean Ivy for the 2Jz. Yet, I know with my friends car, there was a lot of splicing in his harness for his Supra Twin turbo. Im intrigued. I wonder with some know how, if you can splice into our harness for the same effect. I wouldnt take that gamble on my car, but someone with the stones that wants to void their warranty can. lol
Old 05-13-14, 08:19 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
So the SC with the 1JZ motor people used to turbo. As well, the Scion have turbo kits out so there has to be a reflash or a piggy back available. The most reputable Toyota Tuner I know is Sean Ivy for the 2Jz. Yet, I know with my friends car, there was a lot of splicing in his harness for his Supra Twin turbo. Im intrigued. I wonder with some know how, if you can splice into our harness for the same effect. I wouldnt take that gamble on my car, but someone with the stones that wants to void their warranty can. lol
They're most likely using a standalone like AEM or one of the other standalone ECUs available on the market.

I'm a former Dyno tuner and have tuned lots of Supras, most of which we're running AEM standalone ECUs. My main expertise was Honda and Mitsubishi. I use to work for Hondata and helped develop the K-Pro ECU from Hondata. I was also one of the first people in the world to turbo-charge the Acura RSX Type-S.
Old 05-13-14, 06:33 PM
RCIDeXTeR
Driver School Candidate

found some chip on ebay.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-PERFOR...8fdf6a&vxp=mtr
fake?
Old 05-14-14, 08:51 AM
Pralix
Rookie

It would be nice if something like the Cobb Accessport supported the IS. Dynamic ECU changes and no warranty problems.
Old 05-21-14, 09:10 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pralix
It would be nice if something like the Cobb Accessport supported the IS. Dynamic ECU changes and no warranty problems.
Agreed, but I'm not sure that tuners like Accessport and SCT are invisible to dealers. I've used both (one for a WRX, the other for my Mustang). They are wonderful devices, and work as advertised, but the general consensus on Subaru and Mustang forums is the dealer can see that your ECU has been flashed. The Diablosport tuner (also used in the Mustang aftermarket) claims to be undetectable, but I'd still be wary of the claim. It's safer to assume the modern engines are sophisticated enough to detect a flash tune.

So, if you decide you can live with the risk of voiding part of your warranty, a flash tune is worth it. American Muscle (an aftermarket company that writes engine tunes for Mustangs) provides a warranty for their products. Their tune, for which they claim 20 RWHP, really woke up my Mustang, and to me was worth the gamble. Cost for the SCT programmer (which included 3 different ECU tunes) was $389. Other V8 Mustang drivers with my setup are getting consistent dyno results of 390RWHP (the stock GT is rated at 420 HP at the crank). Add an intake (and a corresponding tune to maximize its effectiveness) and you're slightly over 400 RWHP and 400 ft/lbs torque. So, 30 RWHP for about $650. This is great bang for buck.

Typically, car makers leave a lot on the table with a stock tune, and a good aftermarket tuner can exploit the margins safely. If the power of a normally aspirated Mustang 5.0 "Coyote" V8 can be tweaked by a number of aftermarket tuners, what is it that makes Toyota's 3.5 V6 so difficult?

Last edited by UncleSpud; 05-21-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 10:17 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Agreed, but I'm not sure that tuners like Accessport and SCT are invisible to dealers. I've used both (one for a WRX, the other for my Mustang). They are wonderful devices, and work as advertised, but the general consensus on Subaru and Mustang forums is the dealer can see that your ECU has been flashed. The Diablosport tuner (also used in the Mustang aftermarket) claims to be undetectable, but I'd still be wary of the claim. It's safer to assume the modern engines are sophisticated enough to detect a flash tune.

So, if you decide you can live with the risk of voiding part of your warranty, a flash tune is worth it. American Muscle (an aftermarket company that writes engine tunes for Mustangs) provides a warranty for their products. Their tune, for which they claim 20 RWHP, really woke up my Mustang, and to me was worth the gamble. Cost for the SCT programmer (which included 3 different ECU tunes) was $389. Other V8 Mustang drivers with my setup are getting consistent dyno results of 390RWHP (the stock GT is rated at 420 HP at the crank). Add an intake (and a corresponding tune to maximize its effectiveness) and you're slightly over 400 RWHP and 400 ft/lbs torque. So, 30 RWHP for about $650. This is great bang for buck.

Typically, car makers leave a lot on the table with a stock tune, and a good aftermarket tuner can exploit the margins safely. If the power of a normally aspirated Mustang 5.0 "Coyote" V8 can be tweaked by a number of aftermarket tuners, what is it that makes Toyota's 3.5 V6 so difficult?
For GM, and my Camaro, aftermarket tunes modify the transmission shifting, remove the stupid AFM (Active Fuel Management - the 4 cylinder deactivation function) and increase HP. But, as stated above, GM can see the ECU has been flashed and you risk voiding your warranty. Some dealers are ****** about it; some aren't.
The 6 cylinder gen 5 Camaro has had at least 2 different ECU manufacturers... I don't recall which (maybe Bosch?) but one of them was a pain in the *** for the tuners to break.
Maybe the same is true here?
Old 05-24-14, 01:36 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCIDeXTeR
Probably. If this were the real thing, it would be the bargain of the century: 36HP/35/TQ for $160.
Old 05-29-14, 08:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
if you had the ability to reflash your toyota ECM, you'd be one very rich man/woman
For a while, then you will lose it all on legal expenses and fines, plus jail time.
Old 05-30-14, 09:17 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
For a while, then you will lose it all on legal expenses and fines, plus jail time.
There is nothing illegal about flash tuning a car.

Mike
Old 08-23-14, 08:09 PM
MrBalistic
Rookie

Default Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?

I came across this today and though I would share it with you guys to see your experience/questions/concerns. This seems to be a big step for the IS250/350 Platform but currently have no research to back it up. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.vrtuned.com/shop/vr-tuned...150780916.html
Attached Thumbnails Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?-vr.jpg  
Old 08-23-14, 09:43 PM
freal
Driver

I too would like to see what some of our veteran members/techs have to say about this.
Old 08-23-14, 10:44 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

i think its a fake... since not even a hand full of tuners out there can map the north american Lexus/Toyota ecu... so far only SARD hav a tune for the USDM ISF... others i think are JDM only unless listed otherwise..
Old 08-24-14, 12:14 AM
DonLex123
Rookie

Say's the 'new programming tool gets around the vehicles anti tuning security on the ECU'. First time I see this product on the Vivid Racing website, interesting. Installation is simple enough but does it really work...Who's gonna be the 1st Guinea Pig? If I had cash to burn at the moment I'd check it out just to see if the car does respond and feel a lot better. It doesn't mention what year IS this product is for so would have to call them up.

Last edited by DonLex123; 08-24-14 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 06:35 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No research... Don't buy it! I'd just get a mapecu3 to be honest...

Quick Reply: Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?